topper cover worth the cost?

I recently bought a 2" latex topper from sleeponlatex. We like the topper. However we did not purchase a cover for it. Now I’m second guessing that. Do any of you have any thoughts on that? Would it make the topper last better?

Our setup is the topper sits on top of our innerspring mattress and we have a mattress pad over the topper? Is that adequate? Or would the $60 for a fitted topper cover be money well spent? The topper was $200 and I’d like it to last as long as possible.

Hi glm38,

[quote]I recently bought a 2" latex topper from sleeponlatex. We like the topper. However we did not purchase a cover for it. Now I’m second guessing that. Do any of you have any thoughts on that? Would it make the topper last better?

Our setup is the topper sits on top of our innerspring mattress and we have a mattress pad over the topper? Is that adequate? Or would the $60 for a fitted topper cover be money well spent? The topper was $200 and I’d like it to last as long as possible. [/quote]

Yes … I think a cover is a good idea to protect the latex from oxidation or from breaking down prematurely from exposure to substances that can harm it over the longer term (see post #12 here and the posts it links to).

Phoenix

Glad I asked. Thanks Phoenix.

Hi gml38,

You can also use a mattress protector to cover the bare latex topper, preferably one that is made of a stretch material and waterproof.

regards

I have the topper cover. The top layer of it is really nice, very soft and pliable and does not change the feel of the latex under it. The bottom layer of the cover, however, is a stiff material that I did not find comfortable. The two layers can zip completely apart. At the moment I am only using the top layer over the topper, I plan to sew a new bottom for it out of something stretchy but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have washed the cover a couple times and it comes out fine, shrunk slightly but I probably should have hung to dry instead of tumbling dry. HTH!