Tuft and Needle comparisons

I have been reading a lot about the Tuft and Needle mattress and it falls perfect in my budget for a king mattress. Their try out policy is wonderful but I am still a little hesitant because of how firm it seems to be. Honestly I’m not sure how firm I actually like a mattress to be, a soft one is always comfy at first but it doesn’t usually feel good when I wake up but I don’t want to sleep on something as hard as a floor either. I’m wondering if anyone has the Tuft and Needle mattress that can compare its feel to another more common mattress that I can go try out in my area.

Hi rein0323,

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most effective way to estimate how firm it may feel for you would be a more detailed conversation with the manufacturer. In the end though … firmness and softness is relative to each person because people with different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences and sensitivities can have very different experiences and opinions about the firmness of any particular mattress (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here but if you have talked with the retailer or manufacturer of an online mattress and you still aren’t certain whether it would be a suitable match for you then the options you have after a purchase to either make changes to a mattress or return it would become a more significant part of the “value” of your purchase so you can use your own sleeping experience to decide whether it is “soft enough” or “firm enough” for you. In the case of Tuft & Needle they have a great return policy (60 days for the members here) so there would be little risk in trying it out and then returning it if it doesn’t work out well for you.

It’s unlikely that you will find a local mattress that is the same because you would need to know every detail about the mattress you were trying to compare and then you would need to find a mattress that has the same design and combination of materials in the same firmness levels with a very similar cover and this isn’t likely (unless Tuft & Needle knows of one that you can test that would be a close comparison). As I mentioned … I would always keep in mind that other people experiences or even a group of people’s experiences on the same mattress may be very different from your own and that your own personal experience is really the only way to know whether a mattress is a good match for you.

Phoenix