Tight budget - DIY or?

Just wanted to report in and say thanks for all the assistance.

The 12 in 1 mattress is great. I had some issues early on with some slight lower back tenseness but eventually figures out I had it set too ā€œsoftā€. swapped up the layers so its more of a medium firmness, no back pains anymore and sleeping comfortably through the night!

No smells to speak of other than a very light odor early on. Quality of the cover seems very good too.

Thanks all!

Hi URSTech, thatā€™s great. Glad your 12 in 1 is working out so well for you. Being able to swap layers around for fine tuning can be a real blessing. Sounds like you found the right combination. Since youā€™ve slept on your mattress, Iā€™m guessing you got your bed sorted out as well. Did you end up building your own? If so, what did you decide to make it out of?

Iā€™m still in the process of building mine, need a few more materials and need the weather to cooperate. Had a couple weeks without rain but had some other work that needed done and had to take advantage of the dry weather. Back to rain for the next week or so with only maybe a day or two break. Unfortunately no garage or workshop lol - anyone need rain? Iā€™d be happy to send the clouds their way :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi URSTech,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ and itā€™s great to see that things are working out well for you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also curious about the bed you were planning to build as well.

Phoenix

I went ahead and built a simple platform bed out of cedar they were selling at a local Lowes. Figured it smelled nice and the extra bug resistance couldnā€™t be bad right? Plus it cost about the same as their pine. I am using some reclaimed brazilian cherry flooring for the backboard (its really the only part of the bed you see) and its turning out beautifully. Will post some pics when its done!

I built a platform bed out of some cedar I found at a local lowes (think they use it for decking). The cedar cost about the same as pine and smelled nice too, so I figured why not. Cedar is softer wood, but I designed enough bracing into the frame that Iā€™m not really worried about that. I am making the headboard out of reclaimed brazilian cherry flooring (really beautiful wood), quite pleased with how its turning out.

Also making a dinner table (again out of the brazilian cherry) and a marble top chess table, so Iā€™m kinda juggling a few projects. Plus my fiancee and I just nailed down a date in October for our weddingā€¦ So a lot going on right now! Will post some pics of the bed when its all finished.

URSTech, sounds good. I think most of the notable differences with softer cedar, aside from the hardness (how much pressure does it take to leave an impression or nick), is when itā€™s laid flat. Itā€™s pretty sturdy with loads applied to the end (like a bed frame leg, upright). Sounds like itā€™s really coming together. Also, congrats on setting the date.

Hi URSTech,

Iā€™ll add my congratulations on your engagement as well :slight_smile:

I hope you have a chance to post some pictures of your projects (or at least the bed) on the forum when theyā€™re done.

Phoenix

One Thing I do like about cedar is that it tends to be much more dimensionally stable. Very easy to find nice straight boards with no cupping/warping/checking. That also means the frame will not move much over the seasons, which tends to be an issue in our humid summers.