Trying to decide: Savvy Rest Serenity vs Urban Organics 10" latex vs Healthy Back Bliss Elegance

Just found Urban Mattress, their latex mattress is called urban organics, yesterday when going for a second test at Savvy Rest in Vienna, Va. I have also tested out the Bliss Elegance from Healthy Back in Gainesville, VA. I like the fact that Savvy Rest can change each side of a king to whatever you feel is right for you. I am the one with the back problems and my wife says she can sleep on anything. I am a side and a stomach sleeper and she is a back sleeper. My current favorite choice at Savvy Rest is a medium talalay on top followed by a medium dunlop then firm dunlop. Hers is a soft talalay followed by a medium dunlop then a firm dunlop. The only choices you have at Urban Mattress, a small mattress retail outlet that started in Colorado and now has 11 stores with this one the only one east of the Mississippi, is 6" firm talalay mattress, an 2" soft talalay followed by a 6" and a 2" soft, 2" middle and a 6" core talalay.
Can’t find many reviews on either the Bliss Elegance or the Urban Organics but have found quite a few on the Savvy Rest. 80% positive with 20% negative. The positives were all 5 out of 5 and the negatives were 1 or 2 out of 5. Most of the complaints were no return policy only exchange, a really bad smell that didn’t go away for a long time, one customer said months, and a lot of sagging starting as early as 8 months up to 4 years.
I am leaning towards the Savvy Rest bed because they claim it is all organic and they are a local company, mattresses made in Charlottesville, VA. A close second is now Urban Organics 10" mattress which is three layers glued together with a cotton and wool cover but they have no return policy, only an exchange policy. My third choice, Healthy Back has a 90 day full refund and an 180 day exchange policy which is nice but I think the Elegance may be too soft.
Buying a $3000+ mattress is a big decision and because of my problems with my 6 year old stearns and foster pillow top and the pain I think it has produced is making my decision very hard.
Any first hand experience with any of the above retailers would be helpful
Steve

Hi stevef624,

Urban Mattress must have recently opened their store in Vienna. I already had them included in the list for Austin and in the Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins area. Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

I’ve added them to the list of better options and possibilities in the Washington DC area in post #2 here.

All of the PLB, Urban Organics, and Savvy Rest mattresses use good quality materials. The differences between them is in the type of latex, the amount of latex, and of course in their designs and the flexibility to make changes either before or after a purchase. Savvy rest has a modular design which allows a lot of flexibility to either re-arrange layers or exchange a layer to adjust the feel or performance of the mattress. It also allows you to replace just one layer instead of the whole mattress if the top layers softens before the rest (which is usually the case with all mattresses). Unfortunately they are significantly more costly than other mattresses that are almost exactly the same in terms of materials, design, and flexibility so the local premium for a Savvy Rest vs an online purchase is significant. Whether this kind of premium vs other mattresses that use the same or similar materials is worth it would depend on each person’s personal value equation.

Your own careful and objective testing along the lines of the guidelines linked in post #1 here (which also includes all the other basic information, steps, and guidelines you may find helpful) will also help you decide whether the extra cost of one mattress vs another or one feature vs another is worth it to you.

Phoenix