To many choices - Need some guidance Please

I’m still debating the following mattress’s:

Thomasvville 936 (which is a boyd bed) I like the idea of 3" of latex instead of the poly of the T&N. $750
Brooklyn bedding Firm $850 (Awesome return policy)
Ultimate Dreams King Freedom Customizable Latex $1000 (Not so good return policy cost $100)

DynastyMattress 15.5 Inch Grand AtlantisBreeze Cool HD GEL $1100
Tuft & Needle $700 (Awesome return policy)

The wife and I seem to like more of a firm mattress and needs to stay cool.
All of these have something that is calling my name need some help steering clear of the bad choices.

Whats your take on the ones I have mentioned Phoenix?

Hi Dasupertech,

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses.

I would make sure that you find out the quality/density of the polyfoam layers in this mattress especially the two 1.5" convoluted layers of “comfort foam” (which is polyfoam) in their description here to make sure that they meet the quality/durability guidelines here and you are confident that they won’t become a weak link in the mattress which can lead to premature foam softening and the loss of the comfort/support that was the reason you purchased it much too quickly after a purchase. I would also make sure that if you haven’t tested the mattress in person that you are comfortable with the return/exchange policy and any costs involved so that you have good options available after a purchase just in case the mattress isn’t as good a match for you in terms of PPP as you hoped for and you don’t sleep well on the mattress.

As you can see in the comments in post #3 here about many of the “one choice fits all” mattresses … the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress and they have a great return policy so there is no risk in trying it outside of the time involved in testing it or returning it if it becomes necessary. If you are uncertain about which firmness level would be best for you then they can also give you some guidance if you talk with them on the phone.

This is also a great quality/value choice and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in this mattress either. It also has the advantage of being able to rearrange the layers in 12 different ways to fine tune the comfort and support of the mattress after a purchase so the odds are much smaller that you would need to return it. In a king size you can also order split layers so you can configure a different firmness level on each side of the mattress and you can also order the mattress without the soft layer if you know you prefer firmer mattresses but if all else fails and none of the 12 different comfort/support options works for you and you do need to return it then the cost would be $99 which of course is more than the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver.

I would be a little cautious here because the two 1.5" 3 lb memory foam layers are lower density than I would be comfortable with and could be a weak link in this mattress. I would also make sure you read post #6 here about mattresses that are made in China so you are comfortable with the additional uncertainty that can be involved with longer periods of compression during shipping and storage.

You can read more about the Tuft and Needle mattress in post #3 here as well and it also uses high quality materials and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their mattress either and it also has a great return policy that would eliminate the risk of trying it as well outside of the time you spent trying it or returning it if that becomes necessary.

Comfort layers with latex will generally tend to sleep cooler than memory foam or gel memory foam comfort layers and firmer mattresses will also tend to sleep cooler than softer mattresses. A mattress that sleeps warm for some people may also be well inside a comfortable temperature range for others depending on where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range and on the temperature and humidity in their bedroom and the mattress protector or any mattress pad you are using, your sheets and bedding, and your bedclothes, which can all have a significant effect on sleeping temperature regardless of your mattress and in some cases changing these may be all that is necessary to keep sleeping temperatures inside the range that you are comfortable with even if one mattress tends to sleep warmer than another. There is also more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here that can help you choose a choose the combination of materials and components and the types of mattresses that will have the best chance of keeping you in a temperature range that you are comfortable with.

Phoenix

Out of the following 3 (Brooklyn bedding, Tuft &Needle, Ultimate Dreams King Freedom Customizable Latex) which one would you start off with.

I’'m 6’5" and weight 215, and the wife is 5’6" and she weighs 165. We are currently on a S&F 22" coil spring, with some kind of foam on top. It has large indention’s where we lay. So anyone of the 3 are going to be a very large improvement.

I’m really hoping to buy the right one the first time and not have to hassle with having to return one.

From a pure Quality stand point how do they rate against each other?

Hi Dasupertech,

The most important part of the “value” of a mattress purchase is PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and how well you will sleep on the mattress but you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components would be the best “match” for you in terms of PPP based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing or personal experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

I can certainly help you to narrow down your options, help you focus on better quality/value choices that are available to you either locally or online, help you identify any lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress you may be considering, act as a fact check, answer any questions you may have along the way that I am able to help with, and help with “how” to choose but only you can decide which specific mattress is the best match for you in terms of PPP or all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Having said that … I may also be able to help you identify some of the pros and cons of each of your choices that may be helpful with your final choice.

In terms of price … of course the Tuft and Needle is the lowest price followed by the Brooklyn Bedding #BestMattressEver followed by the Dreamfoam Freedom.

In terms of durability and the useful life of the mattress … with your slightly higher weight I would give a slight edge to the #BestMattressEver and the Freedom mattress because they use more durable materials in the deeper layers and you would likely “go through” the comfort layers and compress the deeper layers more than someone who was in a lighter weight range but you are only in the lower 200’s so the difference wouldn’t be “make or break” IMO because all of them would be durable choices and none of them have any weak links in the mattress.

In terms of the options you have available both before and after a purchase … The Tuft & Needle has a single firmness choice and the #BestMattressEver has three firmness choices so it has more options available to choose a firmness level that that you may prefer or that would be best for you. Both of them have a great return policy so if the choice you make doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for then the only risk with either of them would be the time you spent testing them or returning them if that becomes necessary.

On the other hand … with the Freedom Mattress you can choose the initial layers that you believe you would prefer (the default is soft, medium, and firm) and then you would have many more options to rearrange the layers and the cover after a purchase in different ways to customize and fine tune the comfort and support of the the mattress after a purchase without having to return it so with all the comfort and support options available the odds of needing to return it would be lower. Other advantages of a component mattress with a zip cover are that you can replace just a single layer that either softens or breaks down before the others over time (usually the softer top layer) or if your needs and preferences change over time without needing to replace the entire mattress. In a king size as well you can also order split layers which allows you to arrange the layers differently on each side of the mattress which can be useful for a couple that has different needs and preferences. Of course the “down side” (other than the higher cost) is that if all else fails and none of the available combinations works well for you then it would cost more to return.

Once you are down to finalists that are all choices between “good and good” and none of them have any obvious weak links or lower quality materials in their design (which you are) and if there are no clear winners between them then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely be a suitable choice and post #2 here can help you make a final choice based on your material preferences, your conversations with each of them, their prices, the options available both before and after a purchase, any additional extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for helping me out. Your true dedication is admirable to help protect the general populace. I have already passed this website on to a handful of co-workers that are in the market as well. Thanks again for your input it makes my decision much easier.

Hi Dasupertech,

Thanks for the kind comments … I appreciate them :slight_smile:

You are certainly looking at some great quality/value finalists and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

We are leaning on the flexibility of the Latex DreamFoam., Still trying to decide if I want to get the three different colors on each side or forgo the soft and go with two med and a firm… It does limit my flexibility but like I said before we both seem to like a firmer bed. I did inquire about having another foam shipped to me . They will ship one out for $150 dollars, when you have returned the one you will get $75 dollars of the 150 back.

This is also nice if some reason a piece of foam needs replaced that might not be covered under warranty then you can get an replacement.

Is the fact that this bed has Synthetic latex any kind of a concern. I know I have read somewhere on your site that its not natural or green but has the ability to stand up as well as 100%natural latex?
Thanks again for the help!

Any guidance on the synthetic latex? Is it good?

Hi Dasupertech,

[quote]Is the fact that this bed has Synthetic latex any kind of a concern. I know I have read somewhere on your site that its not natural or green but has the ability to stand up as well as 100%natural latex?

Any guidance on the synthetic latex? Is it good? [/quote]

Latex in general is among the most durable of all the foam materials that are used in a mattress. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is also more about the synthetic continuous pour Dunlop latex made by Mountaintop foam and the Freedom mattress in post #2 here and in posts #3 and #5 here.

You can see a video about how it’s made here and it’s also Oeko-Tex certified for harmful substances and VOC’s so it’s a “safe” material as well.

The bottom line is that it’s a good quality and durable material.

Phoenix

She is ordered…Now we wait! Thanks again for the help!

Hi Dasupertech,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Would you recommend getting it sent to us with the 3 different layers or might it be better to have Firm Med Med? I gave weights and heights above. Just worried about the softer one. I guess if all else fails it can be the bottom or middle.

Let me know what your thinking.

Hi Dasupertech,

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer such as Dreamfoam who can help “talk you through” the options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They are more familiar with their mattresses and will know more about helping their customers “match” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and which of the firmness and layering options they have available will have the best chance of success than anyone else (including me).

Phoenix

I’ll call them in the morning…Thanks again!