Therapedic mattresses

Today my wife and I visited Boston Bed in Cambridge, MA. We like their Therapedic Mattresses:
“Blue Lagoon”: 2" layer of Eco-based Gel Memory Foam 1" Latex Enhanced Support Layer 5.25"-1.8 High Density Foam and
“Blue Essence: 2” layer of Eco-based Gel Memory Foam 2"-5# Hi Support Memory Foam 1" Latex Enhanced Support Layer 6"-1.8 High Density Foam. Any thoughts on the quality of these mattresses or other mattresses that compare that may be better buys. The prices were $1099 and $1299 respectively. One thing that we learned quickly was that Latex mattresses have a very different feel (quite springy) so we crossed those quickly off our list. Many thanks!

Hi Boston124,

Therapedic is a licensee group (see post #2 here) so the mattresses they make and the specs of their mattresses can be different depending on which factory makes them in different areas of the country but the EcoGel memory foam is generally 4 lbs density (I would confirm this with the manufacturer to make sure they haven’t replaced it with a different density) and the “latex enhanced” polyfoam is 2 lbs density which along with the 1.8 lb density base layers and the 5 lb memory foam in the Blue Essence are all good quality materials and meet the guidelines here and if all these specs are correct there would be no lower quality materials or weak links in either mattress.

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but it’s very unlikely that you will find two mattresses that have exactly the same materials, components, and specs so in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) the only way to know whether another mattress was comparable would be based on your own personal testing and experience.

In terms quality and durability … the only way to make meaningful comparisons between two mattresses would be by comparing the type and quality of the materials inside both of them (see this article).

The “value” of a mattress purchase is also relative to how it compares to the other specific mattresses or “finalists” you are considering (in the same size of course and based on “mattress only” to “mattress only” comparisons) or that are available to you either locally or online and there isn’t a “formula” you can use to assess the value of a mattress because it depends on each person’s criteria which can be different from person to person. There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

If either mattress you are looking at compares well to your other finalists in terms of PPP and the quality/durability of the materials and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are important to you then they would certainly be well worth considering.

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t some of the other better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Boston area (subject to the “value” guidelines that I linked) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Continuing on our slow quest for the right mattress, we visited the Bedworks in Boston to compare the Therapedic mattresses we saw at Boston Bed. They have their own line and one that we liked that was comprised of two layers: a 3 inch 5 lb memory foam top on top of a 5 inch 2…6 HR form support layer. The feel was great, and I am impressed by the density of the support layer. The price is higher. $1700 for this versus $1100 for the Therapedic Blue Lagood and #1300 for Therapedic Blue Essence. Also I’ve read some web reviews on Therapedic beds that say that they sag 5 years in. So I’m tempted to go with the higher density support layer. Do you think this is a better bed than either of the Therapedics? And the sales guy (who we didn’t like much) suggested we could just put this on top of our 10 yr old box spring. This sounds a bit iffy to me.

Hi Boston124,

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress (especially if they are based on the “brand” of a mattress rather than the specific materials in a particular mattress). In many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here).

Most manufacturers (including Therapedic) make a wide range of mattresses from lower quality and less durable to higher quality and more durable and outside of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) in terms or quality and durability a mattress is only as good as it’s construction and the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label.

The “weakest link” in a mattress in terms of durability is normally in the upper layers (the top 3" - 6" of the mattress) that are compressed more deeply when you sleep on it and not generally in the deeper support layers so the firmer bottom layers of a mattress will have more effect on feel and performance than they will on durability for most people. Higher weights will compress the top layers more deeply and will compress the deeper layers more so in cases where the top layers are thinner and the support core will also be more compressed “through” the upper layers then the density of the support core can also play a bigger role in durability than they would for lighter weights or with thicker comfort layers. There is more about the factors that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people (with different weight ranges and sleeping styles) in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

If you are in a more “average” weight range then it wouldn’t make a significant difference (although it would make “some”) but if you are in a higher weight range then it would make more of a difference.

The post I linked in my earlier reply (post #13 here) can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses and help you decide which one would be “better for you” regardless of whether it would be a better bed for anyone else.

I’m not sure if you have a box spring (which has actual springs inside it that flex under pressure) or a foundation (which is more rigid and has little to no flex) but the mattresses you are looking at are designed to work best on a rigid foundation with little to no flex. If you have a foundation that is still completely flat with no sagging and it has a strong and evenly supportive surface (there aren’t any gaps in the support that are too large) and is strong enough to support the weight of your mattress then it would be OK to use but if you have a box spring that flexes or if your foundation isn’t flat any longer or wouldn’t be suitable for your mattress then I would replace it. There is more about the different types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses in the foundation post here.

Phoenix

I can provide some personal feedback on the Blue Essence product, as I sold it up until last year. My licensee was very strict on QC and that bed was an excellent product and value. Now here’s my disclaimer: You will find variations from different licensees regarding the foams they use and running changes that can be made, so be sure you know exactly what is on the inside before making your final decision.

Follow the link Phoenix provided and look at some of the decent wood slat foundations. It will be worth it.

So we opted for the Therapedic Blue Lagoon. Very comfortable, no regrets. But we did buy a new mattress cover, and even with it I find myself a bit sweaty from the foam in the places where my body sinks into the mattress. I’m a side sleeper, so that around my hip area. Any suggestions on a best mattress cover to reduce this unexpected effect?

You didn’t mention the type of mattress protector that you purchased, but if you want something that is waterproof, something along the lines of the Protectabed Luxury mattress protector line or similar would work well, as it is a very thin polyurethane film. While it is very breathable, it still won’t breath as well as some of the thin wool or Dacron ones out there. I know Phoenix has some links on this site that have more specifics about the natural options.

Keep in mind that regardless of the claims of coolness, you still will feel a bit warmer on this product because of the upper memory foam layer.

Congrats!
Jeff

Hi Boston124,

The post that Jeff mentioned that has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors is post #89 here.

Most people are fine in terms of temperature regulation with the thinner protectors that have a semi breathable and waterproof membrane (such as the one that Jeff mentioned) but some people that are more temperature sensitive or are closer to the oven end of the oven to iceberg range can sleep a little warmer when they use them and for them one of the other options may be a better choice in terms of maintaining a more comfortable sleeping temperature.

Phoenix