Thickness of layers in latex mattress for side sleepers

We are about to take the plunge and buy a California King latex set from Flexus, one of the manufacturers recommended by The Mattress Underground. We are considering the 6" Dunlop base with 2" of Talalay and 1" of cotton/wool=9". The owner tells us
that their most popular model is the 10" one—same components but 3" of Talalay. I am 131 pounds, 5’2" with serious back problems. My husband is 150 pounds, 5’8" with no back problems. We have been sleeping very well on a Englander Dunlop mattress which is about 10" for ten years. This purchase is for a vacation home and it will get much less use, but we need to do what we can to avoid
aggravating my back. Do we need to spend the extra money (a couple of hundred plus) for the 10"? We do see that some of the other recommended companies have the 6"+2"+1" combination. And advice will be appreciated.

Hi scg,

This would depend entirely on how all the layers interact together (the firmness of the base layer and the thickness and firmness of the comfort layer) and with your body and which one your testing (using the testing guidelines) indicates is the best “match” for you in terms of PPP (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). This isn’t a “better/worse” choice but a choice between which one is “best for you”.

Phoenix