Thoughts on Mattress options

Hello and thank you for taking a look at my assorted options – I would appreciate any and all experiences!
I am 5’4", ~110-120 lbs, female, and generally a side sleeper with an Eastern King. I reside in Glendale/Los Angeles and after less than 2 years on a Leesa, it’s sagging HORRIBLY in the middle. I’ve resigned myself to needing a new mattress and am hoping to snag an adjustable frame if it doesn’t send me screaming to the financial hills.
I visited three local stores with salespeople I liked – no one pushy, no one upselling.
Mattress Star showed me the Stressopedic Chateau Contessa for 1600. It has 1.8lb foam core density. She was willing to add a Malouf 450 base for a total of 3000. Free delivery. 60 day exchange, no returns.
CA Mattress showed me a Scandinavian Stockholm + Malouf 450 base for a total of 3000. Free delivery.
And finally, Electropedic creates its own 100% latex mattresses. I was quoted $1900 for their 11" model using old inventory latex and the salesrep is looking to see if he can get an adjustable at 1600; he seems to think he can do it. That puts me at 3500 all in. Free delivery, 10 day exchange for $75 restocking fee, no returns. Electropedic seems well liked on this site BUT that ten day exchange business seems pretty bad?

Thoughts? Experiences? Thank you!

Hi educationalinjury,

Welcome to the forum :).

I moved your post to General Mattress thread as it makes more sense here.

That’s terrible about the Leesa, sorry to hear that. And your BMI is really quite low - 18.9 (psst…I used the low end of your weight range) and you have that much sagging!!!

Generally speaking the StressOpedic, Electropedic and Scandinavian products are very good quality, but the real questions. Additionally, the adjustables and the prices quoted are certainly withing the normal range. I agree that 10days seems a little too short, TMU always recommends that consumers give it 30 days to allow your body to adjust to a new sleep surface.

More importantly, each of these mattresses is different, were you able to really test them out and see how they fit with your sleep preferences?

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress. There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you.

We mean match as in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see this post about what mattress is best for me?).

I look forward to discussing any other steps or questions you may have.

Thanks
Sensei

PHEW.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. I’m very glad to know the mattresses in question were all high quality.

I wound up going with CA Mattress’ Scandinavian Stockholm mattress. It’s not pure latex but it has a MUCH more generous exchange policy and the guys at their stores spent WELL over two hours with me.

…and my dog threw up on his floor. Can’t be a total LA douchebag and not buy from them. :wink:

I upgraded the Malouf adjustable to a Scandinavian G-96 and my out the door price was 4400. The best price I was getting at the 100% latex + Prodigy 2.0 was 4500, so hopefully I didn’t do too badly! I have 24 hours to cancel if I did!

Hey educationalinjury,

Congrats on the CA Scan. Stockholm…very glad to hear about your good experience with them.

You dog threw up on the floor!!! That is priceless, although, for some retailers and their BS, it would also be funny if dog threw up and you didn’t buy. Maybe we could train dogs to do this when the BS factor rises?

Thanks again for the update.

Sensei

Wellp.

It’s not even a year later and I am horrified to report that the Scandinavian by Southerland is sagging in the middle. AND there’s a tear underneath the bed.

This is ridiculous. WTF happened in the last 10 years that mattresses all break down so fast?