Trying to find a mattress fit for the wife and I

Me: 5’8" 215 lb, fall asleep on my side and wake on my back
Wife: 5’9" 185 lb when not pregnant, split side and stomach

Currently sleeping on a seven year old wire innerspring edge support that is tied together, it has latex as a comfort layer.

After a king size bed, maybe an adjustable base to go with it?

Considering a few options: Wife really likes the Purple 3, REALLY likes it. I am worried about the longevity and quality of materials for such an expensive mattress.

I really like latex feel, and I think it is the best bang for the buck. SleepEZ keeps coming round my mind, something like a FD, MD, MT setup on both sides. I would DIY, but if she doesn’t like the latex feel I don’t want to be out of options with no trial, unless any suppliers do the same with their 3" slabs?

Last option is one of the Costco Novaform options.

What materials are best for this type of combo? Does latex perform best with a stretchy protector and sheets in a similar manner to Purple?

Thanks!

Hi Moody.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

It would be nice if we could just “accio!” the perfect mattress, right?

, this article on [url=https://mattressunderground.com/mattresses/comfort-layers/buckling-column-gel]buckling column gelI’m not sure where you are in your research so just for easy access, I’ll leave our (in the Purple mattress), and this one about latex as a comfort layer for your perusal.

Additionally, the Mattress Shopping Guidelines may come in handy.

What is it she likes best about the Purple 3? As per our article on buckling column gel, it’s meant to be a very durable material and while it has not been on the market long enough to know this for sure, a reasonable expectation is that is should last as long or longer than most other materials on the market. But, this is all guesswork.

Arizona Premium doesn’t do full returns on DIY components but will do a layer exchange within 60 days if the ILD of the foam isn’t quite right.

Arizona Premium recommends these covers while Sleep EZ (similarly) recommends these.

Ultimately, all other bedding is really a personal choice. There is more information about comforters in the posts and topics that are linked in post #3 here .

There is also more information about the different types of sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that should be helpful as well.

I hope this helps!
NikkiTMU

Nikki, thanks for the reply! I was out of town in remote area for the long weekend, but am back now. I have a bit of analysis paralysis going, which I would wager is common around these parts of the interwebs.

I did read through the links you suggested, which only lead me to more questions when I first stumbled across them. After digging some, trying some things out, I ended up posting on here.

She loves the Purple grid, and as a side sleeper she really loves the 3" model. She liked the way it felt, she like the motion isolation of it, and she loves the pressure relief. While not worried about the actual grid, I was not sure if the materials they used for support and transition to the grid were known to be good or bad quality. For $3300, I can get a SleepEZ and an adjustable base, plus a date night or two, including sitter.

As for the latex feel, is it common for somebody to love a latex pillow but find the latex mattress uncomfortable? We both have Purple Harmony pillows, and absolutely love them. The grid is different, sure, but the feel of the latex is still there.

Thanks!