trying to pick out a memory foam mattress

I am looking for a memory foam mattress, bed in a box had looked like a good idea, because of sleeplikethedead.com’s reviews

NATURAL SILK ELEGANCE GEL was the bed in a box mattress that looked appealing.

but after reading some of the posts here it seems like that is a bad idea because of the 3 lbs of density.

I am a 6’2" 175lbs side sleeper and looking for a medium to soft memory foam, that doesn’t retain heat.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, I read the mattress guidelines but I don’t have any good local stores around and will most likely be purchasing my mattress online

Hi msprotege,

The tutorial post includes a link to the better online memory foam manyfacturers and retailers I’m aware of (in the optional online step).

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

okay thanks I am looking at the optional section some more, my zip is 02878

I was looking at the Tempflow Eros 11 inch Model
but consdiring I haven’t even gotten the price of that yet, I am afraid the price might be out of my range, which I am hoping to keep well below 2k for a King

Do you know of any options that may be cheaper than the Tempflow Eros 11 inch Model and still have good staying cool properties? I sleep rather warm.

Hi msprotege,

I don’t know prices off the top of my head (you would need to check the websites of the other manufacturers or retailers on the list) but there would be many that are in a lower budget range than the Tempflow Eros.

While most memory foam (or gel memory foam) mattresses will tend to sleep warmer than most other types of mattresses … unfortunately there is no specific comparative testing or scientific information available that compares different mattresses in terms of sleeping temperature so outside of the knowledge and experience of a manufacturer or retailer and making general comparisons between the types of materials in a mattress, it’s not really possible to predict or compare how warm or cool any specific mattress will sleep for any specific person except based on personal experience because there are so many variables and subjective factors involved (including where you are in the “oven to iceberg range”). There is more about the many factors that can affect temperature regulation in post #2 here and more about different ways that can be used to cool down memory foam mattresses in post #6 here (memory foam in general tends to sleep warmer than other types of foam) that in combination with your conversations with each manufacturer and your “best judgement” can help you make a more informed choice about whether a mattress will be “cool enough” for you regardless of how cool or warm it may sleep for someone else.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of that are reasonably local to you would be in the Providence list in post #4 here or in the list for the Boston region in post #2 here (which includes a manufacturer in Fall River and in New Bedford).

Phoenix

awesome thank you, I will check out a few of those shops.

but I have a feeling I will end up ordering it online.

from your list I have looked at selectbed, and that seems like it might be a good option, especially given that I can go test the tempurpedic equivalent

a big reason I am considering selectbed is also because of there no restocking or return shipping fees

Hi msprotege,

According to their page here … I believe that the customer would be responsible for the cost of return shipping.

Phoenix

im sorry, I meant selectfoam

Hi msprotege,

Thanks … that makes more sense :slight_smile:

They would certainly make a good quality/value choice. They are one of several of the manufacturers and retailers listed that have a free return policy for their memory foam mattresses and that compare the firmness of their memory foam mattresses to memory foam mattresses made by major manufacturers (most commonly Tempurpedic) so that their customers can have a reasonable reference point before they make a purchase. Both of these (the comparison and the return policy) can help lower the risk of making an online purchase that you can’t test in person before making a purchase.

Phoenix

if you know them off the top of your head, would you mind telling me which other ones have the same return policy?

most of the other ones from your list I have looked at seem to require the customer to pay the return shipping

Hi msprotege,

I would need to look them up to make sure I have included them all (which you can do as well) but I know that at least some include …

http://www.selectfoam.com/page-freetrial.htm

Return Policy - Brooklyn Bedding (free exchange on their Cool and PureCool mattresses … not a return)

Novos Bed 120 day trial

http://www.christeli.com/sleep-trial

Some of the others have a fixed charge for a return that varies by manufacturer.

Phoenix

awesome thank you, another one I found was http://www.restava.com/ (allow I havent found a soft bed on the website that I like yet, I have emailed them for recommendations)

so far these are the beds I have found, I would be getting a king

https://www.novosbed.com/product/harmony-memory-foam-mattress/

http://www.selectfoam.com/cirrus-prima.html

Hi msprotege,

I didn’t include Restava because of the caution that is listed beside their description (see the sticky post here) and for the moment I wouldn’t consider them until they can confirm the specifics of their new designs and materials which they were supposed to do by Sept 15th but hasn’t yet been done.

Phoenix

Okay, thank you, what do you think between those three beds?

Hi msprotege,

There is more about the most important parts of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you compare them based on the criteria that are most important to you but I would certainly consider any one of them.

The Novosbed Harmony is an approximation of the Sealy Optimum Inspiration, the Select Foam Cirrus Prima is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Cloud Prima, and the Christeli Danieli is an approximation of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze so all of these are very different mattresses.

None of them have any weak links in their design in terms of the quality/durability of their materials but I would test each of their “equivalent” mattresses locally to see which one is most likely to be the most suitable choice for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) because this is the single most important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase. I would also make sure you have a more detailed phone conversation with each of them (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here) so you are in a better position to decide which of them would make the final choice that is “best for you” (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Tempurpedic Rhapsody Breeze seems like it is going to be too firm, making christeli danieli out of the running

TEmpurpedic Cloud Prima and Sealy Optimum inspiration look pretty good, and I will make sure to try them out

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Cloud-Collection/Tempur-Pedic-TEMPUR-Cloud-Luxe-Breeze.asp
looks like what I want to try to match, that sounds like a nice bed, and will definitely be trying that out locally

http://www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-mattresses/purecool-luxe-memory-foam
even though it is a little over the price I wanted to pay, getting a bed from one of the four sites that matched the cloud luxe breeze seems like a good idea, and brooklynbedding looks to have the best deal

I am going to also try the Tempur-Cloud® Supreme Breeze to see if I would like to purecool supreme better

I kind of had my mind set on a memory foam, but now that I see the 14 inch Aloe Alexis

I may try a bed like that, seems like a lot of people on the forum like it.
do you know any beds that would be similar to the 14 inch Aloe Alexis with a 6 or an 8 firmness that would be at a something like a sleepys to try out?

Hi msprotege,

[quote]
www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Cloud-Collect...loud-Luxe-Breeze.asp
looks like what I want to try to match, that sounds like a nice bed, and will definitely be trying that out locally

www.brooklynbedding.com/memory-foam-matt...ool-luxe-memory-foam
even though it is a little over the price I wanted to pay, getting a bed from one of the four sites that matched the cloud luxe breeze seems like a good idea, and brooklynbedding looks to have the best deal [/quote]

If you are primarily considering online memory foam mattresses then I would start by testing the Tempurpedic lineup (and the Sealy Optimum Inspiration so you can “fit” this into the picture as well) to find out which of them is the best match for you in terms of PPP and then I would look for online choices that would be reasonably close approximations to the one that local testing pointed to as being the best “match” for me. I would always use your own actual testing experience vs “theory” based on specs.

If for example if your testing indicates that the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe or Cloud Luxe Breeze is the best “match” for you (they are fairly similar) then I would look for online mattresses that approximated either of them.

There is also more about the different ways that one mattress can approximate or “match” another one in post #9 here.

Phoenix