Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress

I see these mattresses on Amazon are pretty highly recommended and come in at a decent price as well. Looking at purchasing one fairly soon. I had a couple questions as I see they have a few offered.

The cheapest option comes in at $600 with 3" Talalay. Older reviews seem to suggest this came with a 2.35lbs of high density base foam which was recently downgraded to 1.5lbs (looks like the price is at least the same or possibly even more now). Is this still recommended with the downgraded materials? Is it Natural latex?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Latex-Mattress-Comfort/dp/B0051AQXZK/ref=sr_1_2?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1377536921&sr=1-2&keywords=ultimate+dreams

They have a newer mattress that states it has the denser 2.35lbs base foam, but it has 3" Dunlap latex and is $200 more at $800. It also claims to be Natural. Dunlap vs Talalay here?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Natural-Mattress/dp/B008E0LZHA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They have another thicker latex mattress with 3" Talalay like the first mattress, but it has a thicker base foam at 8" (vs 6"). However, it doesn’t list the density of this foam, so I am unsure if it is 2.35 or 1.5lbs. How much difference would that extra 2 inches of the base foam matter? I assumed you would want thicker top latex vs the base foam to really matter. This mattress comes in at $900.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Eurotop-Latex-Mattress/dp/B008KQ8YZO/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377537947&sr=1-1

Finally, they have there all latex version 10" at $1800. 6" core could be Talalay or Dunlap. Definitely more than I would like to spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Dreams-Queen-Total-Mattress/dp/B00AAL0HNY/ref=sr_1_12?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377537947&sr=1-12

Really, I am wondering if this seller is still highly recommended. Is the latex all natural (as some specifically state they are and some don’t) and how important is this such as for fumes? How important is the core? Obviously the 4 mattresses have different densities, thicknesses, and of course the last one being latex. Will this have a huge impact on the feel of the mattress or is that 3" top layer the really only important concern? Also, is there some difference between Dunlop and Dunlap (the term used with Ultimate Dreams)?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Huckleberry,

The first place I would start your research is post #1 here which includes links to all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you need to make the best possible choices.

Post #2 here has more about how to make the most suitable choices.

While I don’t recommend specific mattresses (that always best left to your own personal testing or on more detailed conversations with a manufacturer who knows more about their mattresses than anyone) … Dreamfoam is one of the invited members here which means that I believe they are among the best quality/value available … no matter which mattress you choose. I would keep in mind though that the suitability of a mattress and it’s quality are completely different and even if you choose the best quality mattress available it may not be suitable for your specific needs and preferences which means it would have little value to you.

Every design and choice of layers or materials will affect both the feel and performance of a mattress yes because every layer of a mattress contributes to it’s performance and “feel” in combination with every other layer and component … including the cover and quilting.

Their Talalay is blended and their Dunlop is natural. They will also tell you on a phone call any details you wish to know about any of their mattresses because they are very transparent. All latex you are likely to encounter (synthetic, all natural, or blended) is “safe” and has been tested for VOC’s and harmful substances to the same or very similar standards such as Oeko-Tex standard 100. Most of the information you will find online that says otherwise is designed to sell something and not so much to inform and educate with factual information. You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here.

In terms of its contribution to alignment and performance … it’s very important. In terms of it’s contribution to the durability of a mattress … it’s the least important because a mattress tends to soften and break down from the top down. If you are quite heavy and would “go through” the top comfort layers and compress the support core more then the durability of the support core will also play a secondary role. You can read more about the many factors that affect durability in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

You can read their comments about the 1.5 lb foam compared to the 2.35 lb foam in post #4 here and my comments in the first part of post #4 here and if you are up to reading a much longer and more “technical” post then you can read more details in post #14 here.

In most cases the choice between different types of latex (such as Dunlop vs Talalay) would be a matter of preference not a matter of better or worse. They also have customizable choices at their sister company Brooklyn Bedding which also allows for a choice of comfort layers and also allows you to exchange a layer if you make a less than ideal comfort choice and this can be an important part of each person’s personal value equation and can lower the risk of an online purchase.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply Phoenix. I am now considering some higher end mattresses. I was first looking at the 14" Aloe Alexis, but I am not sure about getting blended over natural latex. I like that this has over 3" of talalay, but 14" overall seems a little overkill. Not sure if there is diminishing returns after so much of the comfort layer since most options are for 2, 3 or 4".

I then moved on to some even higher end options such as there total latex model that is again only 3" of talalay, but it replaces the foam core with dunlop. How much of a difference does this make?

I also found a place called plush beds. I don’t see them as a member, but I realize not all recommended places are. They have some nice options as well. There eco bliss and botanical bliss both seem like good options, with one having dunlop base layer and the other using some poly foam (no specs on it though, but it is CertiPUR-US. I like the fact that it is a natural talalay as opposed to blended (since the natural options appear to be more expensive, and I assume are more desirable for no chemicals and better properties). There botanical bliss model is a bit more expensive, but it replaces the foam with natural dunlop. Again, I am just not sure how much of a difference this base layer would make. I mean, you are looking at $800 difference for the 10" queen model between the two. I realize you don’t like to recommend specific mattresses, but any advice here would help. Additionally, the other difference I see is that both use a cotton cover, but the material under the cover is wool on the expensive option and foam on the cheaper one. Now this layer seems pretty thick and I didn’t consider it much when I was initially looking, but how much will this influence the bed? Most of the brooklyn bedding mattresses also have foam (until you get to the more expensive options). The intermediate priced ones have a combination of wool and foam. Thoughts?

The plushbeds description goes into this long diatribe about how great there cotton cover is saying it isn’t woven which they talk about being a huge drawback to many other options. Other companies don’t have as much info on their covers beyond saying they are organic cotton. Is this just marketing?

I did a little more searching around and found both sleepez and foamsweetfoam have a different option of latex mattress. They have multiple 3" layers of either dunlop or talalay (unsure if you can mix the two when ordering, or if this would even be desirable). I am just wondering what you think about these options as they differ quite a bit from the other options I had considered where you had a single (or 2 on the aloe) 3" comfort layer on top of a foam or dunlop thicker layer. I like the fact that these can basically be swapped around to arrive at different combinations instead of having to send the comfort layer back at a charge if you are unhappy with the feel (4 layers lead to 24 combinations if each layer is different firmness). How well does this work? I also thought it was supposed to be softest on top and hardest on bottom? Will having softer layers on the bottom affect the longevity of these layers? They have a warranty and the layers are meant to be swapped like that, but I am not sure what exactly would require a problem. I like that foamsweetfoam has a 30 year warranty and states if a layer loses 1/2" of thickness from fatigue, they will replace it. However, there return policy is not close to as good given the fee they charge as well as shipping on top of that. Sleepez has a better return policy ($95 flat), but there 20 year warranty is pro-rated and I am not sure what exactly would be covered.

Thanks again for the help!

Hi Huckleberry,

You can read a little more about the different types of latex in post #6 here.

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “overkill” but the Alexis has 6" of talalay in two separate layers. You can read a little more about an all latex mattress vs a latex/polyfoam hybrid in post #2 here and about some of the benefits of the Alexis vs a mattress that only has about 3" of latex in the comfort layers in post #2 here. A mattress with more latex would generally be considered to be a more premium mattress because latex is a higher performance material than other types of foam in any layer but of course it’s also more costly.

Dunlop and Talalay are both different types of latex so this mattress has a total of 9" of latex. Latex is a higher performance material and more durable than polyfoam. The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a matter of personal preference and both are very high quality materials.

The members of the site are the only ones that are an official recommendation but there are others that I think highly of. A forum search on Plushbeds (you can just click this) will bring up many posts about them but they can be recapped by saying they are good quality and better value than a mainstream mattress or some other online sites but they not in the “best value” range in terms of their price or the options they have available.

I’m not sure which companies you mean but most good manufacturers will be happy to tell you about their covers if they don’t have information on their sites. Most of the members here have the information on their website.

In case you haven’t read it already … post #1 here is the best place to start your research and has a great deal of basic information and the steps and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices.

Both of these are “all latex mattresses” which means they are very high quality and both are good value. The multiple layers allow for greater levels of customization and layer exchanges for both the comfort and support layers both before and after a purchase which can be an advantage for those who need it or would benefit from the greater design and customization flexibility. The design works very well and both are very good options.

Phoenix

Once again, I really appreciate your input. I still am unsure if there is a certain advantage to a 6" natural dunlop bottom layer with 3" talalay (kind of what I would consider the standard design) to the interchangeable 3" layers.

I think I am leaning toward the second design given the customization. Do you see any drawbacks to this design compared to the first? I mentioned possibly having softer layers below harder layers (where the traditional design would not) even though they suggest this as the mattresses design.

If I went with the multiple 3" interchangeable layers, my next question would be, do you want all talalay or would you recommend maybe a layer or 2 of dunlop as well? Though I believe talalay is a better top layer for comfort, so this would limit the customization of the mattress (given the dunlop would need to be on the bottom layer(s))? I really have no reference here to compare to.

Thanks again.

Hi Huckleberry,

More layers provide more flexibility to fine tune the comfort and support of a mattress both before and after a purchase as long as the layers can be re-arranged or exchanged. This can be helpful when it’s necessary and the flexibility of a design both before and after a purchase can be an important part of some people’s personal value equation.

You can read more about the different types of latex in post #6 here. The choice between Talalay and Dunlop is a personal preference and both are great quality materials that come in a range of firmness levels. You can read a little more about the difference in “feel” between them in post #7 here. Local testing on both when possible is the best way to know which one you prefer. Both types of latex in a suitable firmness level can be a good choice in either comfort or support layers for those who prefer one over the other.

Post #2 here has more information about the best ways to make comfort and design choices.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks again for all the help. I ended up biting on the SleepEZ 10" organic mattress which should arrive next week.

I do have one more concern on the placement of the mattress. This is the platlform bed I have and the support it provides for the mattress with no boxspring:

http://www.platformbeds.com/Newton-Queen-Metal-Platform-Bed-by-Amisco-12169-60-_p_25.html

It has square 1" metal cross supports that connect the two side rails. They are spaced about 1’ apart. It then has masonite panels that sit on top of the 1" metal cross supports. The masonite panels are not most sturdy as they bend fairly easily (they have to for them to slide in as they do) and are only 1/8" thick. However, I feel with the metal cross supports, it should be more than enough to handle the load. Now I was originally looking at getting a foundation from SleepEZ, but the rep recommended just going with some pegboard from lowes or home depot. Now, that doesn’t seem to have a huge amount of ventilation, but I don’t even know how much is really needed (the rep made it sound like it would be plenty). But with my masonite panels, I could simply drill some holes into the boards with no problem. Now this would obviously be the cheapest route which I would be in favor of. Thoughts?

Hi Huckleberry,

I don’t think there is any information or consensus available anywhere about “how much” ventilation would be needed in specific situations or with different mattresses or the balance between support surface and airflow or even a way to measure it objectively so it would be more a “best judgement” situation depending on the other risk factors that may affect the moisture retention of your mattress and the risk of mold, mildew, and dust mites (see post #10 here).

I have no experience with the bed you have but in looking at the animated instructions it seems to me that it would be strong enough and drilling holes in the masonite should probably work fine for ventilation.

Phoenix

Hello all,
I’m planning to purchase an ultimate dreams latex mattress with the customize option from amazon.com. I have two questions and hope you can help.

1. Do I have to enter a promo code to get the free pillow?
  2. Any recommendations from personal experience on firmness level?
    me - 5’9", 170 lbs, side sleeper
    wife - 5’7", 140 lbs, side sleeper
    We tried Serta iComfort and liked the Savant model
    We tried TempurPedic and liked the Cloud & weightless supreme models

thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi kzookris,

No … you just need to let them know you’re a member here.

Everyone is different and I would be very cautious using someone else’s experience on a mattress or “theory at a distance” as any kind of guideline for your own choices. Either your own personal experience on a mattress (or one that is very similar) or the guidance and suggestions of the retailer or manufacturer on a more detailed phone call will have the best odds of success (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I’ll discuss with the Ultimate Dreams folks.