Top/best latex mattress brands?

Hi Phoenix,

I live in Toronto and I’m moving pretty soon so I’m looking to purchase a new mattress. I did read your sticky and couple of other latex mattress brand related threads but still felt compelled to put this one here for your latest thoughts.

Before I stumbled upon this website I was leaning towards Essentia but your claims on their false advertising are indeed putting me off. For me, I’m looking for a mattress of the best value - I’d like to make it my money’s worth. Not for the false green advertising or other gimmicks.

I know it’ll be tough but company vs. company I’d like to know what latex mattress seems to be best bang for the buck in your opinion. I’d prefer it to be natural but I’d like your opinion on that too (for health reasons).

Hi liquidfina,

A mattress is meant to perform specific functions and is much more than just a commodity where the value can be measured in terms of cost per inch of foam or per pound of fabric so there is really no such thing as a mattress that is the “best bang for the buck” for any specific person because each person can have very different criteria and definitions of “value”. Outside of how well a mattress “matches” your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP … a mattress is only as good in terms of durability as the quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer and I would avoid “brand shopping” (see post #5 here).

The “value” of a mattress purchase for any particular person always depends on all the criteria that are most important to them (see post #13 here) and on how a mattress compares to your other finalists. A mattress that is “good value” for one person many not be good value at all for the next depending on the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

There is also more about safe, natural, organic, and green mattresses in post #2 here and the posts it links to that can help you decide on which materials you are most comfortable with having inside your mattress.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Toronto area are listed in post #1 here.

Phoenix

Dormio stands out from the last list - I take it that their claims are more trustworthy than those made by Essentia? Because price-wise they seem similar…

Hi liquidfina,

Dormio is one of the members of this site which means that I think highly of them and the quality of the mattresses they sell. A forum search on Dormio (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them. They are completely transparent and will provide you with reliable and accurate information about their mattresses (although of course not every person or even “expert” has the same opinions and thoughts about every “mattress issue”).

I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to include them as one of your better options.

Phoenix