Thisclose to buying an OMI (Organicpedic)Terra

Hi,

First of all, I really appreciate all the information I’ve gleaned from this community these past few weeks. The mattress industry has changed dramatically since we were last on the market, and while I sometimes suffer from information overload, I’m so glad these resources now exist. Now of course I’m here with my story and with one question.

I’m 5’2", about 120 pounds, evenly built I suppose by the definitions of this forum, and until recently never gave quality of mattress a second thought. I have no general aches or pains, have slept on a large variety of mattresses in my life, many clearly of which were terrible, without any consequence. Which may explain why the first time my husband suffered from herniated discs, it never occurred to me that our then 10+ year old McCroskey mattress might be slowing his healing time. It also never occurred to me when he ruptured two discs a few years later that our now 15+ year old mattress might not be helping, even though he was up in the middle of night pacing the stairs for weeks struggling with his sciatica. And when his sciatica roared back a second time a few months ago, creating more weeks of sleepless nights, I still thought nothing of our McCroskey … until we visited my parents, where he slept on a cheap Tempurpedic in their (sleeper!) sofa, and was able to sleep through the night for the first time.

It finally dawned on me: Our now 17 year old mattress sucks. We’ve switched places on the bed (he is 6’2", 185 pounds, so much bigger than myself). We used to flip the mattress years ago but then, well, we stopped paying attention. While he’s better, even I am feeling a touch of lower back pain when I awake for a few minutes. And I never, ever have that problem. So we want off this mattress ASAP.

We read your tutorial and visited Naturally Organic Sleep in Burlingame, where we spent hours testing mattresses and discussing them with the very patient Pete. And surprise - my particular, very detail oriented husband, the one with the serious back problem for whom this mattress is really for - liked four finalists (Omi Duo, Omi Terra, Magniflex and a memory foam whose name I can’t remember), but couldn’t narrow further. He thought they all were supportive and while he felt differences between them, he didn’t have any personal preference.

I, on the other hand, the one who doesn’t need a fancy mattress at all, am the princess and the pea. I didn’t like the very soft (to me) Pure Latex Bliss, I found the Duo OK, I liked the Magniflex plush a tad better. I liked lying on the memory foam one but hated the struggle to get out of it. And I LOVED the Terra. It was plush, yet so supportive; it didn’t feel spongy at all but instead had this lively, dynamic feel. It was weirdly almost energizing, an odd thing to say about a mattress. I couldn’t stop smiling when I was on it. While my husband didn’t have a preference, Pete and I thought his alignment looked better on it too (though it’s hard to tell and, let’s face it, I am totally biased at this point).

As you know, the Terra is mighty expensive, even with the discount Pete generously offered us. And the part that makes me feel a tad guilty is I am the one who wants it the most, and I absolutely do not need it.

I have read many threads and understand I could custom make something close to the Terra, but my worry is that it won’t be quite the same. I don’t want something similar to the Terra - I want the Terra. We have kids and spending a lot of time in mattress stores is challenging, to put it mildly. So this is a long way of saying I’m very close to pulling the trigger.

Am I making a mistake? Can someone build that exact mattress? I know I could maybe do as well or better but I don’t know how many hours of study that would take. And I don’t know how much longer we want to put up with what we are sleeping on now. When we got on one of Naturally Organic’s hardest beds, our first reaction was how much softer it is than our McCroskey!

Hi sfmom,

While many of the two sided mattresses that were made 17 years ago were much more durable than most of the one sided mattresses that are sold in the industry today … I would agree and your “symptoms” also seem to indicate that at 17 years old your mattress is very likely to have reached the end of its useful life.

Whether you are making a “mistake” or not is really a question that only you can answer and it would depend on how the Terra compares to the other mattresses you are considering or that are available for you to consider in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences), on the tradeoff between the time and/or energy you have available to test other similar mattresses in your area compared to how you feel about the price you would be paying, and on all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

The Terra certainly uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress and I also understand why you like it because it was also my favorite out of the OMI mattresses that I tested as well but as you mentioned it is also in a much higher price range than many other latex mattresses that use similar materials and components so it would be well worthwhile to make some very careful “value” comparisons before buying any mattress in this price range. “Value” is always relative to the other mattresses you are considering or that are available to you and there is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one in post #9 here but it’s very unlikely that you will find another mattress that uses the exact same layers, materials, and components so the only way to know whether another mattress would feel similar to you in terms of its comfort/pressure relief, support/alignment, and subjective “feel” would be based on your own personal testing or sleeping experience.

I generally suggest visiting a minimum of two or three stores and choosing a finalist at each of them rather than having all your finalists at a single store and then when you are down to a list of finalists that are between “good and good” and if there are no clear “winners” between them then you are in the fortunate position that any one of them would likely make a suitable choice and then a final choice between them (see post #2 here) would be based on “informed best judgement” and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

I’m not sure where you are but if you are open to researching other latex mattresses and you have the time and energy and “will” to do so for the sake of finding a lower budget mattress that may be just as suitable for you then if you are in the San Jose area then the better options or possibilities I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here and if you are closer to the San Francisco area then the San Francisco list is in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thank you for your lengthy reply. I came up with Natural Organics by cross referencing your list to Yelp, and it had the best user reviews there. My son in particular gets very impatient with shopping, so I pick my places carefully. I just redid it and came up with Nest Bedding as a possible number two store for comparison’s sake.

I think I’m going to try to hit Nest this weekend, provided my kids will tolerate it. I even contemplated hiring a sitter, but that makes the mattress even more expensive. I’m quite smitten with the Terra but would he happy to find a cheaper alternative.

By the way, I’ve wondered whether the Amex 90-day purchase protection plan would help buyers who find the mattress sinking a bit, but not enough to qualify for the manufacturer’s warranty. My plan is to put the mattress on the Amex just in case.

Hi sfmom,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Based on the information on their site here you would only be covered if the merchant didn’t have a return or exchange policy and coverage is only for a maximum of $300.

Phoenix

I was thinking more of their purchase protection if an item is damaged (ie: arguing that a bed that’s degraded is damaged). I guess that is probably pushing it!

Just returned from Nest, and I’m afraid I’m perhaps more confused. I “liked” their latex mattress, and with a week of separation it’s hard to remember exactly but I don’t think it was the same “love at first lie” reaction as I had with the Terra. To be honest I liked the Bed in a Box mattresses quite a bit and thought I’d found the answer, but this forum has me concerned about the brand’s durability.

So now I’m heading towards memory foam–ideally a cooling one that’s also softer, as the BIAB cooling one is a bit firmer. But is there such a thing as a high quality memory foam that isn’t a total struggle to get out of? The first one I tried at Natural Organic was impossible to get out of and a deal killer for me. I don’t want it to be so hard to rise that potty breaks wake me from the exertion.

Hi sfmom,

That may be a “tough sell” if there is no visible evidence of damage :slight_smile:

There are many different types of memory foam that have different properties and some have a faster response and are less temperature sensitive than others (see post #9 here and post #8 here) and the thickness of the memory foam in a mattress will also have a significant effect on the motion restriction or “stuck in the mattress” feel of a memory foam mattress. Thinner layers of memory foam with more resilient materials either under or over it will still have some of the “memory foam feel” but will tend to be less motion restricting than mattresses that have thicker layers of memory foam in the comfort layers.

Memory foam will also tend to sleep warmer than latex mattresses with wool quilted covers although this would only affect those people who tend to sleep “too warm” on some memory foam mattresses.

As you’ve read … I would be very cautious with 3 lb memory foam as well.

Phoenix

After wrestling with this for hours, I was back to the Terra. I’m still tempted by BIAB because even if it doesn’t hold up as well, it is so much cheaper. And I just haven’t been as turned on by the other latex mattresses I have tried. I know we paid a fair amount for our McCroskey 17 years ago and we certainly got lots of use out of it. And then I noticed that Lifekind is having a 30% off sale until 2/20.

The beds have different names than OMI, but are they identical? Do they make the “Terra”? We had been offered the Terra with the foundation thrown in, so not sure if this is better. I will investigate further tomorrow.

Hi sfmom,

They use the same general materials and components but the designs are different for the most part. There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another one in post #9 here but as far as I know none of them have exactly the same design as the Terra.

If you are considering an online purchase from Lifekind then there are quite a number of other online latex options that are linked in the tutorial post (in the optional online step) that also use the same type of materials and components that may also be well worth considering and that for most people would probably be better value choices than a Lifekind mattress with a 30% discount.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I’m now in heavy research mode and after much Googling added Flobeds and Sleepez into the mix. I called both yesterday and as many have experienced had a great conversation with Shawn. He wasn’t familiar with the Terra but said he could get “close” if he knew it’s composition. He then volunteered to try to figure it out and said he’d reach back in a few days. I immediately liked him and was very impressed by his proactive approach.

My conversation with a Flobeds was brief. After discussing my likes and dislikes he offered that his beds are similar to Pure Latex Bliss, which I found too bouncy. The person hadn’t heard of the Terra.

I also heavily badgered my husband, who had been mostly silent while I increasingly obsessed about this. He finally coughed up that he liked the latex better that memory foam for its feel and durability. I wish he’d figured that out sooner! He also questioned buying a bed online and volunteered to check out the Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress , Nest’s top of the line latex mattress which I liked (though maybe not loved as much as you know what). My concern about the Q3 is that in organic it’s $4,000 not including the optional, and I suspect pricey, mattress topper or foundation, which is almost approaching OMI like numbers to me. I’d be more excited if it was $3,000 or less.

One aspect of this purchase that’s heavily influencing my decision is service. We have never owned a latex mattress, and it’s clear at least a minority of buyers end up changing out their mattress after trying it at home. As much as I like Shawn and am attracted to his approach, the effort required to return a mattress to him, which another poster commented about, is a significant negative for me. I do not have a commercial vacuum packer, we both work full time and have two kids and don’t have a lot of time to be messing with post purchase logistics. My husband works a lot and I don’t know if I can carry 50 pound boxes down two flights by myself. I’m concerned I would end up with something I’m not entirely happy with because the return is challenging. This particularly concerns me with a bed at haven’t had an opportunity to try first. In this regard Naturally Organic in Burlingame is my top choice based on Yelp reviews–many people report the owners go above and beyond post purchase to ensure satisfaction. Nest Bedding comes second - their reviews are good, if not perfect, but it’s still easier than shipping. Given the general craziness of our lives I’m happy to pay more in return for better service, even though I realize that service may not be needed.

The two online bed sellers that had the easiest return policies IMO are the hipster start up place - can’t remember their name - and Pure Comfort in Michigan. Both try to arrange pick up with a local charity, a much easier proposition.

Given all of the above, my game plan is 1. Get total cost of the Q3 (is it really cheaper enough to Terra to be worth it) 2. Talk to Naturally Organic to make sure I totally understand the cost/logistics of a return and 3. When/if Shawn calls back see if he thinks he can create a Terra-like bed and, if he can, see if I can negotiate a return similar to Pure Comfort, even if I have to pay more for the privilege. Or find someone locally who I think could help me both squish the pieces back in the boxes and carry them. Given the steep cost of the alternatives I’m fine with paying a non trivial amount to try Sleep Ez while also having some peace of mind that I actually can return it if I end up deciding I’d rather go with something else.

Thank you for hatching this forum. I’ve learned a ton.

Hi sfmom,

As you know I think very highly of both SleepEZ and Flobeds and they are both members of the site.

Exchanging a layer to fine tune the comfort or support of the mattress is a fairly simple process. They ship you a new layer and then you just use the same box for the old layer and have it picked up and shipped back. No compression needed. Returning the mattress is of course a little more difficult because you would be returning everything but it’s also fairly simple and doesn’t require a commercial vacuum packer (you can see some instructions about compressing latex layers in post #5 here). Of course the time and effort involved if you are one of the minority that needs to exchange a layer or the even smaller minority that decides to return it is part of the tradeoff that goes with the significantly lower prices compared to other similar mattresses such as Lifekind and this would be part of each person’s personal value equation.

You are certainly looking at some good quality options and I’m looking forward to finding out what you decide is the “best value” option for you and of course any other questions you may have along the way that I can help with.

Phoenix

My husband visited Nest Bedding this morning, and we’ve pulled the trigger on their Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress bed in soft with the optional topper. The sales manager was quite insistent that the 50/50 blended latex version is no different in feel or worse in durability, and given they charge 25% less for it we decided to believe him. So total cost including foundation was $3,400. It should be arriving in a week and a half or so.

We decided to go for it because my husband felt no difference with the Terra. He definitely prefers latex to memory foam and he was really not enthused about buying a bed online. We may be missing out on something even better, but everything considered we decided this was the best option for us. Thank you again for all your help - without it maybe we would have spent a lot more.

I will report back when it’s here. Thanks!

Hi sfmom,

If you confirmed that the mattress was a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then it certainly uses good quality and durable materials and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in the mattress.

The “value” of a mattress purchase is always relative to the other mattresses that you are considering and you were mainly considering higher budget latex mattresses so if it compared well to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you then for you it would certainly be the “best quality/value” choice.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Phoenix I’ve always respected your information on this forum with regard to retail mattress companies. However I sometimes get the feeling you focus a little too heavily on price. I understand pricing is an important part of purchasing a mattress but comparing a Q3 Nest Bedding Latex Mattress 50/50 blend from Nest Bedding to an OMI Terra is an unfair comparison. Based purely on price the Q3 is cheaper, but it stops at price.

An OMI Terra is a 12" mattress and the Q3 is a 10" mattress. The Q3 has a 10 year warranty the OMI Terra has a 20 year warranty. The OMI has a purity guarantee “if you can find a purer mattress, we’ll give you ours for FREE!” Quality and purity are at the top of the majority of our customers concerns here in the Bay Area. The quality and workmanship of all OMI products is clearly evident upon examining any of their mattresses.

The OMI 10" Duo currently has a promotion price lower than the Q3, and has all the organic certifications.

-Howard Atkins
Naturally Organic Sleep

Hi sleepoutlet,

It’s been a while since we talked :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what parts of the forum you’ve been reading (although I know you have a copy of our website on your site) but you can see what I consider to be the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here (which is one of the most frequent posts I link to and is in the mattress shopping tutorial as well).

Suitability is first, durability is next, and all the other parts of a mattress purchase (including price, return exchange options, local vs online, and all the other parts of “value” that are important to each person) are third.

In other words … I don’t focus on price … I focus on helping people to understand and identify the parts of “value” that are most important to them and asking “why” they are important so they can make meaningful comparisons regardless of price which I agree is only one part of the “value” of a mattress purchase.

For some people a $50,000 VI Spring mattress may be the best “value” available if it’s the best “match” for the parts of their personal value equation that are most important compared to the other mattresses they are considering although I would certainly encourage them to make some good “value” comparisons so that they are making comparisons that are meaningful to them.

I appreciate your comments but I had to remove the last part of your post because it was too “self promotional” which is against the rules of the forum.

Having said that you are listed as one of the better options or possibilities in the San Jose and San Francisco area lists so hopefully the customers there that are in reasonable driving distance will compare the “value” of the mattresses you offer to the other options that are available in the area.

Phoenix