Trying to find a Mattress

Hello all. Wonderful site. Thanks

We are looking to replace our kingsize bed. Have tried a latex mattress from Plushbeds. While supportive, it was not all comfortable hence not sleeo well so we returned it. Great return policy.

Wife no longer wants bed in a box So … we are shopping at stores. Went to Sleepy’s - I know violating one of the rules. We liked the Simmons Phenom. The description is:

Mattress Build (Top to Bottom)

 Removable Stretch Knit cover with faux suede euro look
 Fire Retardant Sock
 2" NXG® Memory Foam
 1" Advanced NXG® Memory Foam
 1/2" Slow Recovery Latex
 7" Plush Transflextion® core foam
 Gradient Edge®

I am trying to decipher this compared using the Basics training on comfort and support, comfort and core. Not going all that well.

Anyone have experience with this model that they like to share? Anything similar to it that you have had success?

Thanks you.

Hi kannon,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … post #1 here has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best choices … and avoid the worst ones.

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it.

NXG memory foam is 3.5 lb/cu ft which is lower quality than I would generally consider in any layer more than about an inch or so in the top layer and would be the weak link of this mattress. The Advanced NXG is 5.5 lb memory foam which is a good quality material. Slow recovery latex is also a good quality material. They don’t provide the density of the base layer which I would also want to know.

I don’t see this mattress listed on the Sleepy’s site but the short version is that this isn’t a mattress I would generally consider unless durability was not a significant factor in your purchase decision.

Phoenix

Hi kannon,

A mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality of the materials inside it.

NXG memory foam is 3.5 lb/cu ft which is lower quality than I would generally consider in any layer more than about an inch or so in the top layer and would be the weak link of this mattress. The Advanced NXG is 5.5 lb memory foam which is a good quality material. Slow recovery latex is also a good quality material. They don’t provide the density of the base layer which I would also want to know.

I don’t see this mattress listed on the Sleepy’s site and I believe it may be an old model but the short version is that this isn’t a mattress I would generally consider unless durability was not a significant factor in your purchase decision.

Phoenix

Thank you for the good information.

I did read your VERY useful and thorough basics of mattress buying guide. I tried online to get info on the NXG and could not find it. Durability is a key factor in my selection along with comfort and support.

Thank you. Onward to more research.

Thanks again

Kannon

Phoenix - thanks again for the great help.

Well we have looked for mattresses over last few days,We liked the iComfort Savant but was worried about the low quality concerns mentioned on line and I also am concerned with memory foam safety in general.

Today we liked the Restonic Healthrest Latex.

The Restonic Healthrest Latex label said:

2" Medium Talalat Latex
1" High Density Foam,
8" High Density Soft Poly.

Appreciate your insight. Are these considered better quality/value?

Thanks (again).

Hi kannon,

The value of a mattress is relative to what you are comparing it to and the parts of a mattress purchase that are the most important factors in your personal value equation.

To make any meaningful assessments about the quality/durability of the materials though or to make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses you are considering you would need to find out a little bit more information about the mattress.

2" Medium Talalay Latex: This is probably blended talalay which is a high quality material but you can confirm whether it’s 100% natural or blended by asking the retailer or manufacturer.

1" High Density Foam: This doesn’t say the type of foam (polyfoam, memory foam, gel memory foam etc) and also doesn’t mention the specific density of the foam which is the most important factor that can tell you the quality and relative durability of the foam.

8" High Density Soft Poly: This tells you that it’s polyfoam but once again it doesn’t mention the specific density which is the most important information you need to know the quality/durability of the polyfoam. It’s also unlikely that this is “soft” polyfoam if it’s in the deeper support layers of the mattress and this doesn’t seem to be accurate to me.

I would also want to know that these are the exact layers (they should add up to the height of the mattress) and I would also want to know the details of the cover and any quilting layers in the mattress.

If you can find out the “missing” information (and a better retailer should be able to provide this to you or call the factory if they don’t have the information handy) and if they don’t have the knowledge or experience to “translate” it for you so you understand what it means then if you post the information here I’d be happy to make more comments and help you identify whether there are any potential “weak links” in the mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix - got it. Will be visiting another Restonic dealer and try to get the information you suggest.

When we visited a dealer yesterday I did ask for specifics and was told see their website for all of the information. Website was lacking. I will push today to get the details. You have talked me that the devil is truly in the details. Thanks!!

Bruce

Hi kannon,

Restonic is a licensee group and the different factories in the group all have differences in the mattresses they make so the main Restonic site only has very generic information. It’s also very uncommon that a manufacturer’s website has foam specs on their site. The retailer can easily call to get this information from the factory that makes their mattresses and provide it to their customers. Unfortunately many retailers have no idea of the importance of the materials inside their mattresses and know little about foam specs so even if they have the information may not know what it means or be able to “translate” it for their customers. If they are willing or able to provide you with the information then of course you’re welcome to post it here and I’d be happy to make some comments.

It’s always very strange to me that so many people that sell mattresses in the mainstream industry have little to no idea of the quality or durability of the materials in the mattresses they sell and yet will gladly tell their customers that it’s a “high quality” mattress (or worse yet rely on the warranty as an indicator of the useful life of a mattress when it has little to do with how long a mattress will last). The reality is that they are often just as much “in the dark” as their customers.

Phoenix