To flip or not to flip?

Newly married and wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a Dutch Craft mattress. Looking at the Adrian Plush and the Brentwood Pillowtop.

$1000-1500 price range.

Has been about a dozen or so years since my last mattress purchase. Encountering the non-flippable mattress for the first time. :slight_smile:

Wondering whether to believe the hype that a one sided is a concentration of better materials so it will last nearly as long as a flippable or if thats just spin.

Would appreciate any input.

THANK YOU!

Hi kennyames,

It would depend on the specifics of the materials inside each mattress you are comparing but if you are making an apples to apples comparison between two mattresses that both use the same type and quality of materials inside them then the two sided version would be significantly more durable than the one sided version of the same mattress (provided that it is flipped and rotated on a regular basis).

There is more about the pros and cons of one and two sided mattresses in post #3 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thanks, Phoenix. Am learning a lot on your site. Love to research new purchases and think I’ve finally found someone more anal than myself. :slight_smile:

I know there’s a ton of factors/variables that go into this next statement but given the quality of the DC brand and the materials, is their warranty of 15 yrs seem realistic for a one-sided mattress?? Understand the warranty is on materials and workmanship just not looking to have to replace the mattress in 6-7 yrs.

Dutch Craft Adrian Plush:

Contour Coil Gel Collection
½ " + 1" Poly Foam in Quilt
Knit Fabric
1" 4lb. Cool Gel
1.75" Comfort Foam
8" 638 Foam Encased Pocketed Coil
1.5" Base Foam
Hardwood Foundation
15 year Warranty
13.5" Mattress Height

Again, thanks for your feedback. It’s invaluable!!!

-K

Hi kennyames,

The warranty on a mattress has little to nothing to do with its durability or the useful lifetime of a mattress or how long it may be before you need to replace it. There is more about mattress warranties in post #174 here.

The most reliable way to assess the relative quality and durability of a mattress and identify any weak links in the mattress is by knowing the type and quality of all the materials inside it (see this article) regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label. Unfortunately the specs that you listed are missing the density of the polyfoam layers which would be one of the most important factors in the durability of this mattress.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

The first place to start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix

Again, thank you!!

1.5 on the polyfoam.

Hi kennyames,

If all 3 polyfoam layers are 1.5 lb polyfoam then you would have 3.25" of 1.5 lb polyfoam in the upper layers of the mattress. While this would be higher quality/density than you would find in many mainstream or major brand mattresses … as you can see in the guidelines here they are in a lower density range than I would be comfortable with in a one sided mattress (unless there was only about an inch or so).

Phoenix

Again, thank you for your time in educating me. Read the posts you directed me towards. Saw in post # 3, you mentioned an older retiring gentleman who was making poly/coil mattresses that you thought highly of. Wondering who that was/is? Regarding the Adrian the uppermost level 1/2" + 1" is 1.5 density. Didn’t reallize the cool gel, comfort foam and base foam are “polys” as well. Can try inquiring as to their densities as well. Starting exploring DC from the recommendations on here. Phoenix, Do you ever call forum folks?? Would love to pick your brain…lol. Our happy to call you. I know it’s bad timing, holidays. Anyway, thank you for your efforts. Past an present. -Kenny. 615) 512-5090

Hi kennyames,

I’m not sure which post you are referring to … can you provide a link?

The cool gel is memory foam and is in a suitable density range (I generally suggest 4 lb or higher density for memory foam) but the other layers are polyfoam (although memory foam is a type of polyfoam as well … the suitable density range is different from “regular” polyfoam).

Unfortunately the “normal” hours I spend on the site with the various tasks and research involved is already about 12 - 16 hours a day (and I haven’t had a day off yet in almost 4 years) so I don’t have the time available to provide any personal consulting outside of the forum (see post #4 here).

Phoenix

I spoke today with several manufacturers for example and one of them has built polyfoam mattresses over innersprings for decades. He does no advertising and because he is almost retired is not so focused on growing and almost all of his business comes from referrals. He will often have someone who asks him to build a mattress “just like his parents got” 15 years ago and is still going strong … and yet he builds his mattresses only using higher quality polyfoam and knows how to build it right. He rarely gets anything returned and if he does he actually honors his warranty rather than finds reasons to avoid it. These are the kind of manufacturers who really know how long certain mattress materials last in real life. Interestingly enough … they will all tell you “horror” stories about what they find when they cut apart the mattresses made by major manufacturers (and many manufacturers do this on a regular basis to see what is inside them). While they may not know every “technical” specification about every foam, their knowledge and experience is probably more accurate than most of the foam testing in the industry.

Not sure where I found this…

Will find out more on the densities. Trying to do this on my phone and last minute shopping w/ the wife.

Phoenix, Take a vacation. :-). Those are some long hours. Go hug your family. Seriously, thank you again for being a lighthouse in this sea of mattress education. It’s hugely appreciated!!!

Hi kennyames,

It came from this post but I don’t know which specific local manufacturer I was talking to that day because there are many smaller manufacturers like this across the country that are building some high quality/value mattresses. Any of them that I’m aware of would be included in one or more of the hundreds of local lists that are throughout the forum.

You may have found this already but just in case you haven’t … and assuming that you are in the Nashville area (based on your area code) … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the area (subject to the guidelines here) are listed in post #7 here.

Some of the changes and revisions that are planned and are coming up for the site over the course of the coming months will make much of the information that is “buried” in the forum much easier to find and will help to “automate” some of what I am currently doing which will hopefully reduce my hours as well.

I am fortunate that I work from my home though so my family get lots of hugs each day and are very supportive of what I’m doing :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts!

Phoenix

You bet, Phoenix.

Every blessing to you and your family! And Merry Christmass!!