tuft n needle back pain

Hi,

My wife and I are on our third week of sleeping on Tuft N Needle bed and we are ready to ditch it. We both had pretty bad pain the first couple of nights. Then my pain went down dramatically, but I still have some pain and I also have to be careful about how I get up in the morning or I might get terrible pain. I’d be willing to give TnN the full 100 night trial, but my wife isn’t.
Her pain after the first couple of nights got better, but its still pretty bad. She can’t get comfortable to fall asleep and she can’t stay asleep all night. So she wakes up with pain and is tired all day. Making it really hard to do her job.
She has never complained of bed back pain as long as I’ve known here. I’m the one with back pain issues. So I’m pretty surprised it has affected her this much. The only thing I can think of is that we are used to firmer beds and this is just not firm enough. I do feel like the mattress is of good quality and feels nice to lay on. But I still wake up with some back pain, so I’m not sure what is wrong with it.
So I came here to ask for suggestions. Should we try another bed like this or should we go with a more traditional bed? What would you recommend? Or if you were in a similar situation, what did you do?

After 3 weeks of back pain it’s probably a good time to sleep on something else.
It’s worthwhile to investigate a mattress with a solid base and individual top layers to conform to each of you.
I know the rule is to sleep on a mattress for at least a month, but if it’s crippling you, it’s time to donate it.

Hi sdmat,

I’m not clear about the specific pain you are experiencing or where in your back it’s located or whether your mattress is too soft or too firm (there are probably more people that would say the Tuft & Needle is too firm than would say it’s too soft) but if there are no signs of improvement after about 3 weeks then I would agree that it’s probably time to return/donate the mattress for something different that is more suitable for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences).

Before you return your mattress though if you believe that your mattress is too firm then there are some suggestions in post #2 here (in particular checking whether the type of mattress protector or any mattress pad you may be using is affecting the feel and performance of your mattress) that may be helpful and if your mattress is too soft then there are some suggestions in post #4 here (in particular making sure your foundation is providing suitable support by testing the mattress on the floor to see if it makes any difference) that may be helpful and would be worth trying before you return the mattress.

I would always keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

As long as the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the guidelines here … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses (see this article) are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice.

In other words … one type of mattress isn’t inherently better or worse than another as long as a mattress you purchase is a good match for you in terms of PPP, uses good quality and durable materials, and compares well to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

My wife says her back pain is in the middle to lower back and she feels like its breakin in 100 pieces.

We both think this bed is a little bit softer than what we are used to.

I just read about the helix bed and filled out the questionnaire and got the attached recommendation. Luckily they don’t recommend we split the bed. Does this recommendation give any insight on what we should try next? I’m thinking the Brooklyn matress or the helix. or lessa? For brookly mattress, we would pick the firm right? I asked web chat and they said medium was softer than tuft and needle.

Hi sdmat,

Unfortunately it would only apply to choosing a configuration for a Helix mattress or another mattress that uses exactly the same type and combination of materials and design.

Based on your experience if you are confident that the Tuft & Needle is too soft then it would make sense to choose a firm if you are considering the BestMattressEver.

Phoenix