Think I've got it...bed set up plus topper plus encasement?

First, a big THANK YOU to Phoenix and all of the members of this site! Once I got over the info overload/brain fry, I believe I was able to make some good decisions. Here’s where I am:

Mattress: DH and I have tested and love the Savvy Rest. That said, I’m leaning toward SleepEZ latex as my final purchase decision because of the better value and frankly because they are a member company here. We’re going with the 10" option with F-M-M for me and F-M-S for DH, all Dunlop.

Topper: I tend to sleep hot and DH likes a cuddly/softer top. So we’re going with a washable organic wool cover from Sleep & Beyond (purchased at The Clean Bedroom)

Mattress Pad / Encasement: I’m leaning to the dust-mite proof organic cotton encasement since it’s breathable and I’ve got a washable wool topper that, should anything spill/stain, I can wash. I like the idea of breathability and not having vinyl on the mattress.

So…here’s the question – I think I put the “encasement” over top of the wool topper, yes? The mattress is 10" and the wool topper is 1.5", and it looks like my mattress encasement would be the 12" option? The sizes seem a bit odd to me - it’s between a 9 and 12", and clearly the 9" won’t work.

Of course, since we’re moving from a Queen bed to a King (woo hoo!!) I get to have fun selecting the new pretty sheets and such :slight_smile:

Hi kmk9,

It sounds to me like you’ve made some great choices … and congratulations on your new “mattress ensemble” :slight_smile:

A few comments …

If that’s the closest to the layering that you tested and preferred and have talked with SleepEz then that would certainly be the best choice … and of course you still have good options after the purchase if you need to do any tweaking based on your actual sleeping experience.

These are also very nice wool toppers and I think are also a great choice for those who like to sleep on thicker layers of wool

If you use an encasement I would personally put the encasement around the mattress itself and put the topper over the encasement because you can both wash and air out the wool topper in the sun. The topper doesn’t really need an encasement around it unless you need the absolute “best” protection against allergens. This would allow you to be as close as possible to the wool topper and it would be less affected and compressed by the encasement (even though it’s thin). It would also allow you to remove the topper to air it out or wash it without having to remove the dust mite cover.

Quite frankly I would only use the dust mite cover if I had a significant allergy to dust mites and their byproducts because the latex mattress and the wool quilted cover are already resistant to dust mites (see post #2 here) and the wool topper would have a dual purpose functioning as a protector and as a topper as well and can be washed and put out in the sun to activate wool’s “self cleansing” abilities. Most of the wool topper manufacturers I talked with suggested sleeping directly on the topper with just your sheets on top.

I’m looking forward to your feedback about your new sleeping combination … I think it sounds great :slight_smile:

Phoenix