Trying to replicate my 2007 Tempurpedic - what 2021 version would it be today?

Hi,
My husband and I were gifted a queen Tempurpedic for our wedding in 2007 - we love it. We never thought about getting a new mattress until my husband had severe health problems. He’s on feedings tubes and needs to sit up while sleeping - we’re sick of wedges so we sprung for a double twin adjustable bed (2 twin XL = King). We thought we did a good job testing current Tempurpedic mattresses and both picked “firm”. Months later the bed came and now… it doesn’t feel like our old bed. AT ALL. My old Tempurpedic didn’t have any firm or other identifying info on it. Again it was made in 2007 and I don’t believe they organized them the same way. Does anyone know what mattress they make that we could get similar? We need to stick with Tempurpedic since we can return but I believe only for another of the same brand. And we now have their bases. Or maybe we just need to walk on them more? Our bed was 14 years old so maybe it go soft over the years? Any help would be so appreciated. Getting used to sleeping in a giant bed plus adjustable plus these new mattresses is a nightmare!

Hi lifeincolor.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear you’re having a too-firm sleeping experience. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to tell you which of their current models is most similar to your 2007 without knowing the specifications of that mattress.

Which model do you currently have? Are you definitely looking to exchange?

The “good” thing about a too-firm mattress is that you can soften your experience. There are also some topper guidelines that you can use in post #2 here that may help.

It’s likely that your bed did soften over the years, especially if it contained polyfoam or memory foams. 14 years is a long lifespan for a mattress, and the materials do soften and break down over time.

NikkiTMU

lifeincolor:

There were quite a few model choices in 2007 from Tempurpedic. And the designs have changed since then, as have the foam densities. So the new models will all feel different from the models offered 14 years ago.

Some of the models offered in 2007:
Original Bed
Symphony Bed
Classic Bed
Deluxe Bed
Rhapsody Bed
Prima Bed
Celebrity Bed
Bella Sonna Bed
Grand Bed

Look for a law tag / sticker toward the head of the mattress and see if you can glean any information there. It can give you a better starting point.

Overall, if you’re attempting to replicate the feel of your current mattress, it is a bit of chasing your own tail as changing just a few things in a mattress will impact the overall feel. Your best guide will be your individual testing at the store. You are correct that your old mattress will have gone through quite a bit of fatigue and softening, so it will not respond the same as a newer mattress. Sometimes it’s about finding something you don’t like just as much as finding something that you do enjoy. If you are going to make an exchange, at least you have experience with your current model and know that it feels too hard for you, so you have a direction in which to move when selecting a replacement model. That in itself is helpful.