Topper to cool memory foam mattress- what kind and how thick should it be?

Now that I’m in the heat of summer, I’m finding my memory foam mattress to be too hot. I’d like to buy a topper of some sort to help cool but I’m not sure what kind.

Generally, I prefer a firmer bed so I’d like to avoid the pillow top bamboo toppers which seem to be pretty popular. I’m considering a latex topper but those are quite pricey. One solution is to just get a thin (1 in.) layer but I’m concerned this won’t be enough.

Anyone have any recommendations or experiences with 1 in layers of latex to share?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Dr.Zaius,

There are many options that can be used to help “cool down” a memory foam mattress that may be worth considering. There is more about the different ways that can be used to cool down memory foam in post #6 here and there is more about the many factors that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or “sleeping system” in post #2 here.

The first thing I would suggest checking is the type of mattress protector and sheets and bedding you are using since changing these can often make enough of a difference without needing to change anything else. There is more about the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here and there is more information about different types of fabrics in sheets in post #7 here and the posts it links to.

Other than this … using a thin layer of a more resilient and breathable type of foam (such as latex or even polyfoam) above the memory foam can also make a difference (again in combination with the other factors) but adding a different type of material above memory foam can also affect the amount of heat that reaches the memory foam. The tradeoff of adding a non memory foam material on top of memory foam is that it can affect the ability of the memory foam underneath to soften with body heat and can firm up the memory foam underneath it. It will also affect the surface “feel” of the mattress since the new top layers of your sleeping system will contribute their own characteristics and response to the “feel” of the mattress.

A thinner wool topper will also make a difference in temperature regulation (even more than a foam topper) but again it can also affect the feel and response of the mattress and the memory foam underneath it.

All of these would affect the sleeping temperature of your mattress but whether any one of them would be “enough” for you or whether you will do better with a combination of changes that can have a bigger effect by working together can really only be known based on your own personal experience because each person can be different in terms of how warm or cool a specific mattress or “sleeping system” will sleep for them and where they are in the “oven to iceberg” range.

Phoenix