Thinking of Buying Sleep Science 10" Memory Foam Split-King Mattress with Adjustable Base

Hello All,

New to this site and glad I came across it before purchasing a new bed. We have been looking at the Sleep Science mattress and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with it. It costs $2599.00 at Costco which is about $2000.00 less than other similar mattresses we have been looking at. Here are a some specifications that I could find on the mattress:

he mattress has 3" of Sleep Science premium visco memory foam comfort layer with medium/firm support. It also relieves pressure points with its top layer of visco memory foam, yet supports body weight with its supportive base foam.

This 10-inch mattress features the Sleep Science patented Wedge, edge to edge support system, which increases and stabilizes the sleep surface, offering 20% more sleep surface and extends the life of the mattress. It also features a 2-inch air comfort layer in the middle of the mattress. The air comfort layer is made of an enlarged cellular material to allow the flow of air between the top and bottom layers of the mattress to neutralize the temperature of the mattress as it absorbs body heat. This ensures optimized comfort throughout your sleep experience. The mattress is covered in a soft velour jacquard fabric.

Any feedback is appreciated!

hoagy

Hi hoagy1969,

While I don’t have personal experience with the Sleep Science Emma mattress (that comes with the adjustable base) .,. you can see my thoughts about this combination in post #2 here.

The adjustable base is good value for a split king but I personally wouldn’t consider the mattress because the comfort layers are very low quality (3 lb memory foam and a 2" air comfort layer that is 1.5 lb density for a total of 5" of lower quality foam that could be subject to early softening and failure).

Buying a mattress from Costco is a roll of the dice at the best of times in terms of finding one that is suitable for your needs and preferences because they have little knowledge or ability to help you make a suitable choice but at least if you don’t choose well they have a good refund policy. In this case though you would be rolling the dice twice. Once to see if you have purchased a mattress that “works” for you in the short term and then again because you would be buying a mattress that uses low quality materials that may soften and degrade, lose its comfort and/or support, and no longer be suitable for you after a year or two (and this isn’t covered by warranty).

I also wouldn’t buy a Chinese made mattress that didn’t disclose some kind of meaningful certification for offgassing and harmful chemicals in the mattress and I also wouldn’t buy a mattress that had more than an inch or so of 3 lb memory foam.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the quick response. I agree with you that although a good price we will most likely get what we pay for and be kicking ourselves a year or two down the road.

We’ll keep looking and I’ll search the forum for alternate choices. If you have some brands that offer a comparable product that would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Jason

Hi Hoagy1969,

Post #1 here has step by step process (and some links to information) that can help you greatly improve your odds of finding a much higher quality/value mattress.

Once you have done some initial research into mattress materials I would always start with your better local manufacturers or retailers and if you let me know the city or zip you live in I’d be happy to let you know about the better choices or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you do decide to go with the extra risk of an online order then some of the best quality/value online choices are in post #21 here.

If you are committed to memory foam, there is also a list of online memory foam sources in post #12 here (some of these are duplicates from the first list).

Phoenix

Phoenix