Toppers and covers

Back and forth and lots of reading, I’m almost there. I’ve read most of all the “child mattress” forums and set on the 100% latex, most likely from CozyPure. I am looking for a good waterproof mattress protector because my kids still have accidents. What are the differences in a topper, cover and protector?
If I am getting all latex then no need for a latex topper, right? That would be like buying more of something you are already buying.
Thank you for your assistance, I feel like I am so close to making a purchase but want to feel 100% confident.

Hi annemt,

A mattress cover is the fabric (sometimes quilted) that tightly encloses the inner materials and components of a mattress. It is also called the mattress ticking and is part of the mattress itself.

A mattress protector is to protect your mattress from stains and the body fluids, skin cells, and oils that we release each night, to protect against spills and accidents, and to keep your sleeping surface in a clean and hygienic condition. It will also protect your warranty because mattress warranties are usually voided with any type of stain on a mattress. It is meant to be easily removable so that you can clean it and to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of the mattress itself.

A mattress topper is a separate component that is used to “fine tune” a mattress when necessary to provide additional “comfort” and pressure relief to a mattress that is too firm by itself.

A mattress allergy encasement is often also called a “mattress cover” (which can be confusing because it’s not meant to be used as a mattress ticking) and is used by those with allergies that wish to reduce their exposure to allergens in a mattress (usually dust mites) or to protect against bed bugs. It encloses a mattress on all 6 sides and zips up unlike a protector that fits on a mattress like a fitted sheet. Like a protector It is also meant to have the least possible effect on the feel and performance of a mattress. Some encasements can perform a dual function as a mattress protector and an allergy encasement while others would generally need an additional protector that can be more easily removed as well.

These are all very different products or components that are designed to perform different functions (although there can sometimes be some overlap between them). There is also more about the differences between mattress covers, protectors, encasements, and toppers at the end of post #6 here and the posts it links to.

That would depend entirely on whether your testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) indicated that the mattress by itself or the same mattress with an additional topper was a better “match” for you in terms of PPP. Some people may prefer just the mattress and some people may prefer the combination.

Phoenix

Thank you, this is all very usefull. I have one last question that I could not find an answer for here, What is convoluted foam?
I found a description for a 13" twin mattress that reads -Talalay latex foam on the surface
2" high density convoluted foam (for $569, 6" all latex mattress is $899 and I’m looking to buy 3)

Here’s a photo of convoluted foam.

okay, but what about in the matter of toxicity is it Polyurethane foam? If I’m buying latex, does it make sense to spend the money with it having this 2" convoluted foam?
Thank you.

Toppers may help pertaining to introducing softness/pressure comfort ahead a pre-existing bedding, providing that your sleep below remains to be loyal. Should you have serious impacts as well as have the spgs look poor in most locations, a new topper probable won’t be all you need to take care of the situation (along with investing in a new high-end one particular is frequently virtually just as much as updating your bedding.

Hi richard.meyer,

There is more about the pros and cons of convoluted layers in post #2 here but any type of foam can be convoluted.

While some people may be unusually sensitive to some materials due to certain medical issues such as MCS (multipal chemical sensitivities) or may be sensitive to some materials that the large majority of people would be fine with and these types of exceptions are really impossible to predict … if the foam has a reliable certification for harmful substances and VOC’s (see post #2 here) then outside of these more unusual circumstances or outside of those people who may prefer more natural materials for “personal” reasons (rather than “safety” reasons) … they would certainly be “safe enough” for the very large majority of people to sleep on.

[quote]I found a description for a 13" twin mattress that reads -Talalay latex foam on the surface
2" high density convoluted foam (for $569, 6" all latex mattress is $899 and I’m looking to buy 3) [/quote]

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

I would always make sure you know the specifics of every layer and component in any mattress you are considering so you can make sure that there aren’t any lower quality materials that would be a weak link in the mattress (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines it links to)

I removed your link because it doesn’t contain any useful information and this is one of many sites that tends to spam their site for search rankings.

Hopefully you aren’t connected with the site and I’m not sure why you quoted this but it sounds more like gibberish to me than anything else.

Phoenix