Two choices of bed and two choices of firmness

After reading and printing out all of your GREAT info, I went into the mattress stores as their worst nightmare - an old lady armed with a clipboard of research. :wink: Still, I found I was a more than a bit overwhelmed with the choices in my lower price range.

I need two queen beds.

At a local mattress store, I went through a 5 minute computer “test”, supposedly designed by Duke University (?). It involved my lying down on a machine bed while it “evaluated” the pressure. (Back sleeper here). They came up with a color code, then supposedly matched it to a choice of 3 beds in my price range that would “work” for me. I have no idea if that is legit; however, they came up 4 bed choices on their floor, including a middle-of-the road Northwest Bedding bed, (plush for me, they said, rather than Euro or Firm), . Northwest Bedding (from Spokane), makes their own lines of beds, but also puts together a bed for this store called the “Madison” line. This local mattress store has been around our Montana city for years, has great reviews, and the owner apparently has Northwest build the three styles according to his own specs. There are few reviews on Northwest Bedding; however, this store has done business with them for over 23 years, and when I called the factory direct they were very helpful and informative.

For the first bed, I purchased the Northwest Bedding plush two weeks ago… ($528 in one of those “forever sales” that the retailers all have). The back pain I’d been experiencing in my 10 year old sagging Sealy has improved, but is still there! I need to try it a week or so longer, I guess. (before 30 days to return it are up). It’s hard to tell yet if it’s my bad back, or the bed.

Now, I am looking for a second bed. (I sleep in the basement in the summer and main floor in the winter as I cannot afford A/C!). After sleeping for a few night’s on a Doctor’s Choice Plush at my son’s house on a visit last Fall, I found it quite comfortable, with minimal pain. The problem is that it was called a “Madison Plush”, and Denver Mattress tells me, “the Doctor’s Choice Plush is the same bed, renamed”. ???

The 2nd bed will be one in which I sleep 8-9 months of the year, but I need to keep it in a lower price range, also. ($500-700) From what I read on your site, that will limit me to an innerspring again. In my price range, I have narrowed it down to another Northwest bed or a Doctor’s Choice.

Part of the dilemma of whether I’ll keep the new Northwest bed concerns firmness. Based on what I’ve read, the plush will begin to sag pretty quickly. I wonder if it would help to get a firm in either brand, then use a foam topper for a few years until the mattress softens? Or will it matter? (The mattress store where I bought the Northwest bed says that toppers don’t help because they can change and defeat the purpose of the original bed surface.) You seem to think that the Doctor’s Choice is an “okay” mattress, and their warranty is a non-prorated 15 years, rather than 10 for the Northwest. I am wondering if I were to get a Doctor’s choice firm, instead of a Plush, and then buy a topper - might that possibly help back pain at all? (I realize that all of this stuff is totally subjective, of course).

Since you are aware of the stats for the Doctor’s Choice Plus, here’s those for the Northwest PLUSH bed I just bought, for comparison:
10 year warranty, non-prorated for the life of warranty (Although I hear that shipping to the factory and back may be pricey!)
They also note that it does not cover “normal softening or recovery time of cushioning components, i.e. poly-foam, latex, Visco-elastic, or get impregnated Visco-elastic, which occurs during normal use of product. Longer recovery times and up to 30% softening of “firmness” is normal for these components and is not considered to be a defect in the material", i.e. not covered.
It has a 650 Inneract support system, i.e. verti-coil a.k.a. alternating coils… opposing coils turned in opposite directions, running vertically with body lines for increased postural support. The wire is 13.5 gauge versus 14.5 for the Doctor’s Choice.
There’s 1.5 lb soy-based bioflex, 3 1/2” of supersoft convoluted foam, which I believe includes a 2" piece of top to foam encasement, and another 1 1/2" of safeguard fiberfill, bioflex supersoft foam with a circular knit cover for the top. The top is also water-base glued to the convoluted layer of quilting on top.

I realize you cannot make a decision for me, but my wee brain, (and lousy back), would sure appreciate some suggestions to consider for the next purchase - and whether it might be a good idea to pay the $67 return fee for the Northwest and get two of the Doctor’s Choice mattresses with longer warranties.

As as aside, I love the games they play in this business. Denver Mattress has a 4 month trial period, but a $45 delivery charge and a $25 restocking fee, where the other local store has a 30-day trial period, free delivery, but a $67 return fee! :S Aaaaargh!

Thanks for any ideas you can give me on this! Your site is awesome, by the way.

Hi granny_k,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us and that the information here could help you. If you follow all the steps in the tutorial post one at a time you will have the best odds of avoiding “information overwhelm” and have the best chance of making the most suitable and “best value” choice.

It seems that you are on step 4 (you have researched the local stores and manufacturers to make sure they are knowledgeable and transparent and that they can provide you with all the information you need about the materials inside their mattresses) so that you can decide on which mattress is the best “value” for you (see post #13 here about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase).

Once you are at this step … then it’s a matter of using the testing guidelines in the tutorial to find the mattresses that are the most suitable for you in terms of PPP and since nobody else can feel what you feel, this part is up to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). Next comes making sure that you are making a durable choice by checking the quality of the materials inside the mattress to make sure there are no weak links and so you can make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. Then the final step is comparing each of your finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price and the options you have available after a purchase) to decide on which one is the “best value” for you.

You can read a little more about pressure mapping systems in post #2 here and post #4 here. They can be helpful to confirm what you are feeling or help you narrow down your choices but I would always make sure that what your body feels is more important than what a machine tells you.

You can see my thoughts about Northwest Bedding in post #10 here and a forum search on Northwest Bedding (you can just click the link) will bring up more information and feedback about them as well. As long as you can find out what is inside any mattress you are looking at they would certainly be well worth considering.

I’m not sure where you are located but if you are in the Spokane and Coeur d’Alene areas then the better options and possibilities I’m aware of are listed in post #4 here. If the store you are dealing with that carries the Madison line, is in the general area (or any area that there is a forum list), they carry Northwest Bedding, and they are open and transparent about the type and quality of the materials in their mattresses, then I would love to know who they are so I can add them to the list.

I also wouldn’t pay much attention to mattress reviews (good or bad) because they won’t tell you much if anything about the quality or durability of a mattress (you need to know the materials inside it to know this) and they also won’t tell you much about whether any specific mattress is suitable for you in terms of PPP because a mattress that is a good match for someone else or even a large group of people may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on (see post #13 here). Of course reviews for the knowledge and service of a retailer or manufacturer can be much more meaningful than mattress reviews.

I’m not so sure this is correct based on the information on their website (unless they have changed). While the Doctors Choice Plush and the Madison Plush use very similar comfort layers … they both have a different innerspring so for most people they would feel and perform differently in spite of their similarities. I would pay particular attention to how they contour and motion separation (if that’s important to you) because one appears to use a pocket coil and the other one doesn’t.

You can see my comments about mattress/topper combinations in post #2 here. While this approach does have the advantage of being able to replace the topper without having to replace the complete mattress … the tradeoff is that choosing a topper that is a good match for a particular mattress and person where you can’t test the combination in person can be almost as difficult as choosing a mattress in the first place. The best way to confirm the durability of a mattress is to compare the materials to the guidelines here. The Madison Plush and the Doctors Choice Plush both use good quality materials and for most people that weren’t in higher weight ranges neither of them would have any weak links in their design or materials.

Unfortunately these specs are missing the density of all the foam layers so I can’t make any meaningful comments about the quality of the materials (see this article). If you can provide the missing information I would need then I’d certainly be happy to comment on the quality of the materials inside it or help you identify any weak links in the design. The support layer (such as an innerspring) isn’t normally the weak link of a mattress although it can certainly change how the mattress feels and performs.

Hopefully this can all help you make the best choice for you and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Hi,
I’m new here, just before I make the plunge and buy a new mattress from Dreamfoam Bedding. My son is 6’ 4" and 230 lbs. It’s either going to be the Aria or the 12" supreme but I’m hoping the 12" supreme will be soft enough, for someone so big, but not sticky hot. Any experience with these models? Also, I’m going to purchase an Ikea slat bed frame. I have written to Chuck but would love to hear other people’s experiences.
Thanks!
Great site, I really appreciate this!!!

Hi Headlightslui,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own.

The first suggestion I would make would be to talk with Dreamfoam on the phone about which of these would likely be the best choice for your son (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). IMO … there are too many unknowns and variables involved to use email as a way to choose a mattress (see post #2 here from earlier today). They will know more than anyone about which of their options will most likely be the best “match” for different body types and sleeping styles based on “averages” and the more information you can provide them the better you will help them to help you make the best possible choice.

Dreamfoam makes mattresses that use high quality materials for their budget range and have great value but I would also be aware that with your son’s higher weight that it may also be worth considering higher density materials unless budget is the most important criteria because this would also increase the cost of a mattress. There are some foam density guidelines in post #4 here that may be helpful.

Post #13 here also has more information about the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase that may be helpful as well.

Finally … I don’t know if you are looking at their Amazon listings or their Dreamfoam site but if you order from Dreamfoam then you have the benefit of having a 45 day comfort guarantee and they also currently have a 10% discount on their mattresses (see their facebook page here).

Phoenix

Thanks so much, Phoenix! I have spoken with Mario, today, at DF, and yes, I am ordering directly from them. $600 is my budget for a queen size bed for my son, and from reading reviews, and with Mario’s suggestion, I’m going with the Aria. I really can’t spend more money, and there are so many things I like about this company that I’m willing to go with it. If it really doesn’t work, we will send it back for the $100. That said, I totally appreciate your thorough response. I am about to read through your links before I press the “order” button, and I have read your wonderful instructive posts, some of which you have linked to in your response. I will go over to donations for your site, after I order the mattress. Many thanks!!! Carol

Hi Headlightslui,

You are certainly making a high quality/value choice in your budget range and with your son’s higher weight it would make sense that they would suggest the Aria which is a little firmer.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m glad that the site could help you and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Thank you again! Next question, lol!
I am probably buying the Hemnes frame for the Aria mattress. I’ve read some of the entries on the site about the best slatted base, but I’m a little confused: to folks recommend the Laxeby or the Luroy, for a 200 lb plus person? Thank you again, this has been pretty amazing, actually.

Hi Headlightslui,

It’s not really possible to recommend one over the other because they are different and each one would have a different effect on the mattress that was on top of it in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). In most cases … a memory foam mattress is designed for and will do best with a solid non flexing support system with good center support to the floor (in a queen size or larger) so from this perspective the Sultan Lade would be the best choice. A flexible support system under a mattress will be a more “active” component of the sleeping system and can have an effect on how the mattress feels and performs compared to a solid non flexing support system. For some people this may be better if some additional give under a mattress would help with pressure points or alignment while for others this may be more risky in terms of alignment because the heavier parts of the body may sink down too deeply which can lead to alignment issues. The only way to know which one would apply to you would be based on your own sleeping experience. If you were to put the mattress on the floor and it worked well for you with a non flexing support surface then I would be cautious about adding a support system that had flex while if your “floor” experience indicated that you may do better with some additional “give” under the mattress then a flexing support system could be a good choice.

A flexible slat support system that doesn’t have any flex in the center where the flexible slats come together can also change the feel of the mattress in the middle for some people compared to the parts of the sleeping surface that are over the flexible slats which may be an issue for some people that tend to sleep more in the middle of their mattress. The effect of flexible slats will be more noticeable with thinner mattresses than with thicker mattresses or for heavier people than for lighter people.

The advantage of the Laxeby over the Luroy is that the tension of the slats in the Laxeby can be made firmer so that the firmness of the slats can be customized under the heavier parts of the body which would lower the risk of any alignment issues that may come from using flexible slats under your mattress.

I’m also not sure that they are still selling the Luroy since it is no longer listed on their page for slatted bed bases here although it is still on their site if you search for Luroy.

Phoenix

Thank you once again!!!