Thinking of ordering SleepEZ 13000...laid on the PBL Beautiful and...

I loved it but hubby thought it was a bit soft…incidentally the salesperson told us he has never sold one of those and they are too expensive and talalay was made with petroleum and steered us to englanders with a ‘great polyfoam’ on top of the 2" total inches of latex.

So I read all the opinions on the SE 13000 and getting SSFF to be close to the PBL [assuming using talalay latex].

I’m a side sleeper and hubby is back and sometimes side [when I push him because he’s snoring]. I weigh 135 5’2" he weighs 170 5’11". i have lower back pain on occasion and he has disc degeneration in his neck [doesn’t currently bother him].

coming from a low quality latex that we’ve hated for the past 2 years but have had for probably 7 or so…don’t even know brand…awful!

before that had softsided waterbed which we loved until it started leaking…

i want it to feel like a cloud but that supports me…possible? loved the PLBB exactly what I expected it to feel like…but only laid on it for 5 minutes…

I am also considering the Plush hotel collection from CozyPure [comes with the lanoodle topper; duvet; comforter; pillows also] for $3k but want it sooner and they have zero return policy.

and the Plushbed 10" Organic Botanical Bliss [free comforter] for $2199

And the FloBed Organic Natural Deluxe or VZone [like that you can get new pieces if needed even after initial period]
$2500 and $2900 [free pillows]

Based on me, which bed and which firmness / material combination. Thanks so much. Need to order asap.

THANK YOU.

Trish

I sell mattresses in Ohio and we carry the PLB Beautiful. They are wonderful beds if that is the comfort, and support you are looking for. If your husband thinks it is to soft, go with the nature and just get the latex option foundation for your side. They are made for custom fitting to your body as a couple.

I would suggest to go in and lay on the beds again and just focus on the support and comfort you receive from any of the beds you are considering and then make a decision.

Hope this helps!

thanks for any help!

thanks beckah.

trish

Hi TnTWalter,

My wife and I recently purchased a SleepEZ with a topper. You can see what we got and fit OUR PPP hereat this topic here.

Make sure you read the tutorial on the top of this page in how to select a mattress for YOU.

Since we only slept on the bed one night I do not want to write a review yet on the mattress but my overall experience with Sleep EZ has been wonderful. Although we didn’t look at the other manufacturers that you listed in your original post. I know that some of them offer high quality beds at reasonable prices.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi TnTWalter,

The salesperson you dealt with appears to have little knowledge about mattress materials … but unfortunately that’s also the “norm” in much of the mainstream industry.

Unfortunately there are also many mattresses in the industry that are described as being “latex” mattresses that have a thin and fairly meaningless layer of latex inside it or that uses thicker layers of lower quality materials above the latex which can be a “weak link” in the mattress. There are many consumers that believe they are sleeping on latex when they aren’t or the latex in the mattress is buried under thicker layers of other materials.

I would make sure you’ve read the tutorial post which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the worse ones.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone tell you “what” mattress to buy based on “theory at a distance” out of all the thousands that are available in the industry but the tutorial will help you with “how” to choose and how to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses. There is more in mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here about the two most effective ways to choose a mattress has the best chance of being a good “match” for you in terms of PPP depending on whether it’s a local purchase or an online purchase.

The tutorial post also has a link to a list of some of the better online manufacturers/retailers I’m aware of if you are comfortable with an online purchase. You can also use these as a “value reference” when you are looking at other local or online options.

Phoenix

I’ve read the tutorials. I’ve been lurking forever here.

I was trying to figure out what would be closest in feel to the PLBB of the ones I’m deciding between. Thanks for the help.

Hi TnTWalter,

You can read a little more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” another one in post #9 here.

There is also more about the specs of the PLB Beautiful here so you would need to use similar layering (type of latex, ILD, and layer thicknesses) and have a similar cover to have a reasonable approximation with another mattress.

If you talk with Shawn at SleepEz he will be able to help you choose the options they offer that are closest to the PLB Beautiful (probably S/S/F/F in blended Talalay) although this may not be the best choice for you in terms of PPP and they also don’t have the exact same layers available as part of their standard designs. The 13000 also has a good quality wool quilted cover but you may also want to ask them about using a stretch knit cover as well if coming as “close as possible” to the Beautiful is the most important part of your personal value equation even though you may not be able to have an exact match.

The Flobeds is a different design and they use a 2" convoluted latex top layer (or optionally a solid layer). They would also be well worth talking to though about which of their options would be closest to the Beautiful because they are also very knowledgeable and experienced with different latex combinations. They also have a good quality wool quilted cover.

As far as I know … Plushbeds doesn’t use Talalay latex in their support cores and they use 100% natural Talalay in the comfort layers which comes in different ILD ranges than blended Talalay and has a slightly different “feel” as well although they would also be the best source of information about which of their options they believe would come closest to the Beautiful.

Phoenix

I’ve sent emails to the companies asking for comparisons…

I’m also wondering if doing something like the SleepEZ 10000 with a topper of sorts [love the idea of LaNoodle topper] might work…I’m afraid the 13000 might be overkill for us and be ‘too soft’. I was hoping to order today…but probably won’t hear back until tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Hi TnTWalter,

I would suggest talking to them on the phone. You can cover more ground in a 20 minute phone call than weeks of back and forth emails where many of the replies would only have an “it depends” in the answer because the questions you are asking aren’t as “black and white” as you may believe they may be.

It may work well for you but it would certainly be very different from the Beautiful.

Phoenix

OK so I’ve received an offer from an online retailer of $2899 for queen set + 2 PLB pillows.

I’ve inquired at a nearby store [not the awful one I went to]…they will give me $3099 [+tax] 2 pillows and mattress protector. I asked what type of protector [I want the dormier that everyone raves about].

If I select the talalay blend at sleepez and get foundation and it comes with 2 free pillows I’m at $2225. I originally wanted the 100% natural talalay which was $2575. Oh and I didn’t take into account the 5% discount.

Thinking perhaps if the local store is closer in price I should just go with that bed or will I find the quality and flexibility of SleepEz better?

my concern with the beautiful is the layers are glued together…seems yucky for lack of better word and there’s no possibility of interchanging.

thanks for thoughts.

Trish

Hi TnTWalter,

The quality of the latex is the same (they would both be using the same type of latex).

Which one is the best option for you would really depend on which parts of your personal value equation are most important to you. The Beautiful is a known quantity that you have tested in person but has fewer options after a purchase if your testing wasn’t a good indicator of your longer term sleeping experience in terms of PPP. The SleepEz is less costly and is “many mattresses in one” because you would be able to re-arrange or exchange layers to fine tune the mattress and they have a return policy as well which both lower any risks involved in a purchase but it will be different from what you have tested because of the differences in the design.

It may also be worth talking to some of the retailers here to make some value comparisons with the Beautiful.

Both of these are good quality mattresses and have no weak links in terms of quality/durability so you would be making a final choice between “good and good” which means that only you can decide which is the best choice for you based on all the objective, subjective, and intangible factors that are most important to you. Each person may have a different answer.

Phoenix

is there a longevity difference? will either bed last 10 years comfortably? i don’t want 20 years but 10 good years would be nice for the price…

Thanks.

Hi TnTWalter,

No … the materials are the same so they would be closely equivalent in terms of durability although there are also other factors involved in the useful life of a mattress as well. There is more about the factors that can affect durability in post #4 here.

Softer mattress will generally be a little less durable than firmer mattresses using the same material and the useful life of a mattress will also depend on where you are inside the range of comfort and support that is suitable for you (see post #2 here).

In general terms though … it would be very reasonable to expect that both mattresses would have a useful lifetime of more than 10 years.

A component mattress also has some advantages because it’s usually the upper layers that will soften and break down faster than the deeper layers and if this happens (or your needs or preferences change over time) you can replace individual layers without having to replace the entire mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for your help. Husband is having sticker shop as he lets me do all the research…LOL.

Hi TnTWalter,

As long as you get all the credit for all the research you’re doing (and of course he tests the mattress with you to make sure it works for both of you together on the mattress) then sticker shock isn’t as bad as making the wrong choice :slight_smile:

One of the other benefits to the SleepEz mattress of course is that each side can be customized if your needs and preferences are different.

Phoenix

Called SleepEz and here’s what we decided:

13000 blended T
SOFT
MEDIUM-MEDIUM
MEDIUM-MEDIUM
FIRM-FIRM
Stretch Knit Cover instead of Quilt/Wool
I was surprised he suggested this mix because I’ve read S/S/F/F but figured I’d trust him.

He recommended a mattress protector that was thin but didn’t have brand suggestions…He said the Dormier was nice but obviously quilted. Opinions? Thanks.

Just over $2100 including frame and 2 pillows [and 5% discount]

Hi TnTWalter,

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a high quality and good value choice :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback as well once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it because it’s less common for this mattress to be ordered in a version that has the unquilted stretch knit cover.

Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors that should be helpful.

The Dormier is one of the better quality cotton/wool protectors for those who don’t need a waterproof protector.

Phoenix