Ultimate Dreams 12" Latex matress VS 14" Aloe Alexis --Need Some Guidance

Hello, I have been shopping about a month now for a matress and have read quite a bit on this helpful site.

I have narrowed it down to the 12" UD at $999 and 14" AA. at $1699

Why such a huge price difference? Are both of good quality? Are both of equal quality? Are they durable?

Im having a tough time deciding and could use some guidance. I am familiar of the details of both. but am stuck on the why the huge price difference?

I am 115# …side sleeper…prefer medium firm…and minimal motion transfer

Spouse is 200# side sleeper…no firmness preference…minimal motion transfer

Please help me… =) Thanks

Hi Jade,

Price differences between different mattresses made by the same manufacturer generally reflect the differences in the cost of manufacturing and the different materials and components in each mattress although the margins in higher budget mattresses are often a little higher as well.

The Ultimate Dreams Eurotop is closest to the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss (both have a 3" layer of latex that can be exchanged over a polyfoam support core) and you can see the differences between them in post #16 here.

There is also more about the advantages of the Alexis vs a mattress with thinner layers of latex in post #2 here. The Aloe Alexis has an additional 3" layer of latex vs the Bamboo Bliss which is a more costly material. This would provide more options to customize or fine tune the mattress (either before or after a purchase) either with choosing the initial layers or by rearranging or exchanging layers and with 6" of latex instead of 3" it would be closer to the “feel” of an all latex mattress. Since latex is a more durable material it would also have a durability advantage over the Bamboo Bliss as well for those who are heavy enough to sink into the deeper layers of the mattress because latex is a more durable material even than 2.17 lb polyfoam (which in turn is more durable than 1.5 lb polyfoam).

Phoenix

Thank you for your response. I will look at the Bamboo Bliss too.

I have read on the forums ILD 19 or ILD 28, I’m not understanding this concept. I have read it a few times, but still confused. Can you clarify what this terminology means? ?

In regards to my wt 115# and side sleeper and spouse wt 200#/ side sleeper–

Do you think 2 (3") layers of latex is neccesary? My feeling is I may not sink to the 2nd layer but my spouse will?

This polyfoam core how do you know the quality of it for the Bamboo bliss or aloe alexis and Ultimate dreams 12" before purchase?

Is one better quality than the other?

I just also wanted to say THANK YOU for this site, it’s beyond helpful. Many of us appreciate it so much :slight_smile:

Hi jaide,

ILD means “indentation load deflection” and it is a common measure of the relative softness or firmness of different foam materials. There is more about ILD in post #6 here. I would also keep in mind that it’s only one of the specs that can affect the softness/firmness of a material or a mattress that uses it (see post #4 here).

In most cases it’s best to avoid trying to choose a mattress based on “comfort specs” or “theory” unless you have a great deal of knowledge and experience in what they mean in your own personal experience and how the different specs and different combinations of materials can affect the feel and performance of a mattress. The “quality/durability” specs (see here) are much more important to know.

Unfortunately only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are far to many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict with any certainty which mattress or combination of materials would be the best match for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

There is more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) in post #2 here that can help you minimize the risks involved with each of them without having to know this type of complex (and often confusing) information.

Both Brooklyn Bedding and Dreamfoam are completely transparent about the materials they use in their mattresses and they will provide you with reliable information about the materials in any of their mattresses if you ask them (and you will need to talk with them about your comfort choices anyway) but the information in my previous reply includes the differences in quality and durability between the support cores in all three of these mattresses.

Phoenix