Topper for Tempurpedic

I’d been having some discomfort with my tempurpedic, but I recently removed the mattress protector I had on it, which was a thinly padded organic cotton. It has helped a lot. I know that memory foam requires heat to activate its contouring abilities, so that’s probably why removing the topper helped. The thing is, while it’s almost perfect, I still wake up a lot with some aching in my shoulders. My shoulders are quite broad so it’s always been an issue with every mattress no matter how soft it is. This causes a lot of tossing and turning and ruining any deep sleep I might get at night.

Since the mattress without protector is “almost” perfect, I was thinking maybe a thin layer of memory foam might help. I know toppers come in many different materials, but my concern is-- since, again-- memory foam is “heat activated” that putting another material like latex or wool over it will ruin the contouring effect and make the bed feel even firmer, when all I want is a little softer for my shoulders, but not too soft to cause lower back pain.

Is this a viable solution? Im thinking just 2" since 1" probably wouldn’t do anything. And does anyone know where I can find high quality memory foam toppers online?

Why not try a 2" Tempurpedic Topper
2" Tempurpedic Topper

2" tempur topper

TempurToppers.com

Thanks Norm. Am I correct in thinking a topper of other materials would interfere with the memory foam comfort layer? B/c I forgot to mention that I’m intrigued by CozyPure’s LaNoodle topper. I like that it’s made with channeled panels. I sleep with my bottom arm outstretched in front of me, and in my mind I can position my shoulder and arm in between two channels and that might help a lot. Only thing is the topper is super expensive, so it’s too much of a gamble.

The LaNoodle is a latex topper, while Tempur is memory foam, offering two distinct “feels.” I must note that the LaNoodle fill provides a soft yet supportive sensation without the firm resistance typical of solid latex.

My experience with this is primarily based on its performance in a pillow I recently assembled. I combined a 100% cotton zippered pillow liner filled with 1.5-1.75lbs of horsehair and 2lbs of LaNoodles latex filling in another zippered pillow liner, then placed both liners inside a BioSleepConcept Iris Pillow Cover. While I initially thought I had created a comfortable pillow before, this new creation surpasses it. Perhaps it’s the combination of horsehair and Noodles (as my previous pillow combined horsehair with a mix of shredded latex and memory foam), but the noodle side feels more akin to the Tempurpedic ProCloud sensation than latex when paired with the horsehair.

Regarding the CozyPure, it seems like it would be an excellent choice, albeit a pricey one. I would imagine it is a soft, luxurious, and cushy feel, if it is anything like how it feels in a pillow. You could always buy a pillow and place it under your shoulder to see how it feels, before you go all in on a topper.

A DIY pillow! I love that. Sounds comfy indeed.

Speaking of DIY, I watched a video about solutions for shoulder pain, and one guy mentioned placing a soft pillow under your head pillow, but leaving a gap, and placing your shoulder in that gap. I tried it with a soft down pillow I have and it seemed to help, but it feels weird b/c of the pillow under my torso. So then I got an idea. I take a foam topper and slice it. Then place it but with a gap in my shoulder area. That just might work. It’s a shame I lost a few good memory foam toppers during my move. I could have tried this out for free. But I’ll find a cheap topper on Amazon and try it out. First I’ll try sleeping tonight with the pillow method to see if it helps.

1 Like