Trying to decide on firmness, Ultimate Dreams Eurotop

Hi Phoenix,
I would appreciate your input on the softness number in the Ultimate Dreams scale 1-10.
The only mattress’s I have tried out and really liked are the Tempur-Pedic Cloud luxe and the Simmons Comforpedic Loft Rhinebeck, the luxe was my favorite.
I am thinking after reading all the reviews I could find on Amazon and here that a number 8 or 9 might be closest to the luxe.
Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
I will also ask Chuck or who ever emails me from Dreamfoam after I make my purchase , but I wanted to see what your expert opinion might be first.
Thanks,
Dean

Hi dean_3326,

It’s always best to talk directly with the manufacturer about your firmness selection or help in choosing between the various options they offer. They are much more knowledgeable about their own designs and materials than I am and much better at helping their customers make the best possible than any “theory at a distance” I could offer … especially without more specific information (height, weight, body type, sleeping positions, mattresses you have tried with similar materials and layering etc) that can be used as a reference point.

I would also keep in mind that the mattresses you mentioned are memory foam mattresses which would not be directly comparable to latex but I would let them know the mattresses you have tested and liked along with the other necessary information they will need such as your height, weight, and sleeping positions in your conversations with them.

I would also talk to Chuck in person rather than using emails (which are really only good for more simple questions with more “black and white” answers rather than the more detailed discussions which you may need to decide on your best choice).

Their 13" gel memory foam would probably much closer to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (just a bit firmer apparently) than their latex models.

Phoenix

Thank you very much for the info… Hopefully I can choose a good number that will work for me.

Dean

Hi dean_3326,

I would keep in mind that latex will quite different from the memory foam mattresses you have been testing and that they have a mattress which is quite similar in feel to the Cloud Luxe as well.

You are working with a very knowledgeable person (Chuck) who will give you good guidance though and the only thing I would add is that if you are “in between” two choices that seem very close to you I would tend towards the firmer one because it’s much easier to “fine tune” a choice that is a little too firm than to “fix” a choice that is too soft and make it firmer.

If you are hesitant about making the “right” choice … the Eurotop option here is a little more but also allows for the option of exchanging the top layer for a different firmness level at a very reasonable cost so your first choice doesn’t have to be your final one. You can see how the exchange works and a comparison between the two in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix, For some reason I had not really looked at the Gel Memory Foam. The description sure comes as close as I have seen for a cloud-luxe comparison. Now I will have to think on this some.
I was leaning toward the Eurotop with a high number like 8 or 9 but I feel like it would be much firmer even at the soft end of the scale compared to the luxe.
I am a side sleeper and I have sensitive pressure points on my hips and shoulders plus I am over 65 years old is the reason I thought a softer mattress would let my hip and shoulder sink in deeper and maybe give me some relief. The cloud luxe seemed to do the job when I tested it.

I think mattress shopping online is a sort of torture treatment in itself since you have to go by a manufacturers description and what others opinions are.
Without a site like mattressunderground I would be totally lost at this point or I would have ordered something I would not have been happy with.
Thank you again for helping me. The Gel Mem. may be just what I need, and a hundred bucks cheaper.
Dean

Hi dean_3326,

Even local mattress shopping can be somewhat of a “torture treatment” if you are dealing with a salesperson who is more interested in their commission than they are in educating you about what best fits your needs and preferences. Filtering out the “noise” of the mattress industry and dealing with people who will give you straightforward accurate information is half the battle sometimes whether you are ordering online or locally.

In this case though … you are dealing with someone who will give you good information when you talk with them and do their best to help you make the best possible choices.

I’m looking forward to hearing about your final decision.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I called and talked with Chuck, he also suggested the memory foam gel since I had tried and liked the cloud luxe.
So I ordered it. I ask about the free pillow and he said it will be included, a nice benefit from being a member here at themattressunderground.com , thank you for that also.
Supposed to ship it Monday so I will get busy building a sturdy frame-foundation for it.
I will post back after I get it and give it a try. Can’t wait to burn the old innerspring, it is trying to kill my back.
Once again thank you very much for your help, unless I don’t like it. just kidding. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Dean

Hi dean_332t,

Congratulations on your new mattress!

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it … and hopefully you won’t have to “take back” your thanks :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix,

It has been three weeks since I got my new Dreamfoam Gel memory foam mattress. I wanted to give it plenty of time to be sure how it feels before posting again. I like it except for one thing, it is just a little too firm and I have some hip pain from it.
I think I need a topper, now I need help choosing the proper one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
dean_3326

Hi dean3326,

I think for the majority of people 3 weeks would be enough time to adjust to a new sleeping surface (most are less than this and a few are more depending on many factors including how used your body is to a different type of mattress) and make a reasonable assessment about how close they are to their “ideal”.

The two “parts” to choosing a topper is to first choose the material you prefer (and would be based on preference and on what you are familiar and comfortable with) and the second is to choose the thickness and the softness or type of the material (or in the case of memory foam the type and density of the memory foam).

Since subjective factors play such an important role in the choice of topper and because there is no way to know for certain which combination will be best for you until you have slept on the combination … post #8 here has some guidelines that are more “subjective” and should help in your choice.

Because you are looking for softer … I would also consider a 4 lb memory foam which in general tend to be a little softer in most people’s perceptions than 5 lb memory foam.

Depending on the more subjective “degree” of softening you are looking for and because there are already fairly thick layers of softer materials in your mattress … I would probably stay in the 1" - 2" range so you are not risking support/alignment more than necessary. Thinner will be less “risky” while thicker will have more of a softening effect.

Phoenix

Once again thank you Phoenix,
I will get a 4lb that is 2".
Much obliged,
Dean

Hi dean_332t,

That would probably make a good choice :).

Now all you have to do is buy from a reputable supplier that sells either American made or CertiPur certified memory foam (avoiding the uncertified offshore products particularly from Asia) and will give you good information about their products and you will likely be in good shape.

Phoenix

[quote=“dean_3326” post=13176]Hi again Phoenix,

It has been three weeks since I got my new Dreamfoam Gel memory foam mattress. I wanted to give it plenty of time to be sure how it feels before posting again. I like it except for one thing, it is just a little too firm and I have some hip pain from it.
I think I need a topper, now I need help choosing the proper one. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
dean_3326[/quote]

Dean, I am looking at the same mattress to replace a novafoam (that we love) to get a king set. What firmness level did you get? Thanks,

Dave

Hi schroedernd,

Just to clarify … the gel memory foam mattress only comes in one firmness level choice. Their latex hybrid or all latex mattresses are the ones that offer a choice of firmness levels in the comfort layers. As a reference … Dreamfoam has indicated that their 13" gel memory foam mattress is just a bit firmer than the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe (and softer than the Cloud Supreme) so you have a reference point to know what it may feel like for you. Of course it would also be important if you test the Cloud Luxe in the store to make sure that it has gone through it’s initial softening and break in period.

Phoenix

Thanks again Phoenix,
After looking around for a good USA made topper I decided to email Chuck at Dreamfoam again. He said they have toppers made from gel memory foam.
I guess the only decision I have left is which thickness. I was thinking 2" but now I am not sure.
As you said my mattress already has 3" of 4lb.gel memory foam, When I lay on my side my hip feels like it needs to sink in at least a couple of inches if not more, I guess I am wondering if a 2" is going to be enough or whether a 3" will cause misalignment as you said.
At this time I am leaning more toward the 4lb, 3". Decisions , decisions.

Dean

Hi dean_3326,

I doubt there is any way that you (or anyone) could possibly know or estimate how many inches a certain part of the body needs to sink in or how many inches an additional topper would allow your hips to sink in.

It’s much more effective (and accurate) to think in terms of how much more pressure relief you need than it is to think in terms of how many more inches you need to sink in.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I have been told the temperature is one reason my gel memory foam is not conforming as much as it should. The souloution that has been presented is a 2" latex topper, because it is not affected by temp. What are your thoughts on this?

thanks,
Dean

Hi dean3326,

Memory foam is sensitive to temperature so if temperatures are colder than normal in the bedroom then this can certainly have an effect on the softness and performance of any memory foam or gel memory foam.

The choice between memory foam and latex is really a personal preference. Latex is a more "on the mattress’ and resilient foam and memory foam is a more “in the mattress” and less resilient foam and they feel very different from each other. It’s also true that latex isn’t temperature sensitive and will be consistent within any temperature range that you will encounter in a bedroom.

If you are not familiar with the “feel” of latex then I would lie on some mattresses that used it that may be available in your local stores and if you like the way it feel and performs (keeping in mind that it comes in many firmness levels so it’s more the “feel” of latex you would be testing not the softness/firmness) then it could make a great choice.

Phoenix