too cheap?

I am at a stand still in my organic latex mattress search.
I am almost going to buy this for about $2000 in Canada. It is much cheaper than the ones I have been looking at- 4,000-5,000K
http://dormio.ca/displayproduct.asp?pID=371&catid=160

I have read that for larger bodies you want at least a 6 inch core. This core is 6 inches but broken down into 1" soft + 4" medium/firm + 1" soft. Does this change the support or longevity. Also the mattress cover is not wool like the comparables I have been looking at. The cover is cotton and seems thinner. Are these things that make the bed cheaper and things I may regret committing too?

This is the higher end one I am also looking at:
http://obasan.ca/products/acadia-3-0/

Any advice, opinion would be really appreciated.

Hi Loricullen,

I believe Dormio has some zoned-layer models. Also, they will do their best to price match ( http://dormio.ca/browseproducts.asp?catID=20 ). I’m a happy Dormio customer :slight_smile:

Hi sidesleeper,

[quote]I have read that for larger bodies you want at least a 6 inch core. This core is 6 inches but broken down into 1" soft + 4" medium/firm + 1" soft. Does this change the support or longevity. Also the mattress cover is not wool like the comparables I have been looking at. The cover is cotton and seems thinner. Are these things that make the bed cheaper and things I may regret committing too?

Any advice, opinion would be really appreciated. [/quote]

There is more about the most important parts of a “successful” mattress purchase in post #13 here.

The most important of these is suitability for your body type and sleeping positions in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the most reliable way to evaluate this is your own personal testing using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post. While it’s true that people with heavier body types will often do better with thicker mattresses (see post #14 here) the thickness of a single layer such as the core isn’t particularly important because it’s only one of the layers and all the layers interact together. Since both of the mattresses you are looking at include 10" of latex, the thickness of the mattress or the amount of latex in each one wouldn’t be the deciding point between them.

In terms of quality/durability which is the next most important part of a mattress purchase … latex is among the most durable of all the different materials and components used in mattresses and if a mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP, then if it uses latex it would certainly be a durable choice.

The last part of making the best choice for you would be making a final choice (see post #2 here) between all your finalists at each store you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

There is more about the pros and cons of a wool quilted cover vs a thinner stretch knit cover in post #6 here. A wool quilted cover would certainly add to the cost of a mattress but the choice between them is really a preference choice based on which one is the best match for the criteria that are most important to you … not a better/worse choice.

You are certainly looking at some high quality options and neither of them have any weak links or lower quality materials in their design but you are the only one who can decide which one would be the most suitable or the “best value” for you.

Phoenix

Hi Loricullen,

You may also want to look into another Canadian company called Nature’s Embrace. There Unison mattress is made of certified organic Dunlop latex, and covered with a 100% quilted organic cotton cover.

good luck in your search! :slight_smile:

This site is amazing!! With such a daunting task it is great to have this resource. Such thoughtful, detailed and speedy responses from folks especially Pheonix!!! thank you for all your dedication.

I concur with loricullen. Amazing site and forum. One of the most useful and thoughtful resources I have encounter on the web. Period. Phoenix’s postings are all incredibly thoughtful and valuable.

I’m also currently looking for a new mattress in Toronto and came across this site on Sunday, after being made aware of Magniflex mattresses in a local furniture store. Since Sunday, I have visited Essentia, Foamite and Dormio.

I’m going back to Dormio tomorrow to test one of their models (Lambert) again. It’s certainly not cheap, but may just be the mattress for me and my partner.

I did like the experience at Foamite. But based on what I have read here, I believe that we will likely go with an all latex mattress over the hybrid models that Foamite offers.

I’m very grateful for the information I have found on this site and feel much better prepared to make a good decision and purpose now. Thanks Phoenix.

Hi Eudaimonic,

Thanks for the kind words … and welcome :slight_smile:

You may have seen this already but just in case you haven’t … the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto area are listed in post #1 here.

As you probably know, Dormio is also a member of the site which means I think very highly of them and they would be well worth including in your research.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any feedback or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

I went back to Dormio yesterday to give our favored mattress another 15-minute test, and ended up ordering the Lambert: 6" organic zoned latex (medium for my partner; firm for me) core with a hand tufted 3" topper of soft organic latex surrounded by organic wool. Not cheap, even with a current 15% discount, but it’s a long-term investment in our sleep and health. We hope to use this mattress for the next 15 years, maybe even longer. Dormio included an organic wool duvet as a sales special (retail value $739).

Dormio (John & Lance) provided good service without any pressure tactics.

The mattress feels great, and I look forward to sleeping on it once it arrives in 3-5 weeks. Without the information found on The Mattress Underground - I spent several hours reading posts - I would probably have not found or considered Dormio. I would also not have felt as informed or comfortable with my decision. Thank you very much Phoenix!

Hi Eudaimonic,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It’s great to see that you did such good research and made good comparisons and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix