Twin mattress for toddler (and beyond)

Looking for an eco/health friendly mattress for my daughter who will be transitioning from her crib to a big girl bed soon (she’s almost three). She’s been sleeping on a naturalmat cocomat which we’ve been really happy with, but are now looking for something that will take her into her teenage years ideally. I think I’ve narrowed it down to the european sleep works children’s mattress and the my green mattress pure echo line. With the latter, I’m not sure which particular model we should go with - single or double sided? Latex top? Any thoughts on choosing between these? Anything else we should be looking at in this price point (we’re in nyc if that matters)? Thanks!

Hi Sark,

You may have read this already but post #2 here includes links to some of the better forum posts and topics about children and mattresses and they include much more information about some very good options and sources.

I would personally choose double sided in any of the versions they sell because of the extra durability and very reasonable extra cost. The choice of whether to choose latex or not would be a preference and budget issue and I would talk with them to help you decide between them. I would personally add the latex but that would only be my own personal preference and it would also depend on whether I could comfortably afford it … not because it’s necessarily a “better” choice.

I think it could also be a more suitable choice for parents that spend time with their children on their mattress when they are reading or snuggling because having a foam layer may be more comfortable for them as well.

If you are looking at local choices then the better options or possibilities in the New York City area I’m aware of are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks! And any thoughts on the European sleep works? How do the brands compare? Would the latex in either brand make it better for long term use?

Hi Sark,

I think highly of both manufacturers but the name of the brand isn’t really important and the only way to make meaningful comparisons between mattresses is based on the specifics of the design and the materials in each mattress you are considering. If you talk to each of them they will be able to provide you with more information that can help you compare them. While both of them are very knowledgeable about the materials they use and would be the best source of information about their mattresses … if you list the specifics of your “finalist” for each manufacturer on the forum after you have talked with them (see this article) I’d also be happy to make some comments about the materials in each one and the mattresses in general.

Latex is the most durable of all the foam materials and would be more contouring and softer than natural fibers without any foam although this will also depend on how all the materials and layers in each mattress interact with each other.

Neither one has any weak links or lower quality materials in the design and if these were your final choices then you would be comparing “good to good” and you certainly wouldn’t be making a mistake regardless of which one you preferred or ended up buying.

Phoenix