UD 12" and 13" Gel Memory Foam Mattresses vs ComforPedic

I’d like to begin by thanking Phoenix for putting this awesome community together. I’d be sleeping on a pacbed from Bedinabox tonight if I hadn’t found this site and decided to do more research before purchasing.

The TL;DR question I’d like to pose is: Which Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams mattress, the 12" Supreme or 13" Gel, would be a closer match to the Beautyrest Renewed Energy mattress?

The long version:
My wife and I went on our honeymoon this month and slept pretty well on a firm innerspring that had a fairly thin comfort layer. We returned home to our worn out innerspring, and I’m back to tossing/turning and my back is KILLING me. Time for a replacement.

I wanted a queen memory mattress and foundation for under $1000, but wouldn’t mind paying up to $1000 for just the mattress. I read sleeplikethedead and was sold on the pacbed original until I found the underground. I looked briefly at SelectFoam Cirrus Prima ($1099), but I really like the price of the Dreamfoam 12" ($599) and 13" ($699) - right in line with the pacbed.

The wife and I visited a retailer in town (Findlay OH) so we could lay on some name brands. In general, the wife liked the “medium” mattresses over the “soft” or “firm”. We decided the Comforpedic Renewed Energy was our favorite (store called it a plush firm). It’s what I was looking for going in: a comfort layer thick enough that I could sink into, but not a “soft” mattress that left us out of alignment. I also liked that it was quicker responding than the Tempurpedics, but I could live with the slower response.

Thankfully, I found out some details of the renewed energy right here on the forum:

So it looks more like 3" of memory foam with a 1.5" polyfoam over the base foam. I’m left wondering if the 1.5"+2.5" of 4lb, or 3" of 4lb + 2" of 5lb from the Ultimate Dreams mattresses would be closer.

I submitted a message to Dreamfoam this morning, but haven’t heard back. I plan on calling them shortly.

Thanks,
Ryan

Edit: Stats - 6’ 190lb and 5’-11" ~160lb for the wife. More side/stomach than back, but on our current mattress I’m waking up every few hours and trying everything.

Hi goober07,

There is more about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or approximate another mattress in post #9 here.

The specs you listed for the Comforpedic Renewed Energy are probably not accurate and are also very incomplete but even if they were accurate and complete (including the quality and firmness of each layer which is missing) the Comforpedic Renewed Energy has a completely different design and materials than either the 12" Supreme or the 13" Gel memory foam mattress so it’s not likely that either one would be a “match”. In cases where the mattresses are so different then the only way to know how closely one compares to another for you would be based on personal side by side testing. If one of the staff at Dreamfoam is familiar with the Renewed Energy and has specifically compared it to their mattresses then they may be able to share their impressions of how they compare but I personally don’t have any personal experience with either of them and it’s not possible to compare them based on specs … especially when they are very imcomplete.

Having said that … Dreamfoam does say that the 12" Supreme compares to the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and that the 13" Gel memory foam mattress compares to the Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe in terms of firmness (not necessarily “feel” or response rate or temperature sensitivity which can vary widely with different types of memory foam) so if you were to test both of these mattresses (they are fairly widely available) then you would have some sense of the relative softness/firmness of each of them.

I would definitely make sure you talk with them on the phone (see post #2 here).

Phoenix

Tested both the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme and Luxe tonight. Between the two, both of us liked the Supreme. I’m waiting to hear back from Dreamfoam. I called after work and left a message.

Neither “matched” the comforpedic feel, but at this time I can’t justify hundreds of extra dollars for the difference

Hi goober07,

If the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme was a better “match” for both of you then it would seem that the Supreme would probably be the better option out of the two you are considering.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you’ve had the chance to talk with them.

Phoenix

Not encouraging so far. 1 email, 1 voicemail, 2 additional calls to Dreamfoam and a call to Brooklyn Bedding all unanswered.

Anyone have similar experience?

Hi goober07,

I’m not sure how long you waited for a reply but there were a couple of others that were also having some delays in reaching them as well (see this topic).

They were short staffed last week so this may have been part of it and return emails are sometimes filtered out or go to spam folders but they are certainly there answering their phones and returning calls so I don’t know the reason that you haven’t been able to reach them.

As I mentioned in one of my replies in the topic I linked … when you contact them I would mention that you have had some difficulty reaching them so that if there is some issue with their system that others are mentioning as well that they are aware of it because they would want to be the first to know.

Phoenix

Same timeframe and issues as the other thread. I did get a response by calling Mario’s direct line, and he had Chuck call me within the hour. Questions Chuck answered regarding the 12" Supreme:

20yr warranty
2-3 days to make the mattress + 3-4 to ship to Ohio (direct from dreamfoam). Amazon orders are quicker, but no facebook coupon
Recommends fitted mattress protectors over “encasement” type protectors
Slightly quicker responding than the Tempurpedic material

I will be placing an order this week, and will post feedback after we get to sleep on it.

Thanks again Phoenix

Hi goober07,

I’m glad you were able to connect with them … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Update: Received the mattress yesterday. I’m impressed they can fit a queen sized mattress into a 19x19x43" box!

It mostly filled out within a minute. We gave it 4 hours, then installed a cotton terry mattress protector, sheets, and went to bed. Our first night’s sleep was encouraging, but it’s definitely going to take some time to adjust from our old terrible mattress.

Hi goober07,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m glad to hear that things went well for your first night but as you mentioned it can take some time to adjust to a new sleeping surface … especially if it is quite different from what you were used to sleeping on (see post #3 here).

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

Goober, how is the mattress holding up?

The mattress is great! I’m working on building a slat bed frame for it now, and was going to post an update when that was finished. We noticed a very slight softening after a month or so, and rotated the mattress at that time. I’m planning to rotate again when the new frame is complete.

The mattress itself wasn’t a silver bullet for all my sleep problems, but went a LONG way towards a better nights sleep. It is so much more supportive than our worn/cheap innerspring. Sometimes I wonder if sinking in a little more would have been better, but the 12" definitely relieves pressure points that bothered me with our old mattress, and the wife didn’t want any softer. I’m still searching for the perfect pillow, and trying to find the motivation to get up early on weekends…

I was pleased the Dreamfoam threw in a shredded latex pillow. It’s the first shredded latex pillow I’ve owned, and I’ve got mixed feelings about it. It’s almost too adjustable, or under-filled. I can position it just right and love it, but if I move throughout the night (or one night to the next) it’s like starting from scratch again.

Hi goober07,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and another update … I appreciate it :).

You’ve probably seen this but the pillow topic here may be helpful.

Phoenix