Thickness

As far as an all latex mattress is concerned, what should be the minimum thickness be for the mattress? I’ve found a large range, and am wondering what the recomendation is, or how to determine what would suit us. Thanks.

Hi pennycuts,

The thickness of a mattress is just a side effect of the design and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful because whether a thicker or thinner mattress would be better or worse for any particular person will depend on the specifics of the latex (type, firmness, layers, etc.), your preferred sleeping position and your own somatotype and mass. Thickness is only one of many specs that are used to make different mattresses that perform and feel differently and that makes a mattress suitable for one person and not another.

There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here. For a latex mattress, 8"-9" is usually more than enough for most sleepers and positions, depending upon ability to customize layers, but ranges of 6" to 12" are quite common.

Regardless of how thick or thin a mattress may be … the most important part of the “value” of a mattress is how suitable it is “as a whole” for your particular body type, sleeping positions, and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how thick it may be.

I hope that’s helpful to you. Are you considering a DIY project?

Phoenix

Thank-you.
I considered it, but only for a short time.
With your your help on this site, and the members, I do feel I’m closing in on my decision.
When I do, I will post it.
Thanks again for your knowledge & time, I appreciate it.

Hi pennycuts,

I’m glad the information here is helpful to you.

I’ll look forward to your progress as well as any future questions you might have.

Phoenix

Would there be a noticeable difference for a side sleeper on a 3" soft talalay topper vs a 2" soft talalay topper? BMI around 26.

Hi jsj5g,

Of course I can’t “feel what you feel”, and there are differences in personal preferences, sleeping styles, somatotypes and sensitivities, but most people do perceive a noticeable difference between a 2" and 3" plush Talalay latex topper (assuming the same ILD). This of course also dependent upon the surface on which the topper is placed.

As always with questions like this, YMMV (your mileage may vary). :lol:

Phoenix