Trying to compare a Spindle to other latex mattresses my wife and I tried out today

I’m sure this really isn’t possible, but I’ll ask the question anyway! :slight_smile: I’m in the LA area, and we tried out some mattresses at foamsweetfoam’s store. The construction is three 3" layers of latex in a zippered mattress cover. The particular model we zeroed in on was a combo of Dunlop Medium/Dunlop Firm/Dunlop X-Firm. FSF’s website has the spec’s of the foam used, densities and ILD ratings. (4.9/5.3/5.5 density and 25/31/36 ILDs) I would consider FSF, but we’re buying 2 Twin XLs that will be going onto an adjustable bed, and the total cost for the mattresses is out of our price range.

I’d love to get some thoughts on how to compare Spindle’s offerings to what we just tried without having to fly out to Boston. I’ve emailed asking for the “numbers”, but realize that it may be apples and oranges.

Hi rcy1,

The closest comparison between FSF with 3 layers of Dunlop to the Spindle mattresses would be to their 10" Abscond that used their 100% natural Dunlop layers but this would also be a somewhat apples to oranges comparison because FSF has a wool quilted cover while the standard Spindle version uses a cover that is quilted with polyfoam and the cover can be a significant part of the cost (and performance) of a mattress. There would also be some difference between the “feel” of the Mountaintop 100% natural Dunlop that Spindle uses which is made with a continuous pour method and the molded Dunlop that FSF uses although they are very comparable in terms of quality. Spindle also has a wool quilted cover option which isn’t on their website yet (NOTE: they now use wool quilting along with 100% natural Dunlop in their mattresses) which would make the comparison a little closer. The ILD’s may also not be completely comparable because Mountaintop uses a different method for testing ILD although Neal would likely be able to tell you which of his layers would be closest to the ILD’s or density of the FSF Dunlop. He may not have something comparable to the firmest versions at FSF but again you would need to talk with him.

When you aren’t able to test a mattress in person then the only way to answer these types of questions (outside of the quality of the materials which you can compare based on knowing the type and blend of the latex) would be with more detailed conversations with the manufacturer. Just to add to the mix of similar options SleepEz also has a similar design with 3" of 100% natural Dunlop (molded) with a wool quilted cover.

Once you are comparing apples to apples then you can make more meaningful comparisons between them. Of course it may also be well worth considering Spindle’s synthetic latex which is a lower cost version of latex than the 100% natural but while it’s also a good quality material and has great value, its feel and performance is also different and 100% natural Dunlop would be denser, more resilient and “supportive” compared to its synthetic counterpart. Once you have talked with each of them (and tested the ones that you can) then which of your final choices would be “best for you” would depend on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

You are certainly be choosing between “good and good” no matter which one you decide on.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply and all the helpful info on the site. One other question we were debating was if there is a big difference between 6" and 9" of latex in the mattress. FSF didn’t have a mattress available with 6" of latex to try out. (only their 9" and 12") I know I’ve read that anything over 9" is pretty much for show, but what are your thoughts on 6" of latex vs. 9". One of the other mattresses we’ve considered is the Tuft and Needle. (a 5" mattress) I realize it’s not latex, but have heard good things about it. My only concern would be that it probably has a significantly shorter life than a latex mattress.

Hi rcy1,

You can see my thoughts about the effects of thicker layers or a thicker mattress in post #14 here. More individual layers would also give you more options to customize the “feel” and performance of the mattress either before or after a purchase which can be a benefit for some people that need to do some fine tuning of their mattress.

Yes polyfoam is not as durable as latex and being only 5" it would also compress to a greater percentage of its thickness and tend to be firmer than a thicker mattress that can adapt more easily to different body profiles and sleeping positions but it’s a great option for those who are in a much lower budget range and their return policy also means that the risk of trying it is also low.

Phoenix

A quick update. After a bit of info from Spindle, we went ahead and got two Twin XL 10" Absconds. ( Synthetic latex -Firm/Firm/Medium - With the included Organic Cotton cover) Assembly was straightforward and our quick test after getting the mattresses today (we’re in CA, so a trip to Boston to test a mattress was out) was good for both my wife and I. Maybe a touch softer than the FSF Dunlop Medium/Dunlop Firm/Dunlop X-Firm we tested at FSF, but to us, still supportive.

The mattresses will eventually go on a Reverie 5D adjustable bed. I’ll post back after we’ve put in some time in on the mattresses.

Hi rcy1,

I think you did some good research and ended up making a great choice that was the best match for your personal value equation … which of course it the ultimate goal of the site.

Congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on them for a while.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=33211]Hi rcy1,

I think you did some good research and ended up making a great choice that was the best match for your personal value equation … which of course it the ultimate goal of the site.

Congratulations on your new mattresses :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on them for a while.

Phoenix[/quote]
Is four years long enough? :slight_smile: We’ve been using the combo of a Reverie 5 adjustable split king bed and Spindle Abscond “medium” synthetic latex mattress.
First, the Reverie adjustable bed has been very nice. Has a button for flat, zero gravity and you can set another to your preference. Has a “massage” function, which is nice but shuts off automatically after 20 minutes. Bought it from Flexus Comfort, who were easy to work with, and got a good deal.

The Spindle mattress is a three layer Firm/Firm/Medium synthetic Dunlop latex. As to the upside, I can’t tell any difference in shape from the day it arrived. No indentation at all, seems very durable. For the downside, it’s not particularly comfortable anymore (perhaps due to my aging - I’m 55). I’m a 6’ 195 lb guy, and can’t lay on my side for more than about 1/2 hour at a time without getting a sore hip. I find myself searching for a comfortable position these days. And I’m disappointed to say I haven’t found this latex “temperature neutral”. Sleeps pretty warm. I’ve removed pretty much everything between me and the mattress (even removed the mattress protector, which was a poly/cotton mix - just three layers of latex inside the cotton mattress cover now). Tried multiple sheet sets including Bamboo sheets, Cotton, and Sheex. It’s a bit better than it was, but I still wake up hot.
I did find Spindle an good company to work with, and very responsive to my questions.

So I’m beginning the search for a topper I can put between me and the bed that does two things:

1. Allows me to sleep on my side again, and not wake up with sore hips
  2. Sleeps cool
    I think the mattress is a good base, and I’d like to be able to use what I’ve got before starting over with a new mattress. If Purple made a topper, I’d be all over it. But I’m thinking a soft Talalay or wool topper.

Hi rcy1.

Welcome back after four years… not long enough it seems :lol:

I am glad that the mattress holds well to the test of time, but it seems that you are in dire need of some fine-tuning.

[quote] So I’m beginning the search for a topper I can put between me and the bed that does two things:

1. Allows me to sleep on my side again, and not wake up with sore hips
  2. Sleeps cool
    I think the mattress is a good base, and I’d like to be able to use what I’ve got before starting over with a new mattress. If Purple made a topper, I’d be all over it. But I’m thinking a soft Talalay or wool topper. [/quote]

You clearly did your research and you are on the right track… your choice of materials and plan is a good way to address the temperature and comfort issues.

Regarding your hip soreness that you developed over time … it seems that you’ve encountered what I call an “unknown variable”… the change in needs and preferences overtime for a mattress that was suitable at the time of purchase that may no longer be so after a certain period. This could be closely connected with where you were inside the range of comfort and support that was suitable for you when you purchased your mattress and how far away from the edge of the comfort range you were at the time. If you were very close to it then a few years of “aging” may have put you right over that edge and “crossed the line” into becoming unsuitable for you. You may wish to read this post by Sonic (one of our consumer members) about aging here.

You are correct that as we age our need for pressure relief (thicker or softer comfort layers) can often become greater and also side sleepers in general desire a bit more surface comfort to allow the shoulders and hips to “sink in” a bit more, but not to the point of causing poor alignment. If you also sleep on your back, you’ll also need to allow your hips and shoulders “sink in” a bit, but this usually wouldn’t be quite as much when side sleeping, so you’ll want to find something that is suitable for both of these popular sleeping positions.

Talalay is temperature neutral and Wool has temperature regulating qualities, and both are great choices for adding more plushness. Wool in the upper comfort material actually compresses a bit over time and firms up, but it is a popular choice with those who are very pressure point sensitive (such as those with fibromyalgia). There are some topper guidelines in post #8 here that may be useful as a guide. As far as instructions for selecting a topper, there is more information about choosing a topper in post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to, which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier (that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market), can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

Because of the uncertainty involved with purchasing a topper where you can’t test the combination in person … a good exchange/return policy can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would also make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase to exchange or return the topper and any costs involved just in case a topper you choose also doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for. There are links to topper suppliers and some with return policies in the link I provided in the previous paragraph.

As far as sleeping temperature, the materials, layers, and components of a sleeping system that are closer to your skin will have a bigger effect on airflow, moisture transport, and temperature regulation than materials, layers, and components that are further away from your skin. and you can read more about phase change materials in post #9 here. There is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range. Latex itself is a quite breathable material.

This is mainly to confirm and reinforce your findings.
Good luck with the topper hunt. Let us know what you chose.

Phoenix

So, in my research to find out why I’m sleeping so hot, I discovered my Reverie 5D adjustable bed was very warm to the touch in one area. Apparently, the motor is failing after 4 years. Since it’s out of warranty, I’m out of luck. $335 for a new motor that I’d have to install that Reverie said could cause other failures, or $800+ to replace all the electronics (that they would do). Roughly 200 less than a completely new 5D from Flexus. Or I can get an iDealBed (Leggett) on Amazon for ~650.

Well, anyway, I turned off the bed last night and it helped a bit. But still looking at options, including a new mattress.

Hi rcy1.

Sorry to hear about the motor failure…all the major brands tend to usually make quite reliable adjustable bases, the motors are generally not under that much of a strain and typically if you see an issue with the product it tends to be in a very short time frame so certainly, your experience wouldn’t be the norm. I’ll be passing your post to our new expert in Adjustable bases for any suggestions and comments he might have that can be helpful to you.
Note for Tim: Reference discussion started in post #7 here

Phoenix

I don’t know what to tell you about a new motor that “could cause more problems”.

That’s something I’ve never heard from my supplier Leggett & Platt. But then again we have very few motor failures.

The motor is at the “end” of the circuit and doesn’t “feedback” to any other components or wires. Can’t see how this could affect anything other than the motor itself. Unless, as the motor was failing it was drawing too much current/amperage and has caused damage to the power supply.

This is a small possibility so the Reverie people may have seen this before and that’s why they’re warning you.

The iDealBed on Amazon for $650: Amazon.com

This isn’t a Leggett & Platt. The giveaway is the 10-Year Limited Warranty. Leggett & Platt is 25-Year Limited.

This iDealBed at $1049 is a Leggett & Platt: Amazon.com

And, it’s not really an iDealBed. It’s a Leggett & Platt S-Cape 2.0.