Thoughts on Saatva Coil Mattress vs Loom and Leaf Memory Foam Mattress

I’ve been searching for a new mattress for over a year now and I’m having a difficult time making a decision. I’ve recently researched the Loom and Leaf Memory Foam and Saatva Coil Mattresses. They’ve received good reviews on various independent websites. I was trying to compare their mattress specs to Mattress Underground suggested specs and I’m having a hard time weeding through it all. Based on my limited knowledge and using the information you have provided on your website I’m leaning towards one of these two mattresses. Both of these mattress are made by the same company Saatva and this is an online store only.

I have put the links to each site for easy of locating each one

I strongly value the opinion and knowledge of the Mattress Underground and would greatly appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions that you and forum may have…

Thank you for your time

Hi NYGiants,

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There is more information about Saatva and many of the other simplified choice mattresses in post #2 here and there is more information about them in post #1 here and the rest of the topic as well. A forum search on Saatva (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them. The first post in the simplified choice topic would also be well worth reading as well.

While Saatva would be a “better than average” quality/value choice compared to many of the mainstream mattresses made by the major manufacturers (which I would avoid completely) … some of the materials they are using are less durable than I would be comfortable with and for most people they wouldn’t be in the same “quality/value” range as many of the other options that use higher quality and more durable materials that most of the members here would know about as a result of the information on this site. I would also be cautious about making a purchase based on some of “marketing exaggerations” on their site.

You can also see some comments about the Loom & Leaf in the simplified choice mattress topic and there are also some more detailed comments in post #5 here. A forum search on Loom Leaf (you can just click the link) will also bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

I would be also be somewhat cautious with the Loom & Leaf because of the convoluted layer of 4 lb memory foam (which is less durable than a solid layer of the same material) in combination with their 1.5 lb base layer which is a lower density and less durable material than I would normally like to see in this budget range and which together is more likely to be a weak link in their mattress.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Outside of the simplified choice list … if you are looking at online options then the mattress shopping tutorial also includes several other links to lists of many of the better online options I’m aware of (in the optional online step) that include many different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of budgets, firmness levels, and with different return/exchange policies that may be worth considering.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Phoenix

I would really appreciate your guidance for possible mattress stores or vendors in my area. I live in Connecticut. A couple of zip codes for my surrounding area are 06084, 06042, 06040, 06074, 06033.

I have thoroughly researched your website and all its content. I will definitely take a look at the links you provided and hopefully that will aide me in my search.

Thanks
NYGiants

Hi NYGiants,

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Hartford area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Thank you for all your guidance. I re-read all the information provided on your website as well as the links that your suggested. It seems that the more I re-read everything it begins to make more sense. In one of your links for suggested retail places “CT Mattress” was on your list. In that same thread/discussion someone had mentioned “Goldbound Matteress”. What are your thoughts on Goldbound in regards to quality and durability.

Thank you

NYGiants

Hi NYGiants,

There is more about Gold Bond in post #4 here.

I would be very cautious though about brand shopping in general because you are buying a specific mattress not the brand and most manufacturers have access to the same or similar components and materials. Many manufacturers make a wide range of mattresses that can vary from lower quality and less durable materials to higher quality and more durable materials in a wide range of prices. The name of the manufacturer on the label or the price of the mattress won’t tell you anything about whether a specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP or whether there are any lower quality materials or weak links in the design that would affect the durability and useful life of the mattress.

While nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP which is the most important part of “value”, the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

If you are interested in a particular Gold Bond mattress then if you can find out the specifics of the layers and components inside the mattress and post them on the forum then I’d be happy to let you know if there are any lower quality materials or weak links that would be a reason for concern in terms of the durability and useful life of the mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix

I went to CTmatress in South Windsor CT today. I tested a few mattress and asked some questions based on information from your mattress forum. I would like to go over the mattress specs with you and get your insights.

Gold Bond Mattress: Nettleton (store mattress brand by Tom Wholly)
Top Layer: Pacron-Polyster Blend
Middle Layer: Aurora Latex on top of Polyfoam 1.5, not sure what the ILD is in regards to firmness which is over Individually wrapped coils.

Would you please share your thoughts on the materials provided in this mattress. I feel like there are more questions that I needed to ask the salesman but I’m not sure what I"m missing. I’m not sure about the latex used in this mattress. I was told its new type. I was concerned about the level of polyfoam. I’m not sure if its HD or HR? Its underneath the latex. The edges of the bed are supported by a frame. Thats the best way I can describe it. I"m not sure about the top layer (comfort layer). I"m not sure what Pacron is? The gentleman working showed me the demo of the whats in the mattress so I was able to see the different layers.

Thank you for your time

Paula

Hi NYGiants,

Unfortunately the information you provided isn’t complete so it’s not possible for me to make any meaningful comments about whether the mattress uses any lower quality materials that could be a weak link in the design that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress.

If you can provide all the information in this article including the thickness of all the layers and the density of any polyfoam then I’d certainly be happy to make some comments about the durability of the materials in the mattress and the mattress “as a whole”.

The latex itself would be a high quality and durable material but a mattress is only as durable as its weakest link so I would need to know the specifics of all of the other layers in the mattress as well.

Specs such as ILD/IFD or other specifications that affect the firmness or feel of the mattress are “comfort specs” and these are the ones that are not important to know with a local purchase because with good testing your body will tell you what you need to know about whether a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP and complex combinations of “comfort specs” are much too complex to use as the basis for deciding whether a mattress will be suitable for you to sleep on.

Phoenix

Phoenix

I have a youtube video which I will provide a copy of the link. This video provides all the specs that you asked for. I thought it would be easier for you to watch the video than for me to try to provide you with every detail.

Please let me know your thoughts on the durability of this mattress once you view the link. This is a $1600.00 mattress with the split box spring its $1700.00

Thank you again for all your help

Paula

Hi NYGiants,

The video doesn’t include the thickness of the foam layers which I would want to know but it does say that all the polyfoam in the top layers and the quilting in the Nettleton are 1.5 lb density which is a lower quality/density material than I would suggest for a one sided mattress in the durability guidelines here and if a mattress has more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality/density polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress (which it certainly appears to have) I would consider it to be a weak link in the mattress and I would avoid it because the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown would be too high.

The spring and the side support are fine and the latex is also a good quality and durable material but it’s only a very thin layer and the quality/durability of a mattress depends on it’s weakest link not on whether there are some thin layers of better quality material in the design.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Do you mean the thickness of the layer in inches? I’m getting confused between density and thickness. When they tell me its 1.5 are we are speaking about density or thickness?

I am 150lbs at 5 foot 6 inches. Are your concerns about the weak link being the breakdown/durability of the polyfoam regardless of weight?

Thinking about all the specs required for optimal mattress composition a question nags me “does this mattress exist?” CTmatress does not sell latex mattress in both comfort and support layer and all other mattress seem to be in the range of an abundance of polyfoam.

Thank you and I guess my search continues.

PD

Hi NYGiants,

You need to know both the density and the thickness of any memory foam or polyfoam in a mattress. The “1.5” that they mentioned in the video was the density of the polyfoam (which is lower density than the guidelines) but they didn’t specify the thickness although it seems obvious that the total thickness of all the polyfoam layers together are more than “about an inch or so” in total which would be a weak link in the mattress.

Yes … it would be lower than I would suggest for any weight range in a one sided mattress. I would use 1.8 lb density as a minimum and in higher weight ranges I would use higher density (2 lbs or higher) as a minimum density but I wouldn’t go any lower in thicknesses that are more than “about an inch or so” in total. Once you are at about 2" or more of lower quality/density and less durable materials in the upper layers of a mattress then the odds of premature foam softening and breakdown that can result in the loss of comfort and support and the need to replace the mattress much too soon would be much higher and foam softening and the loss of comfort and support isn’t covered by mattress warranties (see post #174 here).

There are certainly many mattresses in the industry and in most areas of the country as well as online that meet or exceed the minimum guidelines.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in and that you have confirmed will provide you with the all the information you need about the materials and components inside the mattresses they sell so you will be able to make informed choices and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress relative to your weight range that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Again thank you for all the information and your quick responses. I really appreciate it as this is a big money purchase for me and I want to make the right decision. I will continue the search and update you with my newest finds.

Thanks again

Paula

Phoenix

I have another question.

1. When you mention that there shouldn’t be more than 1 inch of polyfoam or convoluted foam your are referring to high density foam, low density foam, high residence foam or all of the above?

2. Also when referring to no more than 1 inch of polyfoam or convoluted foam…do you mean in the total of all the layers (support layer and comfort layer combined) or do you mean no more than an inch in either layer?

Thank you

Hi NYGiants,

The guideline is for “no more than about an inch or so” (in the upper layers of the mattress) of lower density polyfoam not polyfoam in general. The single biggest factor in the durability of polyfoam is its density and polyfoam that meets the minimum density requirements in the guidelines can be a durable material. The minimum densities I would suggest for polyfoam (regardless of the type) and memory foam (again regardless of the type) are in post #4 here.

Convoluted foam is less durable than a solid layer of the same material (see post #2 here). With foam layers that are higher density and more durable than the minimum density guidelines then the lowered durability from the convoluting wouldn’t be a significant issue. If there are foam layers that are right at the minimum density that I would suggest then having too much convoluted foam in the upper layers of the mattress (the total of all the layers added up) would be a durability factor even if the density of the polyfoam itself would otherwise meet the minimum density requirements.

Phoenix