Twin Costco Mattress

I am looking at getting a twin mattress for our 2 year old daughter who is moving in to her first big girl bed. I have been looking at latex mattresses for her based on recommendations I have read on these forums, but I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $500+ twin mattress.

At Costco last night, I noticed they sell a Sealy Eastgate Firm Innerspring mattress for $150. Does anybody have any experience with this mattress?

Any good reasons why I shouldn’t buy this mattress and save hundreds of dollars? Am I really getting any benefit from buying those more expensive latex mattresses?

Hi tbizzle,

You may have read this already but just in case you haven’t post #2 here and the topics it links to have more information about mattresses and children and “safe” materials including a link to some general guidelines for children in post #2 here. It also includes a number of links to the better forum posts and topics about mattress and children as well which have more information about many good mattress choices for children.

You have several good options including latex or latex hybrid options that are less than $500 in a twin.

[quote]At Costco last night, I noticed they sell a Sealy Eastgate Firm Innerspring mattress for $150. Does anybody have any experience with this mattress?

Any good reasons why I shouldn’t buy this mattress and save hundreds of dollars? Am I really getting any benefit from buying those more expensive latex mattresses? [/quote]

I don’t have any personal experience with this mattress but it’s not a mattress that I would suggest anyone consider (unless it was for guests that you are hoping don’t stay for very long :)). The two biggest reasons to avoid a major brand mattress in this budget range (or most mainstream mattresses in this budget range for that matter) is because they tend to be uncomfortable (the price doesn’t allow for much padding above the springs) and they use lower quality and less durable materials that will soften, sag, and break down much more quickly than higher quality and more durable materials. The innersprings are fine but the foam layers above the springs would be a significant weak link in these types of mattresses. These are generally called “promotional” mattresses that are designed for advertising low prices but when people actually try them they usually decide that the lower prices aren’t really worth it.

The benefit of a higher quality mattress would be a better feel and performance (although this is also somewhat subjective), much greater durability that would still be suitable for your daughter well into her teen years rather than needing to be replaced after only a few years, and for some people using less synthetic foams would would also be an important consideration. You certainly have some good options that aren’t much higher than this that would make much better choices IMO.

Phoenix