Too much polyfoam? (OMF Orthopedic Luxury Firm)

So I have been doing tons of research here for about a week, and I have been zeroing in on the Original Mattress Factory, likely the Orthopedic Luxury Foam (a 2-sided mattress). My main concern is the amount of polyfoam in the comfort layer (aka anything above the springs, unless I am mistaken?)…

Above the springs (on both sides) is:

• 1 inch of solid Polyfoam
  • 1 inch of Polyfoam with the egg carton cuts
  • 2 other thin sheets of Polyfoam

My concern is that the sales gentleman said their polyfoam quality was 1.5 lbs unless I misunderstood him. The forum guidelines seemed to indicate that at a 1.5 grade, I should avoid more than 1 inch on each side. Anyone have thoughts here? I thought I read elsewhere that OMF at least used to have 1.8 lbs quality polyfoam, which might might a difference in this case. I will probably have to confirm with them tomorrow.

Hi mabrezov,

[quote]My main concern is the amount of polyfoam in the comfort layer (aka anything above the springs, unless I am mistaken?)…

Above the springs (on both sides) is:

• 1 inch of solid Polyfoam
  • 1 inch of Polyfoam with the egg carton cuts
  • 2 other thin sheets of Polyfoam

My concern is that the sales gentleman said their polyfoam quality was 1.5 lbs unless I misunderstood him. The forum guidelines seemed to indicate that at a 1.5 grade, I should avoid more than 1 inch on each side. Anyone have thoughts here? I thought I read elsewhere that OMF at least used to have 1.8 lbs quality polyfoam, which might might a difference in this case. I will probably have to confirm with them tomorrow. [/quote]

I would be cautious about using more than “about an inch or so” of 1.5 lb polyfoam in the upper layers of a one sided mattress and once you read 2" or more then it can certainly be a weak link in the mattress in terms of durability but foam materials will be more durable in a two sided mattress so as long as you flip it on a regular basis it would be suitable in a two sided mattress (you can see the general guidelines I would suggest in post #4 here).

Original Mattress Factory also uses different combinations of polyfoam in their mattresses and not all of them are the same density so I would make sure you find out all the specifics listed in this article for any of their mattresses you are considering.

The OMF mattresses in general are a good quality/value choice in their budget range.

Phoenix