Thoughts on Restonic TempaGel Matress

We just Bought a Restonic TempaGel Mattress. I know it’s a bit late now but I’m wondering what your thoughts are on this product?
Tonight will be our first night sleeping on it and we have 60 days to return it.

After researching this site I am aware that Restonic uses different materials depending on their location. This mattress would have been manufactured in Surrey BC. We bought it form Merrit Home Furniture in Courtenay BC, Canada. We also looked at John’s Bedroom Barn after recommendations on this site. He offered a 3" 5lbs memory foam topper on a poly of latex bottom. (we liked the latex bottom but the price was out of our range). We where going to buy this mattress but came across this Restonic Mattress. We payed 1600. incl tax and delv. I feel that we may have payed a little too much but we loved the feel of this mattress. My wife and I are both small framed people. I am 5’4" at 125lbs and she’s 5’3" at 110lbs. The specs on the Restonic TempaGel Mattress are:

2.75" 4lbs visco gel memory foam.
3" 4lbs memory foam support layer.
6" poly foam base.

Thank You so much for this site. If didn’t read this forum I would have bought a Tempurpedic, Seally or Serta memory foam mattress from Sleep Country, probably a far less quality mattress at our price point. They also did not have any information on the density of the foam in their mattresses which I thought was fishy.

Hi ctipz,

The memory foam is mid density which for your weight would be fine. the tempagel is a good quality gel memory foam. If you were heavier then it would have been a good idea to have 5 lb memory foam under the gel memory foam but with lighter weights the lower density likely would feel better and be durable enough.

You didn’t mention the density of the base layer so I don’t know it’s quality and can’t really make any meaningful comments about the mattress as a whole but even without this it’s probably “better than average” quality and it’s certainly better than making a blind purchase :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what the base layer is made of.

We slept on the bed for our first night last night. I slept well but my wife is having some hip pain this morning. She says the bed is to stiff for her. We’re going to give it about a month and see how she feels after that.

Hi ctipz,

Post #2 here and post #2 here may be worth reading and I would certainly give things at least a month. Your mattress has mid density memory foam which is usually less “stiff” than higher density memory foam and your layers are also fairly thick so it may just need to go through an initial break in period and you may also need some adjustment period to get used to a new mattress.

This may be particularly true if your mattress seems different from the one in the store that you tested which would likely have broken in already.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Today I woke up with lower back pain but my wife did not… haha so we’re just going to wait it out like you suggested. I hope it get’s better!

Well after sleeping on our Mattress for about a month now, my pain has not gone away. If I sleep on my side I end up with a soar arch in my back and if I sleep on my back it’s about 50/50 if I’ll wake up with a soar back. I feel that my hips are sinking into the bed while my shoulders stay relatively high. I think the mattress is to soft? Unfortunately the store we bought the mattress only carried the restonic memory foam beds so we may have to change to a pocket coil mattress or latex, my wife wasn’t crazy about latex though. Because of how I sleep do I need a softer mattress or firmer? It’s frustrating to start this whole process again. My wife hasn’t had any problems but thinks the mattress is a little to firm for her liking.

I can’t add the picture I took. It shows my hips sinking while my shoulders staying high, making a smiley face of my spine. haha

Hi ctipz,

You may be able to add the picture with explorer or if you have difficulty you can also email it to me and I can add it to your post. I’m hopeful that the software migration/upgrades I have been working on for some time will solve the attachment issues when they are completed.

From your description though … it points to the likelihood of a support/alignment issue and you may need a mattress with firmer primary support (from the deeper layers of the mattress) under your pelvis to better “hold up” your pelvic girdle and keep your spine in its neutral alignment or thinner/firmer comfort layers that will keep you closer to the deeper support layers and also help “stop” your pelvic girdle from sinking in too far… The thickness of the 4 lb memory foam in your mattress (5.75 inches) is also a somewhat risky construction and could also point to this.

Your wife’s issues seem to be more pressure relief related. Does she have any actual "symptoms or is it more a matter of the “feel” of the mattress. This could probably be fine tuned with a fairly thin topper or mattress pad but may also just be a matter of getting used to a new sleeping surface or the difference between the response of memory foam and what she is used to sleeping on. It’s much easier to “fix” a mattress that is too firm than a mattress that is to soft in the support layers or too thick and soft in the comfort layers because this would require removing or exchanging layers rather than just adding to them. There could also be an additional risk of making your symptoms worse if you add more thickness to the comfort layers of your mattress.

If you do exchange the mattress … I would make sure you do some very careful and objective testing to make sure you are in the best possible alignment in all your sleeping positions and I would lean towards a mattress that provides firmer primary support (see post #5 here).

Phoenix

So I went back to the store and we tried out a whole bunch of mattresses. I can’t seem to get good spine alignment on anything. It’s like mattresses aren’t made for people built like me. The only one I had pretty good alignment on was a very plush Beatyrest innerspring plush pillow top, but I’m weary of buying this because of your recommendations to go with a thinner comfort layer and also it breaking down over time. I know the big names are less value for the money but at this point, spine alignment is my main goal. It’s funny I have an old 1980’s inner spring mattress in the spare room that my wife just hates but my alignment on it is perfect maybe when I we go back tomorrow we’ll look at the cheaper no pillow top models.

Here’s the specs on the beatyrest. I know it’s a lot of fluff words but maybe you have an idea of some of the materials. I;m a little confused as to what they mean by upholstery than quilting is.

construction
8" Evolution pocket coil
13-3/4 ga (lux firm) or 15-1/2" (plush)
2000 Queen coil count plus 1000 Micro count

Quilting
1-1/4" Airfeel foam
1" comfort foam
Cashmere blend fibre

Upholstery
1/2" Trutemp gel foam
1/2" AirCool Memory foam w/micro geltouch
1-1/2" microcoil
1" luxury firm comfort foam

So I went back to the store and we tried out a whole bunch of mattresses. I can’t seem to get good spine alignment on anything. It’s like mattresses aren’t made for people built like me. The only one I had pretty good alignment on was a very plush Beatyrest innerspring plush pillow top, but I’m weary of buying this because of your recommendations to go with a thinner comfort layer and also it breaking down over time. I know the big names are less value for the money but at this point, spine alignment is my main goal. It’s funny I have an old 1980’s inner spring mattress in the spare room that my wife just hates but my alignment on it is perfect maybe when I we go back tomorrow we’ll look at the cheaper no pillow top models.

Here’s the specs on the beatyrest recharge world class suri. I know it’s a lot of fluff words but maybe you have an idea of some of the materials. I;m a little confused as to what they mean by upholstery than quilting is.

construction
8" Evolution pocket coil
13-3/4 ga (lux firm) or 15-1/2" (plush)
2000 Queen coil count plus 1000 Micro count

Quilting 1-1/4" Airfeel foam
1" comfort foam
Cashmere blend fibre

Upholstery 1/2" Trutemp gel foam
1/2" AirCool Memory foam w/micro geltouch
1-1/2" microcoil
1" luxury firm comfort foam

Hi clipz,

Unfortunately … the specs you listed don’t provide any meaningful information about the quality/density of the layers (which is the norm for major manufacturers) so I can’t make any meaningful comments about the mattress.

Quilting is the materials that are quilted into the mattress cover. Upholstery is the material between the innerspring and the cover.

I can tell you that the microcoil is a good quality and durable component but having 4.25" of unknown and probably lower quality foam in the quilting and comfort layers of a mattress would certainly be more than I would consider (I usually use around an inch or so as a maximum guideline).

Have you been to the other two places listed in the Nanaimo area?

Phoenix