Thinking about Select Foam's Aurora vs Tempur-Pedic's Allura

Dear Phoenix (and anyone else with some input),

I want a high quality queen sized memory foam bed and am willing to spend some money, but I still want to get the best value I can. I am a side sleeper, 175 lb and 5’11", my gf is a side and stomach sleeper, 135 lb and 5’7", and want a mattress that wont hurt my shoulder and hips.

I have been able to test all of Tempur-Pedic’s beds locally and really like their Allura, however, their prices just don’t seem to be a very good value. Through this website (thank you for having it!) I have found Select Foam, among others, and really appreciate that they are making their beds to to approximate beds that I can actually test (Tempur-Pedic). I understand that you recommend Select-Foam and they are members here, so that’s why I would consider them at all.

The problem is that I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a $2,600 purchase without ever laying my hands on it first. Since every manufacturer uses a different blend for their poly-foams, I am concerned that the Aurora will feel different from the Allura. Do you know if there are any outlets in the SF Bay Area that stock Select Foam mattresses that I could test before purchasing?

Also, Select Foam advertises their foam as soy based, which makes me wonder if it would be as durable, or as supple, as a good ol’ petroleum based foam; and as gel-infused, which makes me think of the gel-infused Sleep-innovations quasi-memory foam mattress topper that I just gave away.

I guess I just need some feedback from unbiased folk to help me take the leap of faith or consider other options. I appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Kind regards,
Leobuck1

Hi Leobuck1,

Outside of an online purchase … the only place that carries the Select Foam Mattresses is Brickell Mattress which is their bricks and mortar store in Miami.

You can read more about “soy based” polyfoam in post #2 here. I would treat them the same as regular polyfoam in terms of quality/density so you can make meaningful comparisons based on density.

You can also read more about some of the many different types of gel memory foams and some of the differences between them in post #2 here and the links it includes. Again though … in terms of quality/durability you can make meaningful quality/durabilty comparisons between gel memory foam and regular memory foam based on the density of the foam although all the different types of memory foam (gel or otherwise) can have a different “feel” and response depending on their chemical formulation.

Phoenix