Top Rated Organic Matresses

Hi healthysleep,

In any situation like this, the best advice you’ll receive is from the actual manufacturer, as they would have the best knowledge of their products and what they think would best suit your needs, based upon your phone conversations, your body type, sensitivities, testing you’ve done and other information relayed to them during your discussion.

If the Savvy Rest model you tested used three layers of their “firm” Dunlop (and ILD isn’t cumulative, so there wouldn’t be a "total of 40 ILD – assuming you meant each layer was approximately a 40 ILD), this would be a very hard mattress and outside of Savvy Rest’s normal recommendations. Specifically, Savvy Rest recommends a medium Dunlop on top of their two firm Dunlop layers as their “firmest” combination.

If you’re considering ordering everything with the wool topper you tested, then the “firm” Sleep On Latex would “most closely” approximate the Savvy Rest you tested, but it would be harder deep down, and I wouldn’t know how you would react to such a combination with the wool topper as there are entirely too many variables that are unique to each individual and the only way for you to know what mattress/topper combination would be a good “match” for you would be through your own personal testing.

You can read my thoughts about buying a mattress/topper combination that you can’t test in person in post #2 here. As you can see it’s not something I would generally suggest either in terms of risk or quality/value unless there were no better options available to you.

Of course this would always be your ultimate goal (and is the goal of the retailer as well), but there is no 100% certainty with items when subjectivity like this is involved, so it is nice to have the exchange available to you and be able to test things in a “real-world” setting over the course of a month.

Regarding your question about adjustable beds, you’ll have to provide me the distinction you mean between adjustable beds and adjustable bed frames. Those two terms are usually referring to the same thing – power foundations placed under a mattress that elevate the head and the foot area.

There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites. Here is another adjustable bed base thread with some manufacturers listed.

I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them. I would also give some careful consideration to the type of features that you may find useful over a longer period of time because some of the features they offer may seem very “enticing” when you are shopping but some people may find that they don’t use them as much as they thought they would once the novelty has worn off.

Phoenix