Trial period on Sealy silver chill, debating on Brooklyn Bedding Heritage

Hello,

I’m new to this forum but I have done a bit of preliminary research looking at mattresses. Just for some background, I am looking for a mattress that will last me at least 10 years. Something that isn’t too plush nor too hard. This bed is for a couple, I am 5;10 and 200lbs, relatively fit except for my recent herniated disc, and a side/stomach sleeper. my girlfriend is 5;2 and 125lbs ,relatively fit, and a side/stomach sleeper as well. She likes super soft mattresses, her mattress right now is pretty much sagging in the middle and has absolutely no support. I struggle to get out from the center of the bed because of how bad it is. she absolutely adores the monstrosity. On the other hand, I had a relatively firm mattress from ikea that had began to sag. I had originally just thrown a memory foam topper to help but it didn’t really do much.

I am looking for a mattress that is medium firmness with perhaps a slight lean towards soft, one that will last a while, and that would perhaps have cooling tech (though this isn’t really strictly necessary since I will have a mattress protector which I’m not convinced won’t cancel out the cooling). Additionally, I am looking for a mattress that wont be difficult to roll out of. Because of my herniated disc and general back problems, I sometimes have trouble getting out of beds that are too plush, or at least I have violent flashbacks to my girlfriend’s bed.

So far I have looked at brooklyn bedding, Helix mattresses, Saatva classic, and some basic mattresses from mattressfirm. I ended up choosing between the brooklyn bedding heritage, Sedona, or the sealy silver chill. These are all generally in the same price category after sales and whatnot. anyway, I ended up getting the silver chill and unfortunately I only noticed after I got it that if I push down on the right spot on the sides of the mattress, that I can REALLY feel the coils. like if I had gotten a pen I could stab probably directly through the top of one on the outermost ring of the mattress. I can’t tell if this is a defect or not but it is making me reconsider the mattress I chose.

I guess my question at this point is, what is the general consensus on the silver chill (I got the plush), the brooklyn bedding Heritage (probably plush or medium) or finally the Saatva latex hybrid? I am looking for a hybrid mattress because I kind of like the bounciness of a mattress. Are the latter two considered good? the salesman at the store REALLY tried to upsell the heritage going on about six inches of latex and 10,000 coils and such but after looking at the placket, it doesnt look like it has six inches but more like 3? does this all even matter? is six inches overkill? is 10,000 overkill? is the saatva latex hybrid a good alternative? would it run soft, medium, or firm? please let me know.

I’ve attached a description of the Brooklyn Bedding Heritage since its an in-store only mattress.

https://https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/49946/BBHeritage.jpg

Thank you!

I’m by no means an expert. But throwing in my own experience for whatever that’s worth. I went through a few months of mattress testing, mattress buying, mattress returning 5 years ago, 2.5 years ago, and then again over the past few months. I was happiest with a good latex topper, and a cheap mattress firm spring mattress. I have a 3in “sleep on latex”, it was $400 but lasted longer than the mattresses, still has not developed soft spots or sagging. Far more luxurious the latex on Brooklyn Bedding, GhostBed, or Helix, or anything under $3k with memory foam top or pillow top mattress from mattress firm.
Without the topper, Brooklyn Bedding seemed like you’re getting better quality materials for the price. I returned on Brooklyn Bedding mattress, that process was painless. Mattress firm return policy is worth bothering (between return shipping and restocking fee, I’d only get a 60% back and only in store credit) …BUT you can get king mattress for $500, if it lasts one year it’s still cheaper (per year) than anything else I’ve gotten on the past decade. I think it’s more than likely that as long as I always use a 3" topper, there shouldn’t be issues with pressure points sagging or molding to my body shape.
Covid prevented me from going to the Saatva show room, I’ve never felt their mattress. However, to me, it seems like more can go wrong quicker with these cheaper mattresses that use multiple coil layers like the heritage and the saatva.

Hi SleepyPanda18.

Sorry to hear about his current mattress sag and rolling in the center which is especially of concern for a stomach sleeper.

Heritage is a premium/luxury design but that does not mean that it will be a good match for you. Like with every other mattress purchase you’d need to ensure that this mattress is what you need in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure Relief, and Personal Preferences)

This mattress has microcoils (smaller and softer springs) as the comfort layer which have a different response curve (more linear) than foam (which has a more banana-shaped response curve) and they work well for those who prefer their feel and resilience or whose testing shows that they do better with this type of response vs foam. They can work well but you’d want to test it to see if you like the feel.

You are approaching higher BMI ranges and with both you and your girlfriend sleeping on our stomach I’d be concerned about the level of firmness and type of mattress that best fits both of you. The (19") Heritage in plush you listed could present some issues for your stomach sleeping which being too plush may lead to spinal misalignment through hyperextension in a swayback position that can cause back issues. You may wish to review the guidelines in this Sleep Positions Article [url] [url=https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/ultimate-dream-mattress-firmness-level]Post #2 here has some generic guidelines for different body types and sleeping positions ,
the first part of post #2 here also has more information about couples that have a larger weight differential and

Their hybrid is available only in stores so if you are close to one you can certainly go and check it out. If you go and try it I’d definitely try their firm version for comparison with their soft.
I could not quite read the text from the photo you posted but managed to find their specs for both versions.
[table]
[tr]
[td]

(14.75’) Heritage Firm ~ Microcoils/Hybrid
[/td]
[td]
(19.25") Heritage Soft ~ Microcoils/Hybrid
[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]
• 1" Joma Wool -2 x .5" layers sustainably sourced Joma Wool
• 2.25" Microcoil Triple layer- 2 x .75" Firm gauge, plus .75" medium gauge Comfort
• 1.5" Talalay latex transition foam
• 8" Pocket coils
• 2" High Density foam base
[/td]
[td]
• 2.25" Premium Tufted top
• 2" quadruple layer Joma Wool (.5" x 4)
• 2.5" Microcoil layer- (2 x .75" Firm gauge, plus .75" medium gauge) Triple Ascension
• 1.5" soft Talalay latex foam comfort layer
• 1.5" firm Talalay latex transition layer
• 8" Pocket coils
• 1.5" High-Density foam base
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Before rushing into any of the “cooling tech” promises I’d read a bit more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. In very general terms … there are many materials that are naturally temperature regulating. Materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin and softer mattresses or foam toppers will tend to be more “insulating” and for some people can sleep warmer than firmer versions of the same material.

This mattress has the following configuration
(13") Saatva Latex Hybrid Mattress
• 1.5" quilted cover
• 1/2’’ New Zealand wool comfort layer
• 3" 5-zone natural latex (ILD 22-23)
• 8" Pocket coil
• ½" Organic Eco-Loft Pad
Comfort level Medium to Firm
The 1.5" quilted cover will affect the most how hot or cold you’d be sleeping. Typically there is some type of polyurethane in the quilting which is not the most temperature regulating material.
This mattress would be better for you than the Heritage, but still, it is impossible for me to predict if it would " " as there are too many interrelated variables including personal ones.
This is one of the most common questions on the forum (ie. which mattress type or firmness level would be better for me?) and there is some fairly extensive general information in the mattresses section of the site (particularly in the sections about sleeping style, preferences, and statistics along with putting the layers togethertips and tricks here and the page on ) that can give you some general concepts, guidelines, and insights about the effects of different body types, sleeping styles, and mattress designs for different people but this is only generic and not specific to any particular person and may be more complex than you really need to know.

For comparison listed below is the construction of your current mattress that is still in the trial period.
(14") Sealy Hybrid Premium Silver Chill Mattress
• (?) Chill cover
• 2" memory foam layer 3.5 lb/ft3 Chill immersion
• 1.5" Gel comfort sense foam
• 1" polyurethane foam
• 8" pocket coils with HD duraflex foam edge support
Comfort level: 2 options medium(plush) and Firm

Once you have a chance to read through the links above and reorient yourself let us know if you have additional questions
Phoenix