Thickness of Latex Mattress

Hello,
I have been researching mattresses for awhile and the Mattress Underground provided quite an education. I believe I have narrowed my search down to Talalay blended latex and the website I am choosing (at least for now) is Sleep EZ.

I need mattresses for my 2 daughters (twin mattresses) and my husband and me (E King). It was recently confirmed that my daughters have dust mite allergies and so I need to get new mattresses and landed on latex. My husband and I have a mattress that is 17+ years old and need a new one. My husband suffers from many aches and pains, and we are both side sleepers at times.

I am wondering what would be the necessary depth/configuration of the mattresses. Both of my daughters are petite and will likely never see 110 lbs. fully grown (my older daughter is fully grown and is about 100 lbs.). Sleep EZ is having a sale on 6" and 8" mattresses and I am wondering if the 8" one would be sufficient. Also, should I have layering of soft, med, and then firm on bottom? I know the best way is to try them out, but there is no place to do that around here (Philadelphia area), to do that.

I have the same question for my bed. My husband is about 160 lbs. and I am 135 lbs. - do we need more than an 8" mattress? Is soft (top), med., firm (bottom) a safe bet? We are also looking to get an adjustable base for our bed. Can anyone recommend the Ergomotion 100?

I plan to call Sleep EZ, but was hoping for some feedback here first. Thanks so much!

FWIW I donā€™t think you will have any problems at all with 8" of latex. I just put together a mattress of 2" 22 ILD over 3" 36 ILD over 3" 44 ILD (basically it is a soft comfort layer over a firm/extra firm support layer). It feels great and I am 220 lbs.

Also while I canā€™t speak to the Ergomotion, I just got the Reverie Deluxe and am very pleased. The only flaw is that the latex mattress has low motion transfer so the massage feature is much more heard than felt :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! Your input was very helpful:)

Hi kfinn,

There are links to some of the theory involved in matching a mattress to different body types and sleeping positions in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here but this is only generic information and not meant to be specific for any person. Outside of your own personal testing the best way to choose which of their configurations would be best for you would be a more detailed conversation with SleepEz. They are much more knowledgeable about their own mattresses and will be able to give you better guidance based on the averages of their customers than anyone else.

In terms of thickness 8" - 9" is a very common thickness and would be fine in some configuration for most people in normal weight ranges or even approaching the mid 200ā€™s or higher. For lighter body types then even 6" of latex can also work well depending on the design of the mattress and the needs and preferences of the person sleeping on it.

Savvy Rest also makes a mattress that has either two, three, or four 3" layers of Talalay or Dunlop latex in your choice of firmness levels that you could test different configurations and they have some dealers near you that you can find on their dealer locator here.

The adjustable bed thread here has more information about adjustable beds and some sources you can use as a reference for ā€œvalueā€.

Phoenix

Rather then starting a new threadā€¦ Iā€™ll add to this, since my question is basically the same.

Phoenix - youā€™re a huge supporter of Latex and everything points to it being a vastly superior material to foam (yet all the marketing hype currently is foam or gel foam compositeā€¦ I find that funny, probably becuase foam is cheaper).

Anyways, for the deals that places like sleep EZ offers on an 8" thick 100% latex mattress, it seems like a MUUUUUCH better purchase decision over even a much thicker quality memory foam. Am I wrong in that analysis? Granted Iā€™m under 170lbs, and so is my fiance but the 8" latex offerings seem like a tremendous value over the long run.

I should say that Iā€™m currently sleeping on the ultimate dreamsā€¦ foam base with 3" latex for over a year now. I ordered a 6 as far as firmness and wish I wouldā€™ve ordered a 4ā€¦ So now weā€™re looking for a mattress for the spare bedroom and I can either cheap out and get a traditional bonell spring mattress (which I gotta admit, on initial lay, I do enjoy the support of innerspring mattresses) OR spend more money and get a really quality piece to replace the ultimate dreams as our main mattress.

Also in consideration at a way lower limit to the sleep ez latex woudl be christeliā€™s versailles which uses very good foam at a solid price point for a queen (3" 5.3lb foam with 6" 2lb base for $670 - I havenā€™t found something that matches the materials for the price)

Hi yukoncornelius,

Latex and memory foam are very different materialsā€¦ Theyā€™re sometimes described as being at opposite sides of a spectrum. The value they have, and specific layering/thickness, are only relevant to the extent they accomplish suitable PPP for you. (Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve checked out the first post, here,https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-look-for-and-find-the-best-mattress-for-you-read-first). That is to say, a mattress has no value to you if it doesnā€™t match you, regardless of the thickness or materials use - itā€™s a bit like clothing, if a pair of pants donā€™t fit itā€™s largely irrelevant if they are the most trendy, luxurious, or well made pants, they still donā€™t fit).

Also note, just because the materials on paper look good, doesnā€™t necessarily mean you will like the feel of a mattress. There are all sorts of things they do with mattresses, and as Phoenix says every layer will interact with every other layer. You need only check termpurpedic and the fleet of vendors making replica mattresses to see there is a wide variety of feels they are going for, which is more than just a measure the thickness and the densities. Itā€™s where the science becomes art :slight_smile:

Anyhow, the short answer isā€¦ If youā€™ve tried and like latex in an identical configuration, then those deals on 8" latex may be wonderful for you. There are lots of people who prefer memory foam (and they feel and behave totally different), or a different configuration of latex. To those people, such a ā€˜dealā€™ is relatively meaningless.

Hi yukoncornelius,

My own personal preference is latex but I am actually a big supporter of any materials that are high quality and durable and that match the needs and preferences of a particular person. While latex is unquestionably a great material ā€¦ just like any particular material not everyone likes how it feels. I also find all the marketing hype in the industry somewhat funny ā€¦ but more sad than anything else. The mainstream industry is driven more by profit margins along the entire supply chain than they are by reputation or accountability to consumers and itā€™s easier to charge more if you can create a marketing story that is believable enough to justify higher prices and lower cost materials than it is to use a high quality material like latex that any manufacturer has access to that is harder to differentiate. Just like in the days when one sided mattresses first came out ā€¦ once people believe a story, regardless of whether itā€™s true or not, and start buying mattresses that are based on the story ā€¦ then every other major manufacturer will start to copy the story with a different version so they can have their ā€œfair shareā€ of the profits regardless of how true the story may be.

There is no right or wrong in this because comparing latex to memory foam is really an apples to oranges comparison (and few if any memory foam mattresses would have 8" of memory foam because most of the thickness would be the much less costly polyfoam in the support layers). For those who prefer the feel and performance of latex over memory foam I would certainly agree with you. For those who have a strong preference for memory foam it wouldnā€™t be as good a choice. 8" - 9" of latex is certainly thick enough for most people (unless they are getting close to the mid 250ā€™s or 300 lbs or so) although itā€™s still important to make sure that the combination of layers is suitable for you. There is more about the thickness of a latex mattress in post #14 here.

I think the most important part of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase is the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP. Without this ā€¦ no matter what the quality or raw material value of a mattress ā€¦ it would have little value for the person who bought it. I would much rather buy a $2000 mattress that was suitable for me than a $1000 mattress that wasnā€™t suitable for me in terms of PPP (even if it used the same or even higher quality materials but was a less suitable design) because I wouldnā€™t be able to sleep on the second one no matter what its quality or value. If I couldnā€™t test a mattress in person then the confidence I had that a mattress would be suitable based on local testing and more detailed conversations with an online retailer or manufacturer and the options I had if ā€œbest judgementā€ didnā€™t turn out to be the most suitable choice would be the replacement for personal testing.

The second most important part of ā€œvalueā€ would be durability and the quality of the materials. If a mattress is ā€œperfectā€ in the showroom or when it is new but softens so much over the first few months or years that it loses comfort or support and I began to ā€œtolerateā€ it more than sleep well on it ā€¦ then it would also have much less value to me compared to another mattress that was just as suitable in terms of PPP that worked well for me for a decade. I would much rather buy a $2000 mattress that used durable materials and lasted me 10 years without undue loss of comfort and support than a $1000 mattress that became uncomfortable in 2 or 3 years or less ā€¦even if I could still ā€œbarely tolerate itā€ (but didnā€™t sleep as well) for another few years before I replaced it.

The next most important part of value would be how the mattress compared in terms of cost to other similar mattresses that were available to me. This is where I would compare the mattress I was considering with others that used the same or similar materials and components in roughly the same amounts from a ā€œmaterial valueā€ point of view.

The next most important part of ā€œvalueā€ to me would be the extras offered by the retailer or manufacturer and the options that were available before or after the purchase (that can reduce the risk of making a mistake). This would include the ability to customize the mattress and any extras that were included in the purchase price (such as pillows, delivery, a mattress protector, foundation, removing your old mattress etc).

Finally the person or business I was dealing with and how I felt about dealing with them and their business and the guidance and service they provided would also play a significant role in my purchase decision. In many cases this is more subjective or even intangible but would be important to me.

All of these together would be part of my personal value equation and would be how I decided which mattress was the best purchase choice for me when I was making a final choice. Each of us can have different criteria that are more important to us even if they are less important to someone else.

Having said all that ā€¦ SleepEz has some great quality and value, offers great guidance and service, and competes well with the best in the industry.

Christeli is also one of the better memory foam choices.

Once you have eliminated all the worst choices and are down to choices between good and good, none of the mattresses you are considering have any weak links, they all use good quality durable materials, and there are no clear winners ā€¦ then you are in the best position to make a final choice based on your personal preferences and the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix