Trying to decide between Luma hybrid system, Ultimate Hybrid, Flexus Quadr-Flex

I have gotten info from Arizona Mattress and chatted with Luma Sleep, but haven’t be able to talk to Flexus yet. I know these companies are all members here and these are all good choices as far a quality, but I just can’t seem to make up my mind!

I like the looks of the Luma. I can swap out the coils for Combi-zone if I want. It has 1.5" latex on top of the coils and a 3" latex topper. All blended talalay. They also have a 1" layer HD polyfoam under the coils. The other two hybrids do not have this layer under the coils. When I chatted with Luma, he said it helps to stabilize the coils and help them work properly. Also, all the layers are glued together with water-based glue. They do not use wool in the cover. This is the most expensive choice between the 3, but has a good trial/return policy and free pillows and mattress protector.

My questions on the Luma are:
How does the 1" HD foam under the coils effect the mattress? Is it really needed to stabilize the coils?
I’ve read different opinions on this, but how does blended talalay compare to natural? Is it a good choice as far as comfort and durability?
Is there a benefit to having the layers glued together? Luma mentioned it keeps layers from sliding apart. Is that generally an issue with the ones that aren’t glued together?

I haven’t been able to find out yet about the Quadra-flex coil or the Bodyprint in one of their 2-sided mattresses and how they compare to the Combi-zone. I sent an email, but plan to call today.

Thanks for your help!
jakofin

Hi jakofin,

While not a necessity (some brands use HD polyfoam for a base under a pocketed spring unit, some use a pre-compressed fiber pad, others use nothing), all of the layers used within a mattress make a difference, and the polyfoam base with provide a bit of a solidity to the overall feel of the spring unit.

Most of the Talalay produced worldwide is blended Talalay latex. Talalay Global (TG) produces the Talalay latex used in the Luma mattresses, and in past comparisons they have related that their blended Talalay is more durable than the natural Talalay that they produce.

You can read in more detail about the difference between natural (NR), synthetic (SBR) and blended (SBR/NR) Talalay latex in post #2 here. All of the latex you’re likely to encounter will be a durable material.

The benefit would be as described by Luma – the layers stay in place better. As the Luma base mattress isn’t meant to be a configurable unit (you order the firmness you desire and customize with their topper system), there would be no reason to leave the layers loose within the mattress and gluing would make sense for structural integrity. In models where the cover zippers off and customization is possible, the gluing of course would not be an option. The mattress encasement and the “stickiness” of latex help keep it in place in mattresses where the latex is “loose” inside.

The support core of a mattress is rarely the weakest link in a mattress, and I don’t think you’ll have a concern with any of these innerspring units. The Bodyprint was a trademarked name from Leggett and Platt for one of their pocketed spring models.

Phoenix

What did you end up getting? I am looking at the same 3. Also what firmness did you get (sleep position, body weight as well as I am having difficulty deciding what to get as I sleep on my stomach and side)?

Hi Jill71rdh.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I moved your post a topic that fits better your inquiry.

I am sorry to hear about your RLS syndrome as this makes it so much more difficult to fall asleep or to return to sleep after waking up. Certainty making sure that you have a good sleeping environment is a good starting point to deal with this condition.

As motion isolation is of concern due to your RLS preexisting condition, both materials you are considering latex and pocket coils are suitable for motion separation (see post #18 here). Having said that … all the layers and components in a mattress will have some effect on the feel and performance of all the other layers and the mattress “as a whole” so the best way to test for motion isolation is your own careful testing on a mattress using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post (with both of you on the mattress) because a mattress that may be “motion isolating enough” for one couple may not be as suitable for another couple that is more sensitive. A foundation under your mattress would certainly contribute to having better motion isolation, but it would depend on the type and force of the movement and on the thickness of your mattress as well. Overall most manufacturers would agree that latex is “good” with motion isolation, especially the slower heavier types of movement such as turning over or bouncing or getting out of bed and are an improvement over other materials (except memory foam) but again this depends on the type of movement or vibration and the specific construction of the mattress, the ticking and quilting materials, and the materials or components above and below the latex and even the bedding above the latex as well.

You may be aware that regardless of core strength you may have a prone sleeping position is the weakest posture to sleep in for your lumbar region. There’s a bit more information about common sleeping positions and appropriate sleep surfaces here I don’t know when or how often in your sleep cycle you would switch to a side sleeping position but generally speaking as your primary sleeping position seems to be prone you would need a surface that is firmer and less “forgiving”.

Depending on the person’s BMI and weight distribution between different areas of the body a coil unit will have different comfort/ support response curves for each individual sleeper with most units being engineered for a wide range of needs and preferences and all three systems you are considering would have both the motion isolation and the edge support that you desire.

The Luma Hybrid Latex Slumber is a high-quality hybrid mattress using NR Talalay latex in the comfort layer. Luma’s perimeter edge in the CombiZone pocket coil unit (by Leggett & Platt) has smaller diameter coils around the edge offering more support and considerably reducing the roll-off and creating a more consistent sleep surface. The central third zone of the system is also providing more support in the center third zone of the unit for the hips and lumbar area. The mattress comes in 3 firmness choices and it can be purchased with or without topper (in 14" or 10.5" configuration). I am glad you also reached out to Arizona Premium as their Ultimate Hybrid Pocket Coil Latex is another hybrid mattress that would fit your criteria that uses the same Quantum Edge Combi-Zone innerspring unit as Luma does. The Quadra-Flex is also a good quality value choice that fits your criteria, using a similar tri-zoned pocketed spring innerspring (Tx Pocket Spring) with lower wire gauge around the perimeter for better edge support and 3" of NR Talalay on top and is also available in three different levels of plushness. All these choices are good for motion isolation, temperature regulation, and edge support.

You are correct in that a bad mattress can certainly exacerbate any preexisting conditions while a suitable mattress can offer some “neutrality” where healing can occur.

You are certainly looking at 3 great quality/value choices and I’d be interested to learn of your eventual decision.

Phoenix

I have never tried a latex mattress and have chosen it because of longevity and it’s apparently much cooler. If I give you my zipcode can you tell if there are any stores near me that have latex for me to try? It is 17025.

Also, you had suggested a firmer model due to sleeping on my stomach . I start out on my stomach but toss and turn all night long between my side and stomach. I don’t know if it is because of our mattress but I am lucky to get 3 hrs sleep at night. I am not sure how much longer I can take that but I am the worst person for making decisions. Especially if I can’t try something out before I purchase. The level of firmness really has me confused because of sleeping on both stomach and side.

Ugh. Now I am leaning towards a memory foam hybrid because of motion isolation being better. Is a viola hybrid good?

Or would adding a gel memory foam topper on a latex hybrid help with motion transfer? I am beyond frustrated. We have too many issues I think to ever find the right mattress and my indecisiveness makes it worse. I feel like giving up.

Hi Jill71rdh.

Based on your earlier input, I suggest that you find a local shop and give latex a try. Latex is not only the most durable foam type and good at motion isolation but it is very breathable and a great choice for temperature regulation. You can perform a forum search and you can type in the key term any city or area you would be closer to and consider driving such as Enola, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, or any other area and see what other businesses have been discussed in that region which may be helpful to you.

www.magicsleeper.net/ Pottstown (or Pottsdown), PA. Local factory direct manufacturer that makes a range of good quality and value mattresses including two-sided innerspring mattresses and a number of latex and latex hybrid options. Family owned and good people. They also make custom designs and sizes and they are also a member of this site.

You could also try gardnersmattressandmore.com/ Retail outlet in Lancaster, PA. They carry a wide range of manufacturers including Pure Talalay Bliss, Posh & Lavish, Pranasleep, Organicpedic (OMI), Naturepedic, Savvy Rest component latex mattresses as well as Vi-Spring and Hypnos which are more “ultra premium” brands. While all of these manufacturers generally use good quality materials … I would make some careful value comparisons here because some of them may be in higher budget ranges than other similar mattresses.

Other than this, we have decided to discontinue the provision of listings of potential retailers in various geographic regions (unless they are already approved site members), because of the difficulty in maintaining such lists in a retail landscape that is constantly changing, and most importantly the confusion it was creating with the consumer members who incorrectly assumed that these businesses had indeed gone through the strict qualification process and were approved as members of The Mattress Underground. Such an assumption is unfair to both the consumers seeking assistance, as well as the very businesses and manufacturers who meet the criteria to become Trusted Members of The Mattress Underground.

Whatever business you’re considering, I would always confirm that any retailer or manufacturer that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and also make sure that any mattress that you are considering meets the Post #13 quality/value guidelines here.

I am sorry to hear that you hardly get 3 hours sleep a night on your current mattress, but I am glad that you are researching rather than just rushing into making a “blind purchase” as … at this point probably just anything would feel better than your current mattress, but this would not determine how long you will sleep well on the mattress. I would add that most people who paid little attention in the past to their sleeping positions, body needs, and seeping environment would have a similar situation as you do and they would have to go through a period of relearning what “normal” is for their bodies which would involve some local testing and experimenting. You are correct that for your prone sleeping you would need firmer and thinner comfort layers to keep you in better alignment and avoid hyperextension of the lumbar area. Even though you may be tossing and turning and switching between stomach and side sleeping (because of an unsuitable mattress), you would still need to determine first what your primary sleeping position is (stomach or side) and base your options on that. To determine this you may ask yourself questions such as … When was the last time I comfortably slept on the mattress? and … What position did I use to go to sleep in ?.. and… What position did I use to wake up in? … How often did I wake up? … Although personal needs may change over time, they are usually gradual and remembering some details about when you last slept well on a mattress would be a good starting point.

Generally, I would not recommend memory foam for stomach sleepers, but if you chose to go that way keep in mind that due to its viscous nature and poor breathability the foam will trap your body heat which will cause the foam to soften overnight and create misalignment and postural issues. Latex, on the other hand, offers the same support/comfort throughout the night and although. As far as motion isolation goes, latex is very point elastic and like memory foam is a good material for restricting motion, which means that it compresses at millions of specific points across the surface to take on the shape of the body profile with much less effect on the area around the point of compression. The difference between the two is that latex is highly resilient which means it absorbs much less energy than memory foam which has little to no resilience at all … hence the dead feeling and difficulty in repositioning. As you mentioned that the sleeping temperature is an issue I highly recommend that you find a shop nearby or visit Magic Sleeper which is one of Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry.

If personal testing on similar mattresses locally isn’t possible (either because there are no reasonably similar mattresses that you can find locally or because you have difficulty finding out more detailed specs of mattresses you are testing) … then you seem to be on the right track with your initial online choices and I suggest that you have a more detailed discussion with each of them. They are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available. Of course the options you have available with each retailer or manufacturer (or with a particular mattress) and your ability to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine-tuning after your purchase or the return policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation or to offset the risk that can go with any online purchase.

Phoenix

I think I have narrowed it down to the Luma hybrid system or the Flexus. They provide free shipping and the exchanges/ returns are free (Luma) or fairly cheap. I do not see what the Ultimate Hybrid cost for shipping but was told I must pay shipping if I am to return it. Can you provide me with any input on the differences between the Luma hybrid system and the Flexus Quad-flex that may sway me one direction or the other? I need the one with the best edge support as well as motion isolation. I think I have also decided to go with a medium/medium firm to try out since I sometimes sleep on my side.

Hi Jill71rdh,

I just literally went through the entire mattress purchasing process as you are right now-- from a bad first purchase all the way to family members calling me crazy for my obsession with understanding mattresses :wink: It can be seriously overwhelming.

I was looking at many of the Latex options as well, and I wanted to share with you why I decided on purchasing the Ultimate Hybrid from Arizona Premium. While all of these companies are considered great companies, I spent a thirty minute phone conversation and then over 15 emails with Ken at Arizona Premium Mattress customizing exactly what I wanted in my mattress, which is what solidified it for me. None of the other companies I called gave me the same amount of time or the customization options that he offered, and I felt really secure in my purchase at the end of it all.

Furthermore, the Ultimate Hybrid really seemed like the best value for the money, especially since I was able to add an additional 3" layer to the mattress and it was still $300 less expensive than the Luma Latex Slumber System. While Luma does have a free comfort exchange and free shipping, it seems like the “free” is actually built into their prices and they charge everyone a flat rate. At Arizona Premium you are charged the exact UPS price of your location–so depending on where you live it could be significantly less expensive. For example, I live in Virginia and my shipping was $175 because I live across the country. The exchange policy does charge you the shipping, but I also don’t think the UPS price of shipping one layer of latex is not going to be more than $50 (but I could be wrong?). That still is less than the $300 difference between the two beds.

The Ultimate Hybrid was about the same price as the Flexus QUADRA-FLEX; However, the significant difference to me was that the Ultimate Hybrid’s coils are well known Leggett & Platt that have been reviewed repeatedly as strong coils on Mattress Underground, whereas I could not find any information about the Flexus coils. In another forum post Phoenix suggests that they might be proprietary: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/l-p-coil-in-the-ultimate-hybrid-vs-quadra-flex-coil-in-flexus-comfort. Either way, there does not seem to be much information on their durability. Flexus also appears to have the same policy on returns and comfort exchanges as Arizona Premium, and the only difference is the initial free shipping. I think the knowledge of the components on the Ultimate Hybrid make that value stronger.

All that being said, there will be a longer wait to receive the Ultimate Hybrid from Arizona Premium Mattress compared to the other two companies, and it looks like at lease the Luma comes pre-made as opposed to assembling the pieces of the Ultimate Hybrid yourself.

That’s my two cents, and the reasoning behind my mattress choice just in case it helps you out at all. You can see in my own thread I tried 100 mattresses before I settled. I am excited to try my mattress when it comes. I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Jill71rdh.

I think that just about every person who buys a mattress or is a member of our forum has wrestled with a similar scenario which is all about how to choose between “good and good”. At this point … it’s time for me to step out of the way and I don’t think anyone can or even should try to “sway” you one way or another or tell you what to choose at this point. The products you are considering are good value/quality choices from our Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to be among the “best of the best” in the industry. FYI … I know it took me several weeks to narrow down my own final choices when I last purchased a mattress as I kept changing my mind about what was most important to me

Even though you are considering products that are using good quality and durable materials the final decision may not be always easy to make as it involves a combination of objective, subjective and also intangible personal factors. I would strongly suggest that you have a good conversation with each of the online manufacturers you are considering as this can play a big role in which direction you will be leaning. Another look at your finalists from the point of view of your "personal value equation"along with the expertise and recommendations from the conversation with each of the manufacturers would most likely give you enough clues to make an informed decision. The good news is that either way it would be difficult to make a mistake.

I’m looking forward to learning about what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Note to cbear08: Thanks for your enthusiastic input and once again … Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

What firmness level did you get? What position do you sleep in? Let me know how it works out for you. I am worried about motion transfer as well so if you have a sleep partner I would be interested to know how that is. Thanks!

I am a heavier BMI but I really love a plush feel. I sleep on my side and sometimes my back. Normally for a higher BMI everyone recommends a firmer ILD, but that is really not comfortable for me. I always chose the plush option in the stores.

I tried a few latex hybrid mattresses in person (Pure Talalay Bliss and The Original Mattress Factory) with latex layers that were below 20 ILD (soft/plush) and I loved them because they were comfy and embraced my body while still being buoyant (which I love because you don’t sink in and feel stuck like you might on memory foam even though it still feels soft). However, when I talked to Phoenix the concern was that there wouldn’t be enough support for me over a longer period because the latex might break down faster under a heavier weight.

When I brought this up to Ken from Arizona Premium he suggested that I add two layers of talalay on top of the coils instead of just one so that I can get the plush feel but the better support of the layer underneath. The top layer is 19 ILD (soft) and the bottom layer is 28 ILD (medium firm). If it is too plush, I can just switch the layers. The only catch is that the 19 ILD layer will probably break down faster than the 28 ILD layer because of my weight-- so I am prepared to purchase a new 3" talalay layer in 5 years and just switch them out for only $300. You of course don’t have to worry about that since you don’t have the same weight issues, but I wanted to answer your question fully :slight_smile:

That being said-- I would call Ken or email him with your number for him to call you. He was very thorough in going through the different ILDs and firmness with me to figure out what I need. He also has the ability to customize different sides of the bed-- if your husband would prefer a different firmness than you he can easily split the latex ILDs for the two sides. Just talk to him about you concerns and the available options.

Lastly, I do not have a sleep partner, but I can let you know how it feels when my dog jumps up on the bed, haha.

I hope that helped!

I ended up going to a Savvy dealer and trying their hybrid and all latex beds so I know what latex feels like. Initially they had 3 inch soft talalay toppers on both beds and they were way too soft. She removed them and we then tried the all latex which was an initial layer of firm Dunlop, then medium Dunlop and medium talalay. It was too soft (didn’t like the edge support and felt softer than what I had thought a medium would). We tried the hybrid (which is the style I am looking to buy) which had a firm talalay and it was too firm. They did not have a medium. We then tried the soft talalay hybrid and it wasn’t too bad. I have finally decided to go with the Arizona hybrid but am torn between what firmness to get. As I stated before, I am 130-135 lb and must go to sleep on my stomach. I sometimes turn on my side. My husband can sleep any way and on anything. Ken said that their coils are firmer than the Savvy hybrid so their plush would feel firmer than the Savvy soft and maybe that is the way to go. I worry that it will not support me enough for stomach sleeping but I know our current mattress (a firm I believe, spring mattress with an added memory foam topper) is too firm and uncomfortable. It is an old beautyrest euro top. I go back and forth between taking off the memory foam and putting it back on because I am not comfortable no matter what. I also worry that a plush will have more motion transfer. My husband (for not caring too much) did tell me he liked it better with the memory foam topper on so he must like things a little plusher. I really want to order this week so I can stop this obsessing. I just don’t know which way to go in firmness.

Hi Jill71rdh.

You are now in a good position as your testing goal was to, as much as possible, identify different qualities that are important and test for and measure each mattress against these specific qualities rather than comparing the feel of different mattresses against each other. Arizona’s Ultimate Hybrid- Pocket Coil/Latex is a good choice for your needs and preferences and at your BMI the 3" of latex (Talalay or Dunlop) would be thin enough for you to reach the support layer underneath and to have the right alignment for the prone sleeping position. I would call Ken once more and recap all your concerns before you place the order, but I would tend to rely on Arizona’s expert advice as they are much more familiar with their own mattress designs and materials than anyone else (including me) and they can use the information you provide them about your body type and sleeping positions, your preferences, your history on different mattresses, and the results of your local testing to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. The more accurate and detailed the information you provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choices out of the options they have available.

I understand that with the restless leg syndrome you would need to pay more attention to the motion isolation aspect (I am not very sure if you tested for this at the Savvy Rest dealer, as normally I advise both sleeping partners to test with normal sleeping movements, including getting on and off the mattress,) but the difference between a plush and medium layer of the same thickness on the same core would not be significant enough. Generally speaking the softer the latex the less motion transfer as there is more air/open cells to connect the latex molecules the lower the ILD. It will be a slight difference, barely noticeable… with the motion transfer coming mainly from the pocketed coils, and how they are connected to each other as well as where they are connected (e.g. if connected near the top of the coil, then when compressed, the individually wrapped coils will “pull” on each other. Note: most pocketed coils have the pockets connected with hot melt glue lines.) I would pay more attention to the foundation under your mattress as this would certainly contribute to having better motion isolation but it would depend on the type and force of the movement and on the thickness of your mattress as well (a thicker mattress would isolate you more from the springs).

I hope this gives you enough confidence to trust what your body tells you and Arizona’s expert advice (with over 4 decades of knowledge and experience in manufacturing and fitting people with the right mattress). I’d be interested to know what combination of components you decide upon.

Phoenix

I have spent the last year trying to find a mattress that won’t cause us pain. It has been a long journey. We tested a couple bed in a box mattresses and returned them a year ago. Then last summer we ended up purchasing a super pillowtop innerspring mattress from The Original Mattress Factory. What a mistake! We never liked it from day one. After a few months and constant flipping and rotating, it still felt like sleeping in a hammock and so we are now looking again.

I spent hours poring through these forums and reading articles. My husband and I both sleep on our backs and sides and both had lots of pain in pressure points (shoulders and hips). I bought a Zotto thinking it would give us some pressure relief. 3 weeks into the trial and I am having such horrendous lower back pain that I can hardly sleep on it. I am 5’6" 135 lbs so I did not expect to sink in too much but apparently my hips sink in enough to cause my lower back to arch. They suggested I try a mattress topper to “firm it up” which I did, but barely made a difference. So now I think we want to try a hybrid latex because we like the feel of innerspring mattresses but not memory foam.

I am trying to decide between the latex hybrid mattresses I have been researching through your website. I think I have decided on the Luma hybrid. I had a long chat session with them yesterday and got some good information. However, I am still unsure as to how many inches of latex we need to feel comfortable. There are a couple of Saavy rest dealers nearby but it looks like they only have the all latex beds in store to try out. We also have Fox Mattress nearby, but I read on here that they can customize a hybrid latex but what they have in store to try is also an all latex mattress. How can we figure out if the ultimate hybrid (1.5" plus the 3" topper) is the right amount of comfort layers? And will trying out the all latex mattresses to feel the different ILD numbers help if they don’t have the coils on bottom?

Hi chudd.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I am sorry that you and your husband are experiencing pains but the good news is that you’ve collected enough data points and that you are looking in the right direction with your research and local testing.

While Zotto (one of the “simplified choice” mattresses available on the market) does not have lower quality materials in their mattress relative to your BMI, it looks like their somewhat unusual design using 6" of specialty foams is too plush for you and does not offer the primary deep down support that you need for posture and alignment. Zotto’s suggestion to add a topper to fix the lack of deep support won’t work because “support” primarily comes from a combination of the firmness of the deeper layers and the thickness/thinness of the upper layers (how far away you are from the deeper support layer) and not nearly as much from the firmness of the topper, while pressure relief comes primarily from the softness and thickness of the comfort layers. This is why the comfort layers need to be “just soft and thick enough” to provide good pressure relief in the most “pressure prone” sleeping position (usually the side for those who sleep in this position), but more than “just enough” can put you too far away from the support layers and not “stop” your pelvic girdle from sinking down far enough. It’s not really possible (except to a limited extent) to improve the deep support of a mattress where the upper layers are too thick and soft or the support layers are too soft by adding a firmer topper which will “bend” into any softer foam below it. This “bending” will happen more if the topper is firmer than the layers below it (what I call a dominating layer) because the lower layers will compress more than the upper layers and the topper will “bend” into the compression of the foam below it. You will also have a sleeping surface which will be slightly less conforming and feel firmer (less pressure relieving) with a more “on the mattress” feel than if you were sinking into a softer topper even though the next layer down is still compressing. The real solution, in this case, would would have been to remove or replace softer support layers with firmer ones (which can’t be changed with a topper).

As you most likely are aware Luma is one of our our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them their products and the advice they provide. Stephano is very skilled at offering great guidance based on customer experience with other mattresses, somatotype, and BMI. The Hybrid Latex Slumber System(14" thickness) model that you are considering is using Talalay latex for upper layers, which will be more supportive/buoyant than the Memory Foam you’ve experienced with Zotto. The good news with them is that you can customize your mattress both before and after purchase at no additional cost. They have an interchangeable comfort layer system that allows for changing the firmness feel to get the desired comfort and appropriate support. Click here for Hybrid Slumber SystemMattress Description & Specifications[/url].

I am not sure what Fox has at the moment on their floor but they certainly have traditional innerspring with heavy duty continuous coils, which have a different feel than the pocket coils used in Luma Mattresses you are looking at. Fox Mattress makes custom innerspring-mattresses using pocket coil as well, but you would need to call and ask if they have one available for you to test. As you know Fox Mattress is one of our Trusted Members here and whether you buy from them or not part of their mission is to cut through the marketing stories and help consumers make an informed and suitable purchase.

Luma and Zotto are different matress categories and it is not possible for me to say which of the two options (1.5" or a 1.5"+3") is best for your particular needs. Based on your description and hte right appropriate firmnes selection for the upper layers they could both work . While I can help with is “how” to choose it’s not possible to make specific suggestions, not only because the mattress type and designs you’ve tried are far apart, but mainly because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about what would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here ). This being said you are in good hands with Luma as they would be the best to discuss with you based on the information you provide about yourself and the history on different mattresses and to make suggestions based on the “averages” of other customers that may be similar to you. Of course, the option that you have with them to exchange layers or the mattress itself or use other forms of fine-tuning after your purchase or the return policy may also be an important part of your personal value equation n to offset the risk that can go with any online purchase.

If you have other questions, please feel free to post back and I or any other Expert Members of the site would our best to answer them.

Phoenix