Top Rated Organic Matresses

Oops! Forgot to ask you if you could please recommend any showrooms in Jacksonville, Florida? THANKS!!! :slight_smile:

There aren’t a lot of great choices right in Jacksonville but post #7 here includes some of the better ones and I would personally take the drive to Holly Hill and visit Fox Mattress. (An hour away from Jacksonville) They are members of this site … meaning I consider them to be among the best of the best in terms of quality, service, and value … They are a local factory direct manufacturer that makes all types of mattresses. I have had some great conversations with Rick the owner and he is exceptionally helpful and knowledgeable, and I think a visit to a knowledgeable manufacturer or outlet who is “on your side” can save a lot of frustration and even time mainly because you will get accurate information from people who really do know what they are talking about and you would know ahead of time that you were testing mattresses that really did have better value than most of the other options available to you closer by. They would be well worth a drive to Holly Hill to include them in your research.

Hope this helps
Phoenix

Good evening, Phoenix, sorry to ask you once again… in the event that we simply can’t afford any of these, could you please recommend an organic pad to place over our foam mattress? We may just have to settle for this option for now… Also, (for now) would you recommend getting a 2 or 3 inch 100% (2 XL twins) - natural latex topper with a removable cover? Don’t know if this would work best on top of bed or on a different type of base… (for now). P.S. Just checked FOX Mattress website, but it doesn’t seem like they have any latex mattresses…? Thank you!

Just had a look at the Fox Mattress website and found their latex mattresses here: Deluxe Foam Mattresses

THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE!!! Planning on heading there today! Will keep you updated! :wink:

Hi healthysleep,

I forgot to answer part of your previous post.

For some other choices of spring/latex mattress (hybrid) providers, see post #2 here.

Regarding toppers, including links to various sources, take a look at post #2.

Phoenix

Thank you as always, Phoenix!! You are simply wonderful and speedy in replying!! We are heading to FOX Mattress on Thursday (decided to avoid the 4th of July traffic/crowd -being we are 2 & 1/2 hrs. away). Regarding the spring/latex mattress option, I was told by a seller at Sleeping Organic, that it would not work well with an adjustable bed. Is that so? Even though we may not be able to afford the adjustable bed now, it is something we definitely do want in the near future! And hopefully sooner than later!

Hi healthysleep,

You’d want to check with the manufacturer to make sure that any product you are considering is “adjustable bed friendly”, but most of the innerspring mattresses that are made to be used on power foundations do use pocketed spring units and those tend to be quite “bendable”.

Phoenix

I was wondering what are your thoughts regarding “healthy” (cotton plus other healthy materials) futons? Do they even exist? When we first moved to our previous home (before purchasing our unhealthy foam mattress), I slept very well for a good six months on a queen size mattress (over metal base). I found a lot of pressure relief, no pain and cool. Don’t know on a much longer term what it would feel like. If it were to sag over a longer period of time, depending on the cost, I guess it would not matter that much. Don’t know if they even make these in King size, twin XL, and if it would work with an adjustable bed frame or forget it all together! I appreciate your time and expert advice…very, very much! :slight_smile:

Meant to say: I slept very well for a good six months on a queen size futon, not mattress!

Thank you, Sweet Dreams! I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Hi healthysleep,

While not a main focus of the forum, there is some good futon information here that may be of interest to you.

Phoenix

Phoenix, do you happen to recommend any futon shops/showrooms in Northern Florida, or central Fl…or Jacksonville area? The ones listed here are in other states or way down South (Miami) and/or online. Would prefer to actually get to test/try some! Thanks again. Heading to FOX mattress tomorrow in Holly Hill, Fl.

P.S. What kind of mattress cover do you recommend placing over our “unhealthy/unsafe” memory foam mattress in the meantime? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!

Hi healthysleep,

No, I do not maintain lists of futon shops specifically. Any that I notice would generally be included in the lists I provided for the various cities you previously requested.

As for mattress protectors, there is more information in post #89 here and this post here.

Phoenix

Hello, Phoenix! :slight_smile: Could you please let me know if Night Time by Nature is still one of the companies you highly recommend or not? I have not contacted them at all and would like to have your imput first. Thanks!! Sadly, not making much progress… Called Fox Matttress and unfortunately, they do not deliver this far (2 and 1/2 hours away), and limited in “organic” mattress options. Wanted to visit Soaring Hearts and Sleeping Organic showrooms but both way too far, and return policies are not fabulous at least for our budget (limited in what pieces you can actually “return” and how much one has to pay if ending up doing so)… Thanks again!!

Good evening, Phoenix,

I was wondering if you or anyone in the forum could please share any (good and/or bad) feedback regarding: The Futon Shop (in California)? I just spent a few hours going through their website, where they state: “We present to you our line of only 100% chemical free mattresses, and non-toxic eco friendly mattresses hand crafted by our experts.100% certified organic materials, but are available without Chemical Fire Retardants with No Need For a Dr. Note! The Futon Shop is proud to handcraft the most affordable Chemical Free Organic Mattresses you can find. All of our all Hand Crafted Organic Mattresses are made with certified organic ingredients including; USDA Organic Cotton, GOTS Organic Wool, GOLS Organic Latex and Covered With Organic Cotton Fabric that is GOTS Certified, so you can be sure from surface to the base every ingredient is made without harmful toxins.” Being that they currently are announcing a sale: 65% off until the 10th of July (just 2 more days), I would greatly appreciate getting some feedback A.S.AP.! Any feedback would be great!! Hats off to you, Phoenix!! My head feels like it’s spinning around with all this mattress info. THANKS Sooooo VERY, VERY MUCH!! :slight_smile:

Hi healtysleep,

Nighttime by Nature is not a site member here, but as you have an interest in items with organic certifications, they do offer brands like Holy Lamb Organics, Savvy Rest, OMI, and Naturepedic.

I’m not personally familiar with them, but they offer a large line of futons and latex, innerspring and memory foam mattresses. Regarding chemicals, there are chemicals used in the production of latex (see post #18 here.) All latex foam manufacturers use a compounding formula which is usually about 90% to 95% rubber or in some cases slightly higher (but not 99%) and the other ingredients include foaming agents, gelling agents, curing agents, mold release agents, antioxidants, and possibly fillers in some cases. Without these it wouldn’t be possible to turn the rubber into a foam that was suitable for a mattress. 100% natural generally refers to latex cores where the rubber used in the foamed core is 100% natural rubber … not that the only ingredient in the foam is rubber. Blended Talalay also has the same compounding ingredients but the difference is that the rubber that is used is about 70% synthetic (Styrene Butadiene or SBR for short) and 30% natural rubber (NR). The links I provided to you in one of my earlier replies for GOTS and GOLS go into that in more detail and speak to what chemicals are allowed to be used in processing. The “chemical free” claims from the Futon Shop seem to be aimed mostly at not using added chemicals to meet federal flammability guidelines.

I generally advise caution when stores have large discounts based on the time of year or holidays (see the guidelines here and post #5 here). While better stores may occasionally have sales with smaller discounts or sell floor models at a reduced price … I would treat retailers or manufacturers that negotiate their prices or have “major holiday sales” with “huge” discounts as a red flag because manufacturers or retailers that sell good quality/value mattresses don’t need to negotiate or have “fake sales” with misleading discounts to create a false sense of urgency and they sell good quality/value mattresses every day of the year at prices that are already very fair and reasonable. Using the wayback machine I was able to find similar 65% discounts being offered frequently going back in time the last two years on their web site.

Phoenix

Hello, Phoenix!! :slight_smile: 1st of all: ANOTHER BIG THANK YOU!! I really do not know what I would do without your knowledgeable assistance! Visited Night Time by Nature, loved the Naturepedic Quartet –all split firm dunlop, and second place: Savvy Rest Serenity 10" mattress -firm. Also, liked a lot both the Holy Lamb Organics Ultimate Wool topper and the Savvy Rest, wool pillow (the only brand available to try –in wool). Naturepedic waterproof pad was recommended. Sadly, either one is simply way out of my budget. Still, glad I had a chance to actually try these and now have a better sense of what the medium versus the firm feels like, coolness and surprised how much I liked the wool feel of topper and pillow comfort. I wonder though if once the waterproof pad is placed over it, if this “nice” feeling would be lost?! Perhaps due to the fibromyalgia issue, body heat (thyroid issue), and difficulty falling asleep, I really appreciated the cozy, soft, cool feeling? I literally felt if I closed my eyes, I could easily fall asleep! Lol! I must say, I am concerned with the fact that I was told to expect a 1/3 of the topper to have “compressed”, (hope I am using the correct term) after a year to a year and a half. Bummer! These aren’t cheap! Suppose the same would occur to the wool pillows! I may possibly still go ahead with the topper and pillow….eventually, unless you can recommend any other I should consider as well. By the way, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a zippered waterproof pad for the wool topper…? Regarding our “future mattress”, I noticed that the online company: Sleep on Mattress is one of the TMU endorsed members, and I was wondering what you think of their: Pure Green Natural Latex (for me)? Noticed they have a 7" or 9" natural latex mattress. Don’t know if firm would be enough firm for me! Yes, I would prefer to try any mattress out first, but we simply do not have that choice here. Because of their excellent quality mattresses and their easy return policies (“free shipping and returns”), I am for the 1st time, considering the possibility of ordering online! I was glad to learn this mattress is: 100% latex, wool, and organic cotton – Don’t know if their Pure Green Natural Latex is the only “safe” mattress to consider, at least in my case. The adjustable bed would have to wait ($)… Therefore, would a platform bed work? It seems like a very honest company, and we certainly do have the means for their very reasonable prices! So, I am very hopeful now!!

When I said: Sadly, either one is simply way out of my budget, I was referring to both mattresses, and not the topper and pillow.

Good evening, Phoenix, I just came across some of your great comments regarding Flo Beds and in particular the Vzone mattress. As I had stated originally, when I first joined this wonderful forum, I too have a stiff and painful left shoulder, as well as 3 herniated discs… making it even harder to fall asleep, and almost on a daily basis I wake up with pain and/or numbness (on our current super unhealthy Serta, 100% polyurethane memory foam bed). The Vzone mattress sounds like a great option in my case, but a lot more expensive than Sleep on Latex … I was so hopeful regarding Sleep on Latex, as I mentioned to you earlier today. So, I now I am worried if it is not in different densities (such as the Vzone), could latex actually make it worse for me, in terms of the shoulder and neck pain relief I am in such great need of? Thanks again!