Thoughts about Serta iComfort Prodigy (looking for a new memory foam mattress)

Hi all,

I stumbled across this site while researching memory foam mattresses and really like the amount of detailed information in these discussions. I am planning to purchase a queen-size memory foam mattress very soon; I’ve had my current mattress (Tempurpedic twin XL) for close to ten years and am quite happy with it, but for the queen I’ve been looking at other brands for hopefully a better bargain.

In the big brand name store, I gravitated toward the Serta iComfort Prodigy. It felt comfortable on both my back and side, and felt like I sunk in about the same as my current mattress. I’m curious to know more about the layers (density, ILD, other properties) and if the price is reasonable for the quality (high markups aside), and also whether there are comparable alternatives at lower price points.

I also tried searching for local mattress manufacturers online, but my Google-fu hasn’t gotten me very far. It seems like an option worth exploring, so if there are any local manufacturers in the South Bay area of California (just south of San Francisco) that do memory foam mattresses, I would greatly appreciate any help finding them.

Thanks

What a difference an hour or two makes. I’ve abandoned the iComfort altogether and am looking at making a trip to the FoamOrder showroom in SF. Also some of the options on SelectFoam.com look like good candidates. Has anyone purchased either the Conform Signature 12" or the Regalis HD 12" from them?

Hi karakuri,

I can see you’ve done some additional reading and it’s probably a good idea to look in other directions than the iComfort.

Hopefully you’ve also had the chance to read the basic mattress shopping tutorial post here.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the San Francisco area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix