Therapedic-Medicoil HD 3500

What do you think of this type of bed for a person somewhere between 300-400lbs?https://www.stlbeds.com/product/medicoil-hd-3500-mattress/
I’m wondering how that mattress would compare in terms of durability vs a high ILD all Latex mattress. As durable? Do the specs look good on the HD 3500?

Hi HeavySleeper11,

The top 2" layer of 1.8 lb polyfoam is just a little less than the 2 lb minimum I normally suggest in the durability guidelines for a top layer that is more than “about an inch or so” thick for someone in your weight/BMI range but the mattress is inner tufted which precompresses all the layers and will improve the durability of all the layers including the top layer and helps to reduce the risk of premature softening and sagging so overall there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress relative to someone in your weight/BMI range.

It may also be worth talking with Jeff at Mattress to Go who also sells some of the Medicoil HD mattresses at some very good prices so you can use them as a pricing reference.

While the Medicoil HD would certainly be a durable choice … a firm latex mattress would be more durable yet.

Referring to your other topic about foundations as well … with your higher weight/BMI range I would also suggest their HD wood slat foundation rather than the forever foundation you mentioned because the support surface area would provide better support for the mattress and reduce the risk that the mattress would sag into the gaps over time.

Phoenix

Hy, Phoenix, thanks again for your super prompt responses. You are not only a wellspring resource for all of us in the dark before pulling the trigger on a $2000+ bed, but you offer opposing opinions to yours and provide excellent references (links)…that’s rare from what I’ve encountered in Mattress Sales Land - many authorities, few answers. Thanks again

Hi HeavySleeper11,

I just talked with Jeff at Mattress to go who read the forum topic and emailed me to let me know that the specs you listed are incorrect. The models that end in 500 are two sided mattresses and aren’t tufted while the models that end in 000 are one sided and are tufted. He also said that the specs he initially received from his factory weren’t correct so this is where the confusion may come from.

Having said that … a two sided mattress also improve the durability of the materials in a mattress (as long as you flip and rotate it on a regular basis … see post #3 here) so my comments would be similar if you replaced the word “tufted” with “two sided” in my original reply and it would still be a suitable and durable choice for your weight/BMI range … just for different reasons.

That also explains why the 3500 is more costly than the 3000 which has an extra inch of latex because the 3500 has foam layers on both sides of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for the information. It is much appreciated.