Thoughts on OMI?

Hi, My wife and I just purchased a mattress from a great local store that caries a large selection of mattresses from OMI. We chose the Duo since we could customized the layers. My wife liked medium over firm. I liked all 3 layers of firm. The salesman was also outstanding and said that we could exchange layers (at no change) if we decided that we preferred a little softer or firmer. He even offered the softest sculpted layer if my wife needs it during pregnancy. Very impressed with that customer service! It was also on sale for a reasonable price. It’s arriving in a few days, so I can’t comment yet on comfort “in house” yet. But my question is any thoughts on OMI in general? I couldn’t find any customer reviews or comparisons between OMI and other organic mattresses online. I believe they are only Dunlop (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing). I’m very sensitive to body impressions and the gradual lack of back support that most traditional mattresses get over time. I hate memory foam and sinking into a bed - which causes me to have terrible lower back pain. But otherwise, are they high quality? Long lasting? And pros and cons to OMI vs other brands?

Hi wdhanley,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress is it’s durability and the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (if two mattresses use equally durable materials then the mattress will also be just as durable).

OMI uses high quality materials in their mattresses (latex and innersprings) that are all very high quality and durable materials so there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in any of their mattresses (see post #4 here for the quality/durability guidelines I would normally suggest).

There is also more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here but latex in general is a very durable material relative to other types of foams.

They are also one of 3 manufacturers in the country that make latex mattresses that has a factory that is certified organic in addition to the materials and components in the mattress so they can sell mattresses that are certified organic “as a complete mattress” rather than a mattress that just “contains certified organic materials” for those where organic certifications are important (the other two are Soaring Heart and Naturepedic). There is more about the different levels of organic certifications in post #2 here and in post #2 here. They also sterilize their materials with ozone which isn’t done by most manufacturers.

Having said that … they are also in much higher budget ranges than many other manufacturers that use the same materials in their mattresses (including organic latex, organic wool and organic cotton) so I would normally suggest making some very careful value comparisons based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are important to you so that you are satisfied that there is enough of a difference in “real life” to justify the higher cost compared to other mattresses that use the same amount of the same type and blend of latex and have a similar wool quilted cover that are in lower budget ranges that may be just as comfortable and just as suitable in terms of PPP and would be just as durable.

A forum search on 'Organicpedic" (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

You certainly made a high quality choice and if you you are confident that your mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP and if it compares well to the other mattresses you were considering or that are available to you and you are happy with the price you paid relative to other similar mattresses that use the same materials then you certainly made a good choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, that’s really helpful to know. Even though I discovered your site after I purchased the mattress, I’ve learned so much…and still can’t stop reading all the posts! . Thanks for all you do…very impressed with your advice!

As a follow up we are loving the OMI mattress. I’m hoping that it’s possible to purchase and replace the top latex layer at some point to get extra life out of the mattress. It was expensive so hoping it lasts 10 years or more.

Hi wdhanley,

Thanks for the update and it’s great to hear that the mattress is working out well for you :).

It would certainly be reasonable to expect 10 years from an all latex mattress and because latex is very durable the odds are also good that you would have some “bonus time” after this as well. As you mentioned … one of the advantages of a component mattress is that you can replace just a single layer instead of replacing the whole mattress if one of the layers softens or breaks down before the others (usually the top layer) or if your needs and preferences change over time and there are many sources for latex layers outside of OMI as well so you aren’t limited to purchasing any replacement layers you may need from OMI.

Phoenix