thefoamstore.ca The Simply Perfect Mattress

Hi Phoenix,

Happy holidays and thank you for providing such a valuable resource to everyone.

I was hoping to get your advice on this mattress.

It only has 2 layers: 3" of 5lb Cool Gel Memory foam and a 5" base of 2535FR polyurethane foam.
The HD foam is 2.5lbs with ILD of 35 (can also choose 27).
The ILD of the gel memory foam layer wasn’t provided.

I tried it out in person and it was quite comfortable but I’m not sure if this is a good/durable design; a lot of the mattresses discussed here have 3+ layers. I’m 5’10" 180lbs and a sidesleeper if that matters.

Thanks,

-Harmful

Hi Harmful,

The ILD of memory foam can change in response to temperature, humidity, and the length of time it is compressed so the ILD rating of memory foam isn’t particularly meaningful and when you are testing a mattress locally then the ILD/IFD of the layers aren’t important to know anyway because your testing will tell you everything you need to know about whether the mattress is soft or firm enough for you.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here.

Assuming you have carefully tested the mattress in person (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial) and you are confident that the mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and you will sleep well on it and you have confirmed that the foams are either made in North America or are CertiPUR certified (so you are comfortable they are “safe enough”) then it uses high quality/density and durable materials and there are no weak links in the materials or the mattress in terms of durability. If it also compares well to your other finalists based on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then it would certainly be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for the quick reply.
I do believe this mattress is a good match in terms of PPP and the foam is made locally as well.

My only concern was that the design was too basic with just a 3" layer of 5lb gel memory foam over 5" of 2.5lb HD foam.
Compared to something from novosbed.ca which has several layers (some with air flow passages).
It’s very subjective, but do you think all those extra layers help with cooling at all or just a gimmick?

I’ll likely place an order once they’re back open from holidays and post a quick review here.

Hi Harmful,

If a mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP then how “basic” the design is makes no difference at all.

There is more about convoluted foam in post #2 here. Convoluted foam underneath memory foam can have “some effect” on ventilation and sleeping temperature but the effect would be greater if there was also a pathway for the air to go through the memory foam layers into the convoluted channels below it and out to the environment and it would also depend on how much the air channels compress or “close off” when you sleep on them so the effect may be minimal (see post #2 here about cooling down memory foam). How much effect it has would depend on how much airflow there is through the top memory foam layers and on the combined effect of all the other variables that can affect sleeping temperature as well (see post #2 here).

Phoenix