transitioning from memory foam to latex

We had a Bragada Deluxe 13" memory foam mattress for 9 years and it developed body impressions that were causing back pain. memory foam has good resiliency, so the impressions in the support layers were barely measurable on the top of the mattress. I guess this is typical from what I’ve learned here about mattress warranties. Anyway, after reading all the info here at Mattress Underground we decided to give an all-latex mattress a try and found “Flexus” nearby with affordable prices. We chose a 10" mattress with 6" of firm dunlap latex,(two 3" layers) 3" of soft talalay, and 1" of natural fiber (cotton and wool). We are both side sleepers and this seemed the most comfortable for both of us after trying all the choices. We considered the 6" medium dunlap with 3" talalay but it seemed too soft.
It’s been a week now and it seems to not have enough give for side sleeping so looking for advice. I can exchange any 1 layer for free so I’m considering changing the top layer of dunlap from firm to medium hoping to achieve more “sinking in”. Other option we’re considering is a 2" talalay topper over existing, what do you think? We understand latex is different than memory foam and some adjustment time is necessary but it sure is great waking up without back pain. We never thought we could afford an all-latex mattress but got a great deal at Flexus and James was very helpful with no pressure to buy whatsoever. I haven’t spoken to him yet as I wanted to hear your opinion first. Until I found Mattress Underground I was totally confused by all the online adds for mattresses, I am a confident, knowledgeable consumer now thanks to Phoenix. I am truly grateful for the effort you’ve put into this site my friend.

Hi tommytech,

Congratulations on your new mattress first of all … you certainly made a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

Yes … foam softening and “virtual impressions” which leads to the loss of comfort and support without visible impressions that are deep enough to be covered under a warranty is much more common than loss of height with memory foam.

[quote]It’s been a week now and it seems to not have enough give for side sleeping so looking for advice.

I haven’t spoken to him yet as I wanted to hear your opinion first.[/quote]

There are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful but if you’ve only been sleeping on your mattress for a week I would give it a little bit more time (I would suggest a minimum of two weeks).

I’m guessing that you meant changing the “bottom” layer of Dunlop from firm to medium (your top layer is soft Talalay).

Both of these options could work to provide additional pressure relief but to different degrees. Adding a topper would add “more” additional softness/thickness and pressure relief than choosing a softer support core under your top layer but adding a topper may also be a little bit more risky and you could end up “jumping over” the combination that was best for you and the additional thickness/softness could be “too much” which could have a negative effect on your alignment.

If Flexus is close enough for enough for another visit I would consider re-testing the Medium Dunlop with the Talalay comfort layer. Even though it may have felt “too soft” for you … what you “feel” on a mattress when you first lie on it is more about comfort/pressure relief than alignment (which is what you generally feel when you wake up in the morning) so your experience may have been a pointer that it was closer to what you need than the firmer choice that you made. If you are in good alignment on the soft/medium combination then that would probably be the least risky (and least costly) choice out of the two.

Of course James and/or Henry can also give you some good suggestions because they have much more experience with fine tuning their mattresses than anyone else and they would also know more about your body type as well having seen you and can also help “talk you through” the options you have available which can also help them give you some better guidance than I can.

Phoenix