Tight budget - DIY or?

So my situation is such that I am in need of a new mattress. Being an engineer whenever I find myself looking into buying something I always become way more interested in making it!

And now I am afraid the bug has bit me and I am very interested in possibly making my own MF/latex Mattress. I am not intimidated by the education process required (made my own CNC Lathe and 3D printer) to make something.

So a bit about me and my Fiance

I am

26 y/o
5ā€™9" tall
150 lbs
side and back sleeper
run hot

My fiancee

24 y/o
5ā€™ tall
about 100 lbs
side and tummy sleeper
runs cold

We have both been sleeping on ancient spring mattresses that have pretty significant dishing (probably over 3" on mine), and hers is incredibly hard. So pretty much anything feels like a HUGE improvement.

We went into a Sleepies and tested out a few simons MF mattresses (canā€™t remember which model) and a tempurpedic contour supreme. All of them felt amazing to us. I guess my point in saying this is that even if I donā€™t design/make the ultimate mattress the first time around, anything I do make will be a significant improvement that I can tweek over time.

So for my questions/thoughts:

My budget is about $500 for the mattress
Will I save money making a decent mattress?
Are there reputable foam suppliers who will sell quality foam online or locally to frederick/baltimore MD?
Can I buy decent quality components within my budget?
Can I tweak comfort levels with toppers after I have assembled my mattress?

If you think there are better options then making my own mattress can you recommend any particular models that come in under $400-$500?

Currently I am looking at these for premade options

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063OQNYO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOFIBMXVIVCJ6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E972O8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HD9YYQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOFIBMXVIVCJ6

If you need any other information to make an informed recomendation I will try and update this thread soon as I can. We are probably going to make a decision sometime this week.

Iā€™m sure Phoenix will chime in soon, but here are some thoughts:

[quote]
My budget is about $500 for the mattress
Will I save money making a decent mattress?[quote]

Probably not

Check out this post. https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/foam-factory-any-good

You donā€™t say what size mattress you need.

https://www.amazon.com/DreamFoam-Bedding-Customizable-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00JGBXWVI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

https://www.amazon.com/Tuft-Needle-Handcrafted-Mattress-Queen/dp/B00DRR8G4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404700892&sr=8-1&keywords=tuft+and+needle

oops we want to get/make a queen size mattress

Hi URSTECH,

I would make sure youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes some basic information and guidelines that will help you ā€œget up to speedā€ about the type and quality of the materials to look for and the type and design of mattress you want to build.

If you are thinking about designing and building your own mattress with your own separate components then I would also read post #15 here and especially the part under option #3 and the posts it links to.

That depends on the type of mattress you build, which mattress you are ā€œtargetingā€ as a blueprint, where you source your layers and components from, and on how many ā€œmistakesā€ you make before you find your ideal configuration.

jankdc provided a link to a list of the better DIY online suppliers Iā€™m aware of. There may also be some local options in the Baltimore list here but I doubt that any of them would be in the same budget range as the online suppliers in the list. http://www.house-of-foam.com/ may also be worth a call or a visit.

That would depend on the size of your mattress, on the type and thickness of the layers in your design, and on the type of cover you choose. You are probably in the budget range where good quality polyfoam is reasonable but your budget is almost certainly too low for good quality memory foam or latex in a suitable design (except perhaps in fairly thin layers).

I would make sure that all of these meet the foam quality guidelines in post #4 here and that you know the foam density of all the layers before considering any of these. I would also read post #6 here and the posts it links to along with this topic before considering a Lucid mattress. A forum search on Lucid (you can just click the link) will bring up more information about them as well.

Some of the better latex or latex hybrid options Iā€™m aware of that are in a lower budget range are listed in posts #3 and #4 here.

Some of the better manufacturers or retailers that have memory foam or polyfoam mattresses in a lower budget range are listed in post #4 here.

Phoenix

The Tuft & Needle 10 looks interestingā€¦ I canā€™t find any info on what type of foam they actually are using though?

I was considering a hybrid build. Some kind of Polyfoam (6"?) base with a 3" layer of Talalay Latex. Thoughts? Sorry if Iā€™m horribly over simplifying this. I may even be well over budget with that since I cannot seem to find any pricing resources on the Polyfoam core.

The Ikea Hybrid maybe an options

With the DreamFoam 12 in 1 should I be worried about durability since it only has 2 lb foam?

Hi URSTech

No ā€¦ 2 lb polyfoam is a good quality and durable material (and above the 1.8 lb density polyfoam that I would normally recommend as a minimum for comfort layers in a one sided mattress ā€¦ see post #13 here).

This would be a good quality/value choice in this budget range that would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Thanks for the recomendations! I decided to go ahead and get the 12 in 1. I figure if I want I can replace one of the layers with a Latex, MF or Gel later. and seeing how this is only $400 I probably could not get 3 layers of 2 lb poly and a mattress cover for that. Even adding a latex layer or high end MF and I would still be well under the average cost of an equivalent hybrid mattress.

Just realized I could have gotten a free pillow it seems being a member of this site. Oh well order is placed and I canā€™t wait to get off this horrible air mattress!

Thanks for all the amazing information you have put up Phoenix. spent the last few days pouring over a lot of your posts trying to absorb as much as I could, so as to make an educated decision.

What are your thoughts on the various materials and their ability to dissipate heat? From what I have read gel memory foams and Latex seem to be the best. Are they roughly the same or is one decidedly superior?

Phoenix will chime in, but you may want to look at cotton/wool mattress pads. The wool will help cool things. Also with the 12 in 1, if you want to customize both sides of the mattress, you will need to cut the foam in half. There are posts about cutting foam (an electric carving knife helps).

I also had a question of the DIY variety, though I am not as ambitious as the gentleman that posted above.

I am looking at 3ā€™ latex matress toppers being sold on Amazon by Dreamfoam Bedding. At about $400.00 apiece for each king-size topper, three or four of these toppers sandwiched together would run between $1200 and $1600.

That seems much much cheaper than a comparable mattress set being sold by Foam Sweet Foam or Flobeds which are also really just sandwiched layers of latex.

Couldnā€™t I just buy the layers from Amazon individually, then encase them in a king-size mattress cover and save myself a bunch of money?

Is there any reason not to do this and get the full mattress set instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Talalay-Mattress-Topper/dp/B0089ZY9ZA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1404780314&sr=8-4&keywords=ultimate+dreams+latex

Your idea is basically all the 12 in 1 isā€¦ a few layers of foam (in this case polyfoam) and a mattress cover. As a few others told me though, the real unknown is how all those mattress toppers would work together and if it would be comfortable for you. If they have a decent return policy you might be able to return/exchange the toppers if they donā€™t suit you.

Hi URSTech,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all ā€¦ you certainly made a good quality/value choice :slight_smile:

If you let them know you were a member here when you made your order they may still be able to add the pillow to your order.

Post #2 here has more about the many variables that can act together to affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress. While the top layer of foam can certainly make a difference ā€¦ your mattress cover and quilting materials, your mattress protector, your sheets and bedding and your pyjamas will all have an effect and layers or materials that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect than layers or materials that are further away.

The gels that are added to foams are either thermally conductive or phase changing materials and can have a temporary effect on conducting or storing heat away from the body but the effect tends to be temporary and when temperatures equalize then the insulating properties of the foam would once again become more apparent. There is more about gel materials in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Airflow and moisture wicking are the most effective method of regulating temperature and in general terms latex (Talalay more than Dunlop) is the most breathable of all the foam materials. Natural fibers such as horsehair, wool, and cotton or viscose materials such as rayon or bamboo that can wick moisture away from the body and store it inside the fiber are more effective at regulating temperature than any foam. Synthetic fibers such as polyester donā€™t absorb moisture well and tend to maintain higher humidity levels closer to the body and sleep warmer.

The first step I would suggest before adding any layers that you may not need at all would be to do a little bit of experimentation with the layers in the 12 in 1 and then decide if you need to add anything else.

Phoenix

Hi Soldmyfortune,

You could yes ā€¦ but the ā€œtrickā€ that may take some knowledge and experience along with some trial and error is in buying the ā€œrightā€ layers and firmness levels so that your mattress will work well for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you are considering designing your own mattress out of individual layers or components I would first read Option #3 in post #15 here and the other posts it links to so you have more realistic expectations of your initial success (before you start adding or changing layers) along with any savings you may or may not realize and the costs that may be involved if you make any mistakes and canā€™t exchange or return a layer. A good quality cover can also be a significant part of the feel and performance of a mattress ā€¦ and the cost involved in the components that go into it.

Phoenix

So I am thinking about making my own platform bed. Regarding the slat spacing, I know the guides generally recommend no more than 3" between the slats. Is it possible for the slats to be too close together? What would the ideal slat spacing range for my polyfoam mattress be?

Hi URSTech,

This is a recommendation for mattresses that have a latex support core because latex is more flexible than polyfoam and can sink into gaps more easily over time. For a mattress that has a polyfoam support core then wider gaps would be fine although more slats and narrower gaps would still provide a more even and supportive surface.

As long as they provided good airflow then it would be fine. For example if you had 1x3 slats that were only an inch apart the airflow would still be fine but if you used 3 sheets of plywood that were divided in thirds (each @ 26" wide) with only an inch in between them then there would be little airflow under the mattress. The amount of flex under the mattress will depend on the design of the foundation and the type of wood (see post #3 here) and the thickness and width of the slats and the less flex the better. There are also some good DIY foundation or platform designs in the foundation post here (under the KD foundation section and the slatted platform bed section) that you can use as a reference.

Phoenix

URSTech, something to note if doing a diy platform frame with dimensional lumber from a home improvement store is type of wood. It can vary by region, but most typically 2x4ā€™s (studs) and even 2x6ā€™s are usually spf (spruce, pine, fir) variety. Depending on the store and area, check into larger boards like 2x10ā€™s and 2x12ā€™s - some even as small as 2x8ā€™s will be a different type of wood. Southern yellow pine in most cases (syp) and is a stronger material. If you have the means and itā€™s worth the trouble to you, ripping your smaller boards (2x4ā€™s and 2x6ā€™s) from larger stock will give you better materials. Syp is still a ā€˜softā€™ wood, but closer to a hardwood than the others with around 50% or more compressive and bending strength than either white pine or spruce and is also stronger (though not by as large a margin) than douglas fir. I think Phoenix linked to this in one of his posts, here is a listing of various woods and their properties. Southern yellow pine isnā€™t too far off from white oak in terms of strength. Hope this helps.

Thank you, that is a pretty great resource.

Will keep that in mind. I ran an FEA on the bedframe i designed though (using spruce structural properties), and its deflection point is at about 1020 lbs with a failure point at 1730 lbs. So I think between me my fiance and the mattress we should have a factor of safety around 3-4.

Anyhow sleeping with it on the floor tonight. Will see how hot it gets :slight_smile:

The layers are very interesting. The medium and firm layers seem like regular foam you might find in a couch seat cushion. The soft layer is almost tacky and while not memory foam feels like its almost a hybrid of MF and the Polyfoam.

Will be testing it out over the next few weeks and let yall know how I like it!

Thanks a bunch for all the advice.

Because polyfoam mattresses are more forgiving in their needs, it may be cheaper/easier to buy a bed. You should check out the foundation thread.

Hehe, well individuals like me donā€™t always do whats easier just because they actually enjoy the design and construction process :stuck_out_tongue: I have access to pretty much free material though, so this will undoubtedly be cheaper than any of my alternatives.