Trying to find a decent mattress in Albuquerque NM

I bought a Durango Mattress from Denver Mattress the other day. After sleeping on it a bit I think its too firm for me as it puts a lot of pressure on my hips and shoulders when sleeping on my side. I had a Plush Sealy Posturpedic before but i sank in unevenly and it caused pain. Thats why I opted for a firmer mattress. However I’m on a tight budget and I got the Durango for 600. After doing a lot of research and even going to a Sleep Number Store (my number is 45) I stumbled upon this site. After reading a lot it turns out that there aren’t many options for local manufacturers in Albuquerque. I’m going to return the Durango, especially because the last two nights on it triggered migraines :sick: ! Does anyone know of any stores here where I can get a good value (non-S brand) mattress? I was considering trying the Denver Mattress Madison Plush.

Does anyone have experience with this store: www.sleepnairemattress.com

Hi Stevo44,

Hopefully you’ve read post #1 here which has the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Post #5 here has the better options or “possibilities” in the Albuquerque area I’m aware of.

They have added two new manufacturers since I last looked at them (Sherwood and Southerland) so they are certainly a possibility and I’ve added them to the Albuquerque list. With any mattress purchase though it’s important that they are able to provide you with all the details of all the layers in their mattresses (or call the factory if they don’t have the information on hand) so you can make meaningful quality and value comparisons with other mattresses. I would ignore the other brands they also carry (Serta, Simmons, Tempurpedic) which won’t provide you with any meaningful information about the materials inside them and are not good value choices.

Phoenix

I went by Sleep N Air and they had a lot of Southerland Mattresses. The owner told me about the company and they’ve been around for a long time. I liked a Southerland plush pocketed coil mattress that also had memory foam in it. I was amazed at the low price on it around $500. Would this be a good mattress?

I also went back to Denver Mattress where I bought the Durango firm and tried out the Madison Plush. It doesnt have memory foam in the comfort layer and they would do the swap.

I’m kind of torn on what to do.

Hi Stevo44,

A mattress is only as good as the construction and materials that are in it and for me (or anyone) to make any meaningful assessment you would need to know the details of what was inside it in terms of the types of materials, the thickness of the layers, and the density of any polyfoam or memory foam in the mattress. They should provide this to you and if you post it here I’d be happy to make some comments about it.

I can only speak to the quality of the materials and your own careful and objective testing will tell you how suitable it is for you in terms of PPP (Pressure relief, Posture and alignment, and Personal preferences).

The brand is just a label and knowing the details of what is inside it is the only way to know quality/durability or value of a mattress and how it compares with others.

Denver Mattress tends to use good quality materials and have good value in their budget range. The Madison Plush uses 1.8 lb polyfoam (good quality) and latex (among the best quality) in the comfort layers and would be good value.

Here too though your own careful and objective testing is important because no matter what the quality of the materials in a mattress if it’s not suitable for your specific needs and preferences then it would have little value to you.

Phoenix

I’m starting to think that Southerland probably doesn’t use very good quality materials because after scouring the web for product specs I cant seem to find any, other than words like “comfort” foam or “soft foam” their website is utterly useless. The particular mattress i looked at was the charlotte plush.

Hi Stevo44,

Many of the larger manufacturers (and Southerland is in or close to the largest 15 in the country) don’t provide any meaningful information about the quality of the materials they use and rely on more generic marketing information to sell their mattresses.

Normally it’s the retailers job to provide you with the information you need (or call their factory rep to get it if they don’t know) but you could also contact Southerland with the model you are looking at and ask them to provide you with the layering information including the foam density of any polyfoam or memory foam and the type and blend of any latex in the mattress if you thought the mattress and the time and effort involved was worth it.

Phoenix

I tried to contact Southerland via their website, but they havnt given a response. I couldn’t find a toll free number for them. I also asked the owner of sleep n aire if he knew and he didn’t. I asked the people at all american mattress and they didn’t know. What I do know is that Denver Mattress uses good quality foam in the Madison Mattress. I already exchanged my Durango for it and my first night on it was good. I think the only good option in Albuquerque for a traditional spring mattress is Denver Mattress.

Hi Stevo44,

I know that Sherwood is more open about their materials but they may not carry any of the Sherwood innerspring mattresses.

It’s often easier to find out the specs of memory foam or latex and usually more difficult to find out the specs of any polyfoam used in the comfort layers of an innerspring mattress … usually because the density is low and they don’t want to disclose it.

Worse yet they will often try to tell you that only “engineers” or “geeks” really want to know this type of information even though knowing the quality of the materials in a mattress (in the upper layers especially) is the most important part of being able to assess the relative durability and longevity of a mattress and anyone that buys a mattress would generally be interested in knowing how durable it may be.

Denver Mattress may not be the only good option in Albuquerque but they would certainly be one of the better ones … and they don’t make you jump through hoops to find out what is in them :slight_smile:

Phoenix