Twin Cities Latex Tryout

Hey everyone,

From the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. My wife and I have been looking at mattresses for a while now. I am a back sleeper with lower back pain and she is a mostly side. So far the one we like best is the tempurpedic rapsody breeze on an adjustable base. I am interested in trying out some 100% latex mattresses but am having a hard time tracking any retailers down. Any recommendations for the area? Thanks!

Hi T2P,

As you probably know memory foam and latex are very different materials with very different properties. There is more about the differences between them in post #2 here but it’s good to hear that you want to try some latex mattresses in person because the best way to know which type of materials or which type of mattresses you tend to prefer will be based on your own personal experience.

The better options or possibilities I’m aware of in and around the Minneapolis/St Paul area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here) are listed in post #2 here.

If you are interested in testing a range of different latex layering combinations and firmness levels then a visit to Deborah at DIY Natural Bedding
would probably be well worth your time.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Pheonix! Will look through the post and check out the options. So far the DIY store looks promising.

I was able to make it to DIY and appreciated their help. Although the home showroom is a little odd at first, Melissa was very nice to work with. Came away with a liking for a queen in soft, medium firm. Unfortunately they do not deal in Talalay except by special order so none to try

Following this I checked out a Savvy Rest Serenity. The Dunlop soft, medium, firm felt very comparable to the DIY one. I then tried a but soft Talalay top and that was the perfect fit (sans price).

I have since been looking at all of the component latex mattress members you mentioned Pheonix and right now Flexus is at the top. They offer both a blended and 100% talalay option for the top comfort layer. I am trying to figure out how well their Matress will compare to the savvy rest in general and within that, which talalay option to go with. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi T2P,

The choice between different types and blends of latex is more of a preference and budget choice than a “better/worse”. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here and there is more about blended Talalay vs 100% natural Talalay in post #2 here that can help you decide between them.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart (which would certainly include Flexus Comfort) and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with such as Savvy Rest) than anyone else.

Their closest approximation to the Savvy Rest would probably be using the same type and blend of latex in each layer in a similar firmness level for each layer. While their soft, medium, and firm layers may not be an exact match for the firmness levels in the Savvy Rest you tested … they would likely be reasonably close.

Phoenix