Ultimate Dreams Eurotop

I’m considering the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop for myself and my husband. I like everything about it that I’ve read but need some clarification on the 1.5 density foam of the support layer. Is this an acceptable density for my husbands weight which is around 245 and mine which is 150? What would be the main difference between the support layer on the eurotop vs. brooklyn beddings bamboo bliss?

Also, what would be a good foundation for the bed? Traditional boxspring, wood slats or a metal “contraption” that eliminates the need for a box spring (sorry I can’t remember the name of it) ?

Hi trixieb239,

“Risk management” is a big part of any mattress purchase decision but like anything else that involves risk there is no way to know or quantify what the specific risk would be with any specific choice without the benefit of hindsight. It would be similar to playing poker where you go all in with a worse hand than your opponent. You will win a few of these but the odds are against you and you will end up losing more often than you will win.

In most cases … if someone is in a higher weight range where you will compress the deeper support layers in a mattress more than someone who is lighter then the risks would be higher if the density of the support foam is lower than they would be if the density was higher. This means that it is more likely that you will cross the thresholds between “sleeping well” on a mattress to “sleeping OK” to “tolerating a mattress” to “deciding to replace it” faster than you would if the mattress had a higher density base foam. In practical terms what this generally means is that for most people in these circumstances the mattress won’t last you as long. I would suggest that a reasonable threshold where this could become a more important issue is in the low 200’s. There is also more in post #2 here that discusses this and other related issues in much more detail.

If you are less sensitive to the effect of foam softening and the changes that happen in a mattress over time as you use it because you are closer to the “I can sleep on anything” end of the range than the “princess and the pea” end of the range then this may not have as big an effect as it would for someone that was more sensitive to the normal changes and wear and tear in any mattress over time. Each person’s sleeping habits, their weight distribution, and how “tough” they tend to be on mattresses based on their history will also modify the risks either for better or for worse.

So all of this really depends on the risks you are willing to take, your knowledge of your own sleeping habits and sensitivity, and your history, and then making a “best judgement” choice based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. If a mattress doesn’t last you as long as another choice you could have made it doesn’t make it a “bad” choice … only a choice where you knew the risks were higher that it wouldn’t last as long and were willing to take them anyway vs the likely benefits and lower risk of choosing a mattress that uses higher quality and more durable materials but is in a higher budget range.

The support layer in the Bamboo Bliss is 2.17 lb density so it would be more durable than the 1.5 lb polyfoam in the Eurotop. There are also other differences between them and post #16 here also has more information about the pros and cons of each.

Brooklyn Bedding sells a foundation here and a bedframe/foundation here that would both be suitable but if you want to do more research into alternatives then the foundation post here includes more information about the types of support systems that would generally work best with different types of mattresses and some sources for each of them.

Phoenix